Eating on the cheap; Canned veggies

PatrickXFCE
PatrickXFCE Posts: 52 Member
Hi All

This evening, we had some lemon pepper chicken drumsticks, that were cooked in a crock pot, some biscuits, and some canned mixed veggies. I am usually not a big fan of the canned mixed veggies as they seem a bit bland unless they are with something.

So to make things more interesting, I decided to cut the meat off of the bone itself(I do that for my son anyway), then place the meat in the bowl with a serving of the veggies, then sprinkle some Montreal seasoning on top.

I tried it, and I thought it was delicious.

So, with that said, has anyone else done anything else interesting with canned mixed veggies?

Replies

• MercyOxendine
    MercyOxendine Posts: 105 Member
    Hi Patrick, I like mixing black beans, diced tomato, corn, and early (sweet) peas and letting it simmer together.
  • dklibert
    dklibert Posts: 1,196 Member
    Growing up Mom served a lot of can veggies.

Green beans simmered with a little sliced onion.
    Green peas simmered with a small can of sliced mushrooms
    Can beets served cold as a salad with a little sliced onion and oil and vinegar
    Can corn heated and served with a little butter and parsley

Here are some recipes

3 or 4 BEAN SALAD
    (OR AS MANY DARN BEANS AS YOU LIKE!!)

3 15 ounce cans GREEN GIANT THREE BEAN SALAD drained
    1 15 ounce can garbanzo beans (aka chickpeas), drained and rinsed
    1 cup apple cider or red wine vinegar
    ½ red onion, chopped (or more, depends on size of onion)(you can also use a plain yellow onion if you don't have red)
    ¾ cup Splenda
    ½ cup canola oil or vegetable oil
    2 garlic gloves minced, or squeezed in press
    1/2 teaspoon salt plus more to taste
    ½ tsp. Cajun seasoning salt
    Freshly ground black pepper
    2 Tbs. or up to ¼ cup minced flat-leaf parsley (fresh)

In a large bowl, combine the beans and the onion. In a small saucepan, stir the Splenda, vinegar, oil, garlic and salt together and then bring to a simmer. Pour the hot liquid over the beans. Season with salt, pepper and parsley. Marinate the beans at room temperature for 1 hour, tossing several times. Refrigerate. Serve cold or at room temp. This lasts a long time in refrigerator.

It makes about 12-14 1/2 cup servings

5 Can Zero Point Soup
    Servings | 8

Ingredients

1 can Fat Free chicken broth
    1 can delmonte sliced carrots
    1 can delmonte italian beans drained
    1 can delmonte zuchini with tomatoes
    1 can delmonte diced tomatoes with basil and oregeno

Instructions

Make sure you drain the beans and dump all of it into a pot and let it simmer till hot.

Goulash
    Source: Soup Spice Everything Nice
    Serves 4 to 6

Ingredients

1-1/2 lbs beef stew meat
    1 medium-large onion, diced
    1 small-medium bell pepper, diced
    3 rib of celery, sliced
    15 oz. can whole tomatoes, undrained
    4 carrots, peeled and cut into 1 inch pieces
    15 oz. can whole potatoes, drained
    8 oz. can green peas (no salt added), undrained
    8 oz. can corn (no salt added), undrained
    8 oz. can green beans (no salt added), undrained
    Handful of parsley, chopped
    Kosher salt, black pepper, red pepper flakes and Cajun seasoning to taste

Directions

Season beef with kosher salt, black pepper, red pepper flakes and Cajun seasoning. Heat a Dutch oven on medium-high heat. Drizzle in a little olive oil and brown beef stew meat. Brown in batches if necessary, do not over crowd the pot. The beef should brown not steam. When brown add onions, bell pepper and celery. Cook until onion begins to soften, then add tomatoes. Cook at a simmer, covered for 20 minutes. Add carrots, potatoes, green peas, corn and green beans. Bring back to a simmer, add parsley and cook on low 1 hour or until beef and carrots are tender. Serve with toasted French bread.

Italian Artichoke Casserole
    Source: Soup Spice Everything Nice

1 pinch of cayenne and black pepper
    1/2 cup olive oil
    Several cloves of garlic, chopped (2 tsp)
    1 medium chopped onion
    1 cup snipped parsley
    3 cans green beans, drained and chopped
    3 cans artichoke hearts, drained and chopped
    1 cup seasoned bread crumbs
    1 cup grated Parmesan cheese

Saute onion, garlic and parsley in olive oil. Add green beans; cook 5 minutes. Add artichoke hearts and mix. Add bread crumbs and cheese; mix well. Spoon in slightly greased 2 quart casserole. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.

8 Servings

Nutrition Facts per Serving: Calories 273.7; Total Fat 18.6 g; Saturated Fat 4.6 g; Polyunsaturated Fat 2.4 g; Monounsaturated Fat 11.3 g; Cholesterol 10.0 mg; Sodium 992.8 mg; Potassium 93.1 mg; Total Carbohydrate 18.8 g; Dietary Fiber 2.6 g; Sugars 4.4 g; Protein 9.1 g.
  • MysteriousMerlin
    MysteriousMerlin Posts: 2,270 Member
    Not a fan of canned vegs. Too soft, too much sodium. I keep bags of frozen steam-able vegs in the freezer. I can get a bag of store-brand frozen vegs (no sauce) for about the same price as no-sodium added or low sodium canned vegs. The only exception for me are green beans. I've even found frozen beans, great for adding to a taco meat mixture.
  • sillyvalentine
    sillyvalentine Posts: 460 Member
    For eating on the cheap, I find fresh veggies much cheaper then canned... Maybe its just where I live?
  • tracydr
    tracydr Posts: 528 Member
    I don't really like canned veggies but my mother makes a pea salad that I love. Canned peas, green onions, sliced American cheese and mayonnaise. You can use fat free mayonnaise and low fat cheese. I think this would also be really good with blue cheese crumbles.
    I also find fresh veggies cheaper,especially if I go to our local natural foods grocery or the local produce market. They can be kind of high from the big chain groceries.
    Also save tons of money by buying bone-in chickens and using your own seasonings. For lemon pepper, just sprinkle with lemon pepper, let sit awhile and then bake. I find chicken quarters for sixty cents a pound that I feed to my dogs and cats. ( my animals eat meat, not processed food). I raise our own chickens so we have plenty of whole, free-range chickens in the freezer for human use but I can't keep up with what the animals eat with our small yard.