"No eating after 7pm!"

Options

Replies

• SoozeE512
    SoozeE512 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    I think the reason this is suggested for people trying to lose weight is because a lot of people eat mindlessly in front of the TV and don't pay attention to the number of calories they're eating, they'll consume a whole bag of chips or a whole tub of ice-cream and not realize what they've done until they realize the container is empty. For those people, giving them this rule of "no eating after 7 pm" could potentially help them cut back on those excess calories. At least, that's what I think people are trying to achieve with this "dieting rule".

But for people making an honest effort to track their calories, so long as they are sticking to their goals, the time of day they eat doesn't matter.
  • endoftheside
    endoftheside Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    If you finish up your calories for the day with your 6PM dinner, then eating after 7 is not going to help you out. Many people who overeat would have a deficit if they ate normally during the day and cut off at a certain time. If the foods you eat after 7PM are the chips and cake variety, you aren't going to be missing out on any important nutrients by skipping them. If the eating you do after 7PM is of the emotional variety, then you can pack in a LOT of calories without being satisfied, and getting a handle on emotional eating is critical no matter what time of day it happens. Those are the reasons I can think of that I would not eat past a certain time.

That being said, if I want to eat past 7, I just plan it into my day, make sure it fits into my calories and macros, and then go for it. No problem. :drinker:
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    This is a good practice if you tend to overeat in the evening. But if you work erratic hours and need to eat after work, this rule doesn't make sense. Do what works for you.
    see I find it to be the opposite

I was always running out of calories and going over at night.

Now I just have some coffee in the morning and eat lightly during the day and the majority of my calories late in the day. It makes me really happy.
  • Rosplosion
    Rosplosion Posts: 739 Member
    Options

I was always running out of calories and going over at night.

Now I just have some coffee in the morning and eat lightly during the day and the majority of my calories late in the day. It makes me really happy.

Or this! This is what I like to do as well.
  • Bebubble
    Bebubble Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    I copied this a few years back so I could remember it. Not sure where i got it. Hope it helps!
    Carbohydrate consumption causes a significant rise in the storage hormone insulin, which also puts the breaks on fat burning. That’s a recipe for disaster in the late evening hours as your metabolism is winding down, but fortunately, slow-digesting protein isn’t.
    Instead, slow-digesting proteins provide your body with a steady flow of amino acids throughout the night to help you recover from exercise and maintain your calorie-burning lean muscle as you lose fat.
    You may have heard that eating before bed is a big-time “no no” for those looking to lose weight. In fact, you’ve probably even heard that eating late at night will undoubtedly cause you to GAIN weight… even worse!
    Well, there’s good news, and that good news is that not every food that you eat past 7PM will be automatically deposited to your butt, thighs, and love handles. In fact, there are certain foods that you can eat as a late-night snack that can actually INCREASE your fatloss results! The key is knowing which foods to eat, and which to avoid, as the evening progresses.
    Here’s a good rule of thumb: Avoid carbs before bed in favor of slow-digesting, high-quality protein.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    I copied this a few years back so I could remember it. Not sure where i got it. Hope it helps!
    Carbohydrate consumption causes a significant rise in the storage hormone insulin, which also puts the breaks on fat burning. That’s a recipe for disaster in the late evening hours as your metabolism is winding down, but fortunately, slow-digesting protein isn’t.

Protein is also insulinogenic.

Instead, slow-digesting proteins provide your body with a steady flow of amino acids throughout the night to help you recover from exercise and maintain your calorie-burning lean muscle as you lose fat.
    You may have heard that eating before bed is a big-time “no no” for those looking to lose weight. In fact, you’ve probably even heard that eating late at night will undoubtedly cause you to GAIN weight… even worse!
    Well, there’s good news, and that good news is that not every food that you eat past 7PM will be automatically deposited to your butt, thighs, and love handles. In fact, there are certain foods that you can eat as a late-night snack that can actually INCREASE your fatloss results! The key is knowing which foods to eat, and which to avoid, as the evening progresses.
    Here’s a good rule of thumb: Avoid carbs before bed in favor of slow-digesting, high-quality protein.

This is false.

Fat accumulation occurs when fat storage exceeds fat oxidation. When you exceed caloric needs over time, you gain fat. When you eat fewer calories than you need over time, you lose fat. This happens even if you eat all of your calories at night.

weightology.net/weightologyweekly/?page_id=319
  • sarahmichel101
    sarahmichel101 Posts: 158 Member
    Options

Thank you. Where did you get this?
  • BrownEyeAngel
    BrownEyeAngel Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    There are days I like to eat popcorn late at night while watching a movie. I do believe it depends on what you eat.
  • nataliesweet19
    Options
    it´s not 7 pm exactly, it´s more about not eating 3 hours before going to sleep or something like that . I eat at 10 pm (and go to sleep preeeetty late) and it´s fine.
  • Frank_Just_Frank
    Frank_Just_Frank Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    People always come up with these rules. Isn't it always technically after 7pm?
  • Fishshtick
    Fishshtick Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    7 pm where? You realize of course that it's always after 7pm somewhere in the world.
  • Candi_land
    Candi_land Posts: 1,311 Member
    Options
    I have a pretty busy schedule and most of the time I don't eat dinner till after 10pm during the week, and it hasn't hindered my progress so far.
  • learnerdriver
    learnerdriver Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I don't think time makes a dinner EXCEPT if you are a mindless snacker after dinner (that's me!) + go continuously over.
  • AsianSuperfly
    AsianSuperfly Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    People are not Gremlins.
  • sarahmichel101
    sarahmichel101 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    People are not Gremlins.

****MOST people
    Im convinced it has to happen, don't crush my girlhood dreams.
  • Frank_Just_Frank
    Frank_Just_Frank Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    People are not Gremlins.

You haven't met my kids ;)
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    So I am asking a legit question, I'm not debating or anything.
    I've heard from so many people that eating after 7 pm (or is it 8 pm?) is bad, and for whatever reason, I can't really remember.

In which time zone?

Lulz.

It's just brosci.
  • Luckee_me
    Luckee_me Posts: 1,426 Member
    Options
    I'm a late night snacker, I haven't noticed it causing me a problem unless I don't leave myself calories to snack on.
    Good luck to you.
  • Luckee_me
    Luckee_me Posts: 1,426 Member
    Options
    People are not Gremlins.

You haven't met my kids ;)

This totally.