I'm confused, what does "eating clean" really mean?

Options
There are tons and tons of websites and of course google to help tell me what eating clean is. But I'm just confused, I'm not dumb or perhaps I am? I look up "eating clean" and sites just basically say eat clean proteins, veggies, fruits, nuts and such.

But what do they mean by eating clean? How do I prepare my proteins? Do I just use salt and pepper? Can I add other spices? Some of the recipes I use requires some sugar or honey is that okay? Or is that not clean?

I would love a more thorough explanation please. I'm a college student living at home and I cook for my parents and siblings, I just want to have a better understanding so I can help my entire family, not just myself.

TIA, I appreciate it :)

Replies

• Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options
    Nobody knows what it means. It's provocative. It gets the people going.
  • rejectuf
    rejectuf Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    Normally means don't eat processed food. It's a buzz word right now so you'll see 500000000 different definitions.

Basically, shop around the perimeter of the supermarket. If the majority of your purchases come from produce, dairy, and meat you're probably doing well.

And yeah, season stuff however you want. Don't go nuts with the sugar of course, but otherwise go nuts with the spices.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options

:heart: :heart: :heart: :drinker:

You are confused because there is no "real" meaning. Many people interpret it different ways. The link I liveheavyacrylics posted are good explanations.
  • TheSlorax
    TheSlorax Posts: 2,401 Member
    Options

No it's not. It's gross.
  • pixiewings101
    Options
    So it basically means prepare your own food (how you want to) and not go out and get fast food.
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options

:heart: :heart: :heart: :drinker:

You are confused because there is no "real" meaning. Many people interpret it different ways. The link I liveheavyacrylics posted are good explanations.

Yessssss! Someone got it.
  • HappyStack
    HappyStack Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    Clean eating is that false sense of health you get at the beginning of every other "diet".
    Clean eating is the precursor to binge eating.
    Clean eating is part of the reason people think they're addicted to food.
    Clean eating is why people feel "healthy" means "bland and boring" or "complicated".
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    So it basically means prepare your own food (how you want to) and not go out and get fast food.

Did you read the first link I posted? It means minimal processing. But what "minimal" means is different depending on who you ask. So to some people cheese might be fine, but to some people it might be off limits. It goes off of the erroneous assumption that processing food is always unhealthy.
  • 3dogsrunning
    Options

No, not really. A lot of people consider a lot of ingredients "off limits". What those are depends on what version of "clean eating" you follow.

Paleo "clean" is different from Tosco Reno's version of "clean eating" which is different than (I can't remember the doctor's name) clean diet - which is basically vegan.

For example, some allow for "natural" sugar substitutes like stevia and agave nectar, others do not. MIlk and milk products is another thing that is considered clean for some and not others.

There really is no definition. Its all how people interpret whatever version they are doing.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,018 Member
    Options
    It's whatever anyone says it is, in other words all the answers your going to get to night are 100% correct regardless of how ridiculous or wrong another person may feels, right. :wink:
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options
    "Eating clean" is diet-speak for being pretentious.
  • abheshek
    abheshek Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    It means different things to different people.For the likes of me who are into super heavy lifting it means no junk and only protein.
  • Ctrum69
    Ctrum69 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    as non processed, and as natural as possible.

Other definitions:

No meat.

No dairy.

No gluten.

No sugar.

No soy.

No fun.

honestly though, the less processed and less preserved the food, the better it is believed to be for you.

velveeta < american cheese pre-wrapped < deli american < mild cheddar processed cheese < heluva sharp cheddar that has three ingredients.

Nutrasweet < HFCS < regular corn syrup < white table sugar < raw sugar < agave nectar.

Let not the best be the enemy of the good, but pay attention to what's going in your mouth, including all the unpronounceable stuff after "Water, Sugar, flour... " on the labels.
  • 3dogsrunning
    Options
    It means different things to different people.For the likes of me who are into super heavy lifting it means no junk and only protein.

Only??
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    It's what I do after the shower.
  • LishieFruit89
    LishieFruit89 Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    "Eating clean" is diet-speak for being pretentious.

This
  • rejectuf
    Options
    Another definition that may help you out is that "eating clean" is staying within the parameters of what you consider to be a healthy diet.

Of course almost anyone would consider vegetables and fruits part of a healthy diet.

Some may consider meat, others might prefer meat alternatives (tofu/tempeh)

Basically think about your goals and what you consider to be a healthy diet. Think about what you want going into your body on a regular basis. If you're hitting that goal, then congrats, you're "eating clean".
  • rejectuf
    Options
    Clean eating is that false sense of health you get at the beginning of every other "diet".
    Clean eating is the precursor to binge eating.
    Clean eating is part of the reason people think they're addicted to food.
    Clean eating is why people feel "healthy" means "bland and boring" or "complicated".

Did clean eating pick on you in elementary school or something?