What's the big deal with Protein Powder?

Options
2»

Replies

• QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    It is a delicious way to get more protein. 1g/lb of lean body mass is a lot of protein (for me) to fit in with boring things like meat. LOL
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    For those taking it or just in the know-- how do you know how much protein your body needs?

A standard rule of thumb is 1g/lb of lean body mass. However, the newest research shows that a person who is dieting, and already pretty lean, benefits more from something more like 1.1-1.5g/lb lbm.

Thank you for reminding me I need to up it. :happy:
  • ils_1231
    ils_1231 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    For those taking it or just in the know-- how do you know how much protein your body needs?

A standard rule of thumb is 1g/lb of lean body mass. However, the newest research shows that a person who is dieting, and already pretty lean, benefits more from something more like 1.1-1.5g/lb lbm.

thank you!
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    Oh and with Casein protein you make some really tasty and filling low calorie deserts.
    Just unfortunate I'm intolerant to Casein :(.
  • ThriceBlessed
    ThriceBlessed Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    I use it to boost my protein intake on days when its coming in a little low.

Protein keeps you full longer and helps to preserve muscle while you lose weight. It also can help regulate blood sugar and reduce cravings.

I try to get a minimum of 100 grams of protein a day, though I really prefer to get around 140. The body absorbs protein best if it gets it around 30 grams at a time with an hour or so before the next "dose", because of that I try to get 20-30 grams at each meal or snack. So, if I for instance feel like having a more carb based breakfast (like cereal), I might also have some protein powder or other protein supplement.

I typically use two powders:
    1. Shakeology.
    2. EAS Lean Protein.

If I am trying to boost my protein but I know my calories are getting a little high for the day, I'll use a liquid protein supplement called Proteinex, because it adds no extra calories beyond what the protein itself has (a gram of protein has 4 calories per gram, and Proteinex has exactly 4 calories for each gram of protein it provides, so I'm getting the protein with the lowest possible amount of calories.)
  • GradatimFerociter
    GradatimFerociter Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Jus' protein. Nothing magical.

I currently use Myprotein (UK).
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    It's just protein. NBD. :huh: :huh: :noway:
  • sfdf40
    sfdf40 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Please share the recipe for homemade quest bars!
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    Just to be different, I eat 150g-160g protein a day through my normal food. I did have Maximilk some time last year for a few days because I managed to get something like 8 bottles for £2. But I'd rather get protein through eating my victims.

I get adequate protein from woolly mammoth and woolly rhino. There was no protein powder in the middle palaoelithic era, in spite of people trying to sell palaoelithic protein powder: http://cavepeopleandstuff.wordpress.com/2013/08/31/palaeolithic-protein-powder/

And you get free wool!
  • martyqueen52
    martyqueen52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    read the title in your Jerry Seinfeld voice....

Seriously though, what are you guys and gals using it for ? Does it aid in just muscle building, weight loss, and is it an energy booster too ?
    What brand or type do you use and what's your experience so far ?

I use it to meet my daily protein intake, I usually have two servings a day. It helps with satiety (for me at least) also.

You don't HAVE to have it, you can eat tuna, chicken, eggs instead.... but... this is light on my stomach and I can't stand eating chicken all day long.

I have used Cellucor (GREAT tasting), Optimum Nutrition (favors are bland and watery), and now I'm currently using Myofusion Elite (great tasting, actually blends up like a shake... so many flavors too. Peanut butter cookie dough is out of this world good).

It's not a magical powder, pill, etc. to lose weight. It just aids with protein intake, which in turn helps with muscle building and repairing muscles after workouts.
  • justcallmejai
    Options
    Thanks Yall !
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    I only have it every now and then. Lately I've just been using it on my workout days when I'm not getting quite enough protein..
  • ibleedunionblue
    ibleedunionblue Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    I continue to lose weight. My doctor advised not going under 140, but I keep dropping as low as 136. (Long distance runner averaging 10 miles a day) So I add protein to recipes such as oatmeal to add some healthy calories.