Anybody with shin splints? Advice/anything that helps?

Options
I get extreme shin splints, namely when running or power-walking . They are excruciating to the point where i simply have to stop. Cant even walk. I then kinda slowly limp home. Its not a problem when using the elliptical or anything like that, but when i have to quickly jet to the store, they act up, and it winds up taking me twice as long to get back. I wear pretty good quality shoes, but if there are any that are known to help with this problem, i'd be willing to check them out.

Is there a way to lessen the pain? Google is pretty fruitless and just tells me its the muscle pulling from the bone or something.

=[

Replies

• jessicabeauty1
    Options
    bump
  • FrankiesSaysRelax
    FrankiesSaysRelax Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    Rest and stretching were the only things that helped me. Also, think about going to a running store and having them watch you run. They'll recognize what your specific issues are and will recommend shoes that correct that.
  • JenniCali1000
    JenniCali1000 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    The only thing that helps my shin splints is rest :/ Sucks, but it works.
  • Leonidas_meets_Spartacus
    Options
    Try running every other day and rest the muscles 48 hrs between the runs. I also had to switch to minimalist shoes for a while before the shin splints went away. Now I use regular running shoes but minimalist shoes helped me improve my running form.
  • breasyd2
    Options
    This is what I was told by a trainer when I had them. Once you have them, you need to rest. To avoid getting them, you need to do calf-strengthening exercises. Good luck and feel better soon!
  • HappyStack
    HappyStack Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    Minimalist shoes will likely make them worse.

Firstly, RICE whenever possible for 2 weeks. Don't run or walk too hard during this time, either... let yourself fully heal.
    Secondly, it's because your body is not used to exercise or that particular exercise. Build up to it slowly once you've fully healed, don't run every day 3-4x a week at most... it might even be a good idea to do what I do and run on grass or another soft surface for a couple of weeks after you've healed.

You should have proper running shoes. If you can afford to, get them fitted professionally.

Lastly, the absolute best way to avoid shin splints is to get strong and more flexible. Add in a bodyweight routine to your workouts.
  • FromHereOnOut
    FromHereOnOut Posts: 3,237 Member
    Options
    This is what I was told by a trainer when I had them. Once you have them, you need to rest. To avoid getting them, you need to do calf-strengthening exercises. Good luck and feel better soon!

Sounds like good advice.

OP, I used to always get them. I never considered running an option. Then I decided I wanted to become a runner and once I started, I of course got them. I also had some knee problems early on. I started with good shoes, I rested as needed and I worked very hard on form while running (focusing on every little step and varying uphill and downhill and focusing on stance changes, etc) and stretching properly afterwards. Once I got the form & the landing right, the more I ran the fewer problems I had. I feel in some ways as though I had to "toughen up" the shinsplint area, but maybe it was just a matter of adding calf strength (^as suggested above). I don't know, but just wanted to let you know that it's possible to go from being someone who "always" gets them, to becoming a regular runner. Currently, I still have some calf-related problems (plantar fasciitis in one foot), but I suspect it has more to do with walking in some rain/snow boots that I have that are a little too big, but it reminds me to stretch well and often.

On top of good shoes, resting, stretching, I would advise you to read up online about running form and to become super aware of your form. I found forward-lean (falling forward) helped in the beginning; and keeping my body low (like ducking under a low ceiling) and landing lightly are very helpful and have also helped me to be able to maneuver many types of terrain without too much difficulty.
  • cholepapi
    Options
    I used to get them. I agree with everyone about the rice method, however start and stay on the bike until you heal. :))
  • amandakev88
    amandakev88 Posts: 328 Member
    Options

Sounds like good advice.

OP, I used to always get them. I never considered running an option. Then I decided I wanted to become a runner and once I started, I of course got them. I also had some knee problems early on. I started with good shoes, I rested as needed and I worked very hard on form while running (focusing on every little step and varying uphill and downhill and focusing on stance changes, etc) and stretching properly afterwards. Once I got the form & the landing right, the more I ran the fewer problems I had. I feel in some ways as though I had to "toughen up" the shinsplint area, but maybe it was just a matter of adding calf strength (^as suggested above). I don't know, but just wanted to let you know that it's possible to go from being someone who "always" gets them, to becoming a regular runner. Currently, I still have some calf-related problems (plantar fasciitis in one foot), but I suspect it has more to do with walking in some rain/snow boots that I have that are a little too big, but it reminds me to stretch well and often.

On top of good shoes, resting, stretching, I would advise you to read up online about running form and to become super aware of your form. I found forward-lean (falling forward) helped in the beginning; and keeping my body low (like ducking under a low ceiling) and landing lightly are very helpful and have also helped me to be able to maneuver many types of terrain without too much difficulty.

very interesting. no clue why but i never considered that jogging also had a certain 'form' to follow. my lungs used to feel kinda cold and sore, and i learned about breathing techniques, but have never read about jogging form.

i always thought i had pretty strong calves, but it never really occured to me that the calf muscle is the same muscle touching the shin. brain fart!

thank you all
  • Ciniharts
    Options
    I get them too, and my friend suggested I pick up some Scorbatate - it's a Vitamin-Mineral Supplement. I saw an improvement after taking it once a day for 4 days, maybe it will help you too?
  • MizTerry
    MizTerry Posts: 3,763 Member
    Options
    Rest
    Ice
    Ibuprofen
  • Frank_Just_Frank
    Frank_Just_Frank Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    Wouldn't it help to work on strengthening your legs? Isn't it a muscle problem?
  • handyrunner
    handyrunner Posts: 32,662 Member
    Options
    search for exercises... calf raises...toe taps, lifting a weight with your foot.

when I had it I used compression every night in bed...

tried specialty shoes they made it worse so went back to neutrals.

it does get better though If you stretch and exercise the ankle

edited for auto correct
  • keesler2014
    Options
    Hello! I understand your pain. I found out that I had really high arches and getting fitted for the proper running shoe helped a lot. Do rest just like everyone is saying. I hope you feel better soon! :smile:
  • pshenfield
    pshenfield Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I have had shin splints before. If you are running or walking on a treadmill, make sure you use at least a .5 incline it will alleviate shin splint later.
  • crazyvermont
    crazyvermont Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Had severe shin splints when playing football, both in high school and college and there are some exercises you can do......any sports trainer can assist in doing. Most are a form of stretching ie trainer had weights on front of my feet and having me stretch forward and upward(something similar to a lunge). Rest is definitely best option but sounds like you might have a reoccurring issue with your running, so may have to work through
  • handyrunner
    handyrunner Posts: 32,662 Member
    Options
    just don't let it progress to a stress fracture..PT May be able to help
  • Cheska47
    Options
    When I first started running I had a bad time with shin splints, got so I could only do a slow walk. Taking some time off will definately help. I found doing lots of calf stretches helped and also some toe raises - worked up to 100 per side each day.
    In the meantime maybe try some compression calf sleeves or socks or even apply some k tape when working out.
    It takes time ....good luck!
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    Strengthening the muscle on the front of the shin, by doing toe raises, is also helpful. You lift your toes by flexing the foot as your weight shifts to your heel.
  • kmalacho
    kmalacho Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I also got very very bad shin splints when I started running. I found that running more than once every 5 days was too much for me in the beginning so I also cross trained on the elliptical, bike, and erg on the other days. I also slowed my running pace waaaay down. I've been able to work up to running twice a week now, but still have to be diligent to avoid recurrence. I got shoes fitted by a running store, try to focus on proper running form during the run, stretch my legs well after running, and then immediately ice my shins when I get home. I ice them on the in-between days also. I do calf raises daily to strengthen my calves. I also roll out my calves with The Stick. If I start to feel them coming back, I take an extra day off of running and perhaps take a single Naproxen to ease the inflammation.

It's still a struggle for me to avoid them. I used to feel bad that I couldn't run 3-4 times/week and that I was going sooo slow (like <5 mph), but that's just what my legs need until they get stronger and more comfortable with running. And with practice, I AM getting stronger, faster, and improving my endurance without getting shin splints.

A previous poster is correct. In my experience, once you have them bad, you need to rest for a week or two. But don't let it get you down on running. You can do it!