Is Insanity Worth it?

Options
I'm thinking about springing for Insanity, but I'm wondering if it's worth it? What if I don't have the motivation to do it? Has anybody here had any results with it? It's supposed to be really invigorating, and I really want to do it, but I don't know if it's worth the $120?

Replies

• Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    It is hard as hell, and unless you are already pretty fit, you won't keep up.
  • slgreene86
    Options
    It is hard as hell, and unless you are already pretty fit, you won't keep up.

Well see that's what I was thinking, but I feel like if I can keep up the motivation to do, or even force myself to do it, it'll eventually get easier?
  • slgreene86
    Options
    Or even if I were to do the first video repeatedly until it became easier and then move on to the even harder stuff?
  • HappyGladGal
    HappyGladGal Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Tagging
  • Derpes
    Derpes Posts: 2,033 Member
    Options
    You can find the workouts from month 1 on dailymotion......
  • jessieboyd12
    jessieboyd12 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I done it only for about 2 weeks because my brother has it and I have to go up his home to do it and I haven't been able to but it is very hard! It will totally get you in better shape than you are now. Even the people who do it has problems and has to take breaks during the workout. I have to take breaks. If you try your hardest and commit to doing them you will see results! Now these videos are about 40-50 minutes long depending on the video. Good luck! I have been going to fitnessblender.com to some videos since I haven't been able to go to my brothers. I recommend doing those videos everyday first before Insanity because you may not want to spend the money doing them.
  • DownsizingAaron
    DownsizingAaron Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Found a ton of them for sale on Craigslist when I just looked - multiples in the $50 - $75 range - you could consider buying from there!
  • Ctrum69
    Ctrum69 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I spent a lot of time hemming and hawing over whether I wanted Insanity or DDPYoga.. after spending time on the forums for both, and talking to people who had done both (many hitting the point where Insanity was just taking too much time, or they had hurt themselves doing 9t, and ended up doing DDPY anyway), and ended up with the DDPY.

Just my.02, but I've seen a lot of people get awesome results with the DDPY, and all that requires is a device to play the videos and a mat (or towel, or rug).
  • slgreene86
    Options
    I done it only for about 2 weeks because my brother has it and I have to go up his home to do it and I haven't been able to but it is very hard! It will totally get you in better shape than you are now. Even the people who do it has problems and has to take breaks during the workout. I have to take breaks. If you try your hardest and commit to doing them you will see results! Now these videos are about 40-50 minutes long depending on the video. Good luck! I have been going to fitnessblender.com to some videos since I haven't been able to go to my brothers. I recommend doing those videos everyday first before Insanity because you may not want to spend the money doing them.

Thank you! I didn't know you could find the videos online since it's copyrighted, but I'll definitely search those out. I guess if I can do the workouts from the first couple of weeks, I decide then if I want to buy the full thing.
  • Laura732
    Laura732 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    If you do decide to go for it, order it directly from Beachbody. I believe they have a 60 day guarantee. If you find out it isn't for you, you can get your money back. I was running 4 mi a day last summer and tried it. It was too much for me! I ended up w/ Les Mills Combat (also from Beachbody). The routines and transitions between moves are really quick.
  • slgreene86
    Options
    You can get good workout videos for literally a tenth the price--why do you want insanity specifically?

Because the other workout DVDs just don't really make me want to do them. Watching people do insanity through endless youtube videos makes me want to take on the challenge and earn the "I earned it" tshirt they give out to participants. Like people say, you have to be insane to complete insanity.
  • slgreene86
    Options
    If you do decide to go for it, order it directly from Beachbody. I believe they have a 60 day guarantee. If you find out it isn't for you, you can get your money back. I was running 4 mi a day last summer and tried it. It was too much for me! I ended up w/ Les Mills Combat (also from Beachbody). The routines and transitions between moves are really quick.

Yeah, that's what I heard. I'm thinking about looking up some of the videos online and deciding from there if I want it. Then, if it's truly to hard, I'll get my money back.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    If you aren't very fit or haven't done extreme workouts, I would highly suggest an easier workout such as chalean extreme or turbofire or at least T25. Insanity is one of the hardest workouts and I don't think it's good for amateurs.

I would also suggest getting them from BB because a lot of the ebay or craigslist ones are copies.
  • slgreene86
    Options
    If you aren't very fit or haven't done extreme workouts, I would highly suggest an easier workout such as chalean extreme or turbofire or at least T25. Insanity is one of the hardest workouts and I don't think it's good for amateurs.

I would also suggest getting them from BB because a lot of the ebay or craigslist ones are copies.

What do you think would be good for people with intermediate fitness that's still high intensity? I was also thinking about Turbo Fire, but I feel like it's not going to do as much as Insanity would.
  • psuLemon
    Options

What do you think would be good for people with intermediate fitness that's still high intensity? I was also thinking about Turbo Fire, but I feel like it's not going to do as much as Insanity would.

I would rather start with a program with more resistance training like P90X. Also, your calorie deficit is what provides results. Believe it or not, it's not the program that provides the results, it's the diet. The programs are for fitness and a guide to getting you started. If you eat like crap, you won't lose regardless the program. Personally, anytime you can bring in more weight training, the better. In fact, when I did insanity (after P90X), I lost a lot of strength. After a month, i changed and did the p90x/insanity hybrid to get stronger again. Personally, my two favorite workouts are P90X3 (currently doing the doubles workout and not a bad starter program) and Body Beast.
  • jessieboyd12
    jessieboyd12 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    On fitnessblender.com it is not the same exact videos but there are lots of them with different times and intensity levels but as I was doing some of the HIIT cardio lots of the moves are the same. They get your heart rate up and you do feel like you have done some work! Just go through the videos and try them. I'm new to that website also. Its great because they are all a little different which is great because it wont get your body used to the same things.
  • slgreene86
    Options

I would rather start with a program with more resistance training like P90X. Also, your calorie deficit is what provides results. Believe it or not, it's not the program that provides the results, it's the diet. The programs are for fitness and a guide to getting you started. If you eat like crap, you won't lose regardless the program. Personally, anytime you can bring in more weight training, the better. In fact, when I did insanity (after P90X), I lost a lot of strength. After a month, i changed and did the p90x/insanity hybrid to get stronger again. Personally, my two favorite workouts are P90X3 (currently doing the doubles workout and not a bad starter program) and Body Beast.

Yeah, I feel like if I did a program with a lot of weight training and gained more muscle mass, it'd be easier to have the fat come off. I've also been keeping an eye on everything I eat, so if I were to get something like P90X or even Asylum (the pre-cursor to insanity) it'd prep me for even more extreme workouts.
  • psuLemon
    Options

Yeah, I feel like if I did a program with a lot of weight training and gained more muscle mass, it'd be easier to have the fat come off. I've also been keeping an eye on everything I eat, so if I were to get something like P90X or even Asylum (the pre-cursor to insanity) it'd prep me for even more extreme workouts.

You don't have to worry about gaining any muscle.. if you are in a deficit, it won't happen. It's extremely hard for women to gain even in an anabolic state, let alone a catabolic one. So if you are in a deficit, you will retain more water (to repair your muscles), but you won't gain muscle.
  • slgreene86
    Options

You don't have to worry about gaining any muscle.. if you are in a deficit, it won't happen. It's extremely hard for women to gain even in an anabolic state, let alone a catabolic one. So if you are in a deficit, you will retain more water (to repair your muscles), but you won't gain muscle.

It's almost impossible for me to gain water weight tho since I'm on a diuretic, so what effect would that have on me?