what made you decide to lose weight?

Options
you know,that moment when you said "**** it I'm going on a diet"

personally,it was when I couldn't walk for more than 15 minutes without feeling like dying.
and when my wife told me that she's scared I might get diabetes.
so at first I cut 80% of my sugar intake which was a good start.but after 2 days I just looked at myself and said "**** it,while at it I might as well do a full scale diet"

it's been 25 days now since I started (today is my first MFP day) and I lost 12 pounds.not much I know but I'm satisfied.

so what about you? what caused you to just clean your face of crumbs and start on your weight loss journey? :smile:

Replies

• supermysza
    supermysza Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    My clothes started feeling tighter and I'd already gone up a size from when I was last happy about my body :noway: . Decided that rather than go up a size again it is time to start fitting in my "skinny clothes" again. Also my doc said I'm outside my healthy weight range so it wasn't just a body image issue.
  • Sauron16
    Options
    My clothes started feeling tighter and I'd already gone up a size from when I was last happy about my body :noway: . Decided that rather than go up a size again it is time to start fitting in my "skinny clothes" again. Also my doc said I'm outside my healthy weight range so it wasn't just a body image issue.

ha yea..ALL my jeans don't fit on me anymore..it's just horrible that all I can wear now is elastic wooly pants..urgh I feel like I'm walking downs streets in pjs..
  • meganrpelican
    meganrpelican Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I bought a motorcycle and my sister was taking pictures of me riding it. In one of the pictures she took a photo of me driving away. It took me a minute to realize this was even me in the picture since it was from behind. My back was just so broad and I realized, "If I cant even recognize myself, who have I let myself become."
  • NianMaya
    NianMaya Posts: 108
    Options
    I saw the Christmas pics and hated them all!
  • SeaTurtleJenni
    SeaTurtleJenni Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I stopped swimming with my kids because I didn't want to wear a bathing suit. It made me sad. I love my kids and I love swimming.
  • Animebride2015
    Options
    Going back to 240 pounds and after going from 173 to 210!
  • laursoar
    laursoar Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    During my junior year of college, I had to write a "where will I be in five years" vision for a positive psychology course. I re-read it this fall as I was starting graduate school. I realized that I was fulfilling my dreams in similar ways to what I had hoped, all except for the one where I talked about losing the weight. Somehow, I kept putting off this goal that continuously was hovering in the back in my mind. I decided that I didn't want another two years to go by and got started in a much more realistic and relaxed approach. Here I am, five months later and nearly thirty pounds lighter!
  • Darkaller
    Darkaller Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    The moment my self esteem hit rock bottom and realized the only person that was coming to save me was me.
  • dmeyerman
    Options
    When I realized 40 is just around the corner.
  • sarafischbach9
    sarafischbach9 Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    For a couple years I was maintaining and was pretty happy for the most part about my weight. ( 115-120 lbs ). But I began working all the time, going to school all the time ( 1 hour commute one way ), and I began to exercise less. So in 2013 I put on a little bit of weight. It was not a mere 5 lbs that no one would notice, but I went up 1.5 ( nearly 2 ) sizes. I started to notice the weight gain after I had to get new bras because the old ones were too small I was the same bra size for 2 years. My weight was pretty stable till 2013, but then it really spiked up this past fall. I was always running around and eating out. I saw Christmas photos of myself. Although I was not overweight, I was not happy and knew that if I continued that way I would be overweight in a couple years.

Also most of my clothes were not fitting. I hated all the pictures family members and friends were taking of me. It was a pain in the butt to find a bra that fit.

So I've lost about 11 lbs and I feel a lot better. Almost at to where I was : )
  • NKoz82
    NKoz82 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    When I got pregnant I was diagnosed with Gestational Diabetes which increases my chances of getting type 2 diabetes later in life, it was a slap in the face that my weight was a factor and was putting my baby at risk for complications. When my son was born I looked at his face and knew that he deserves to learn how to be healthy not fat. He deserves a healthy mommy and daddy. He needs to learn that exercise is fun not punishment. I was fat from 6 to 22 and again from 27 to 31 (now). I do not want him to have to go through what I did as the fat kid. Also I want to be healthy and strong. I want to be able to play with him and run. I want to feel good about the way I look. I want to rock a two piece at the pool this summer!
  • sarahmichel101
    sarahmichel101 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    #1 Always been afraid of getting sick
    #2 Mom went for a weight loss surgery consultation (That I DONT want her to get)
    #3 Have 7 months off before I start my next degree....what else is there to do?
  • tlcarolinagirl
    tlcarolinagirl Posts: 1,700 Member
    Options
    Doctor asked if I wanted to start seeing a heart doctor, too. Plus one morning I took a good, long look in the mirror....*shudders*
  • TomVesely
    Options
    Six months ago I had a heart transplant. I am over the trauma of the surgeries and now consider myself to be fully healed. I have a second chance, and I'm not willing to live it carrying extra weight around. By the way...you have a second chance too. Run with it.
  • TheConsciousFoody
    TheConsciousFoody Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    I didn't like how I looked naked anymore and decided it was time for a change.
  • navyrigger46
    navyrigger46 Posts: 1,301 Member
    Options
    My clothes had started to fit better and I was feeling really good about it. I figured I was weighing around 235, one day a scale appeared in my bathroom so I stepped on it, it read 264.4, the heaviest weight I had seen on a scale. $@(% THAT!!!! That day I started cutting portions, the next day I started running, and a few weeks later I found MFP and haven't looked back.

264.4? $@(% THAT!!!!

Rigger
  • chucker29
    Options
    My inspiration is my wedding in August :D Obviously, I think that my fiancé is gorgeous and always looks his best so, on our wedding day, I want to feel like I am looking the same. All of your stories are so inspirational! Best of luck to everyone!!!
  • Chezzie84
    Chezzie84 Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    There were many things for me:

* When I realised my clothes were getting tight. This was the second time =( I had already gone from a loose UK size 14 to a tight size 16 and I couldn't afford to buy more new clothes. Not when there was perfectly good clothes in the wardrobe.
    * When I got on the scales after Christmas and realised I was the heaviest I had ever been.
    * When I looked at some photos of myself taken about 6 years ago and then looked in the mirror. I couldn't believe it was the same person.
    * When I decided I want to be a mom and was given by my doctor information on the increased risks to me and my baby if I am overweight.
  • Chezzie84
    Chezzie84 Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    When I got pregnant I was diagnosed with Gestational Diabetes which increases my chances of getting type 2 diabetes later in life, it was a slap in the face that my weight was a factor and was putting my baby at risk for complications. When my son was born I looked at his face and knew that he deserves to learn how to be healthy not fat. He deserves a healthy mommy and daddy. He needs to learn that exercise is fun not punishment. I was fat from 6 to 22 and again from 27 to 31 (now). I do not want him to have to go through what I did as the fat kid. Also I want to be healthy and strong. I want to be able to play with him and run. I want to feel good about the way I look. I want to rock a two piece at the pool this summer!

^^This^^
    I am not a mom or even pregnant but this is how I feel =)
  • HealthyWiaaam
    Options
    I started to feel not good at all (very tired, headaches, not motivated) then I neglected myself a bit and at the end I didn't even want to go out my apartment. I want to be with my friends, to find a job, to be in a good mood and I thing I need to be in a good health in order to do that.