Help needed... healthy special dinner

Its hubbys birthday, and normally we would go out for dinner, but this year as we are both slimming down, I thought it would be nice if I cooked him something special, at home, that doesn't blow out the kJ count big time... any input greatly appreciated. I am an accomplished cook, but don't wont something that will take hours of prep or too fiddly, as I want to spend time with him and the kids, second point is it must be kid friendly.

I should also add we are in Australia, so it is stinking hot, so was thinking something salady, with nice meat.

Thanks

Replies

• JdoubleJ
    JdoubleJ Posts: 37 Member
    There's a recipe on here for guacamole stuffed chicken that was delicious. I am doing chicken stuffed with low fat cheese and wrapped in parma ham for a family birthday meal this week.
  • Sounds good... but where do I find the recipes on here
  • alfiedn
    alfiedn Posts: 425 Member
    What about a tomato and cucumber salad with basil?

Fresh tomatoes diced
    Fresh cucumbers diced
    Fresh basil shredded
    1 tablespoon (or however much you need, may be less) olive oil
    1 tablespoon or so of balsamic vinegar

Mix and enjoy!

Then you can eat shrimp Caesar salad for the adults and a shrimp cocktail or pasta for the kids.

Banana "ice cream" for dessert! (Freeze bananas in chunks and blend in a food processor or blender until they have the texture of soft serve). I like to add cocoa powder to mine and it's delicious! No sweetener necessary as bananas are already so sweet!
  • acogg
    acogg Posts: 1,870 Member
    I know the feeling! How about a white fish, some white rice with a lettuce salad? I can't wait until your summer returns here!
  • PatheticNoetic
    PatheticNoetic Posts: 905 Member
    One of the best meals we've had (and we're in Aus)

Kangaroo steaks with a pumpkin feta salad.

Cut up carrots and pumpkin into small pieces and roast in the oven at 200C for about 30-40 minutes
    then when that's done as they're cooling - baby spinach leaves, low fat feta, almond slivers and add the pumpkin and carrot and then put in a little bit of balsamic dressing and voila- yummo.

With garlic turkish bread and a glass of moscato the whole dinner was under 500 calories per person.
  • dklibert
    dklibert Posts: 1,196 Member
    I made this salad with Pineapple Teriyaki Salmon. My Dad kept putting little spoons of seconds and thirds on his plate. It would be great with any Asian style marinated protein, chicken or pork even. I made steamed pork and shrimp dumplings for appetizers. You maybe able to buy those. We have them in the frozen foods here. I hope you and your family enjoy your celebration.

Oriental Ramen Noodle Salad
    http://soupspiceeverythingnice.blogspot.com/2013/05/oriental-ramen-noodle-salad.html
    Serves 6 to 8

Ingredients

1 pkg oriental or chicken flavored Ramen noodles
    1 large package Coleslaw mix
    1/4 cup sunflower seeds
    1 bunch green onions, sliced
    1/4 cup sliced almonds

Dressing:
    2 Tablespoons canola oil
    1/2 cup water
    1 flavor packet from Ramen noodles
    1 Tablespoon apple cider vinegar
    1/4 cup sugar

Directions

Break noodles into pieces and mix with coleslaw mix, sunflower seeds, onions, and almonds in a large bowl. Combine ingredients for the dressing in a jar and shake vigorously. Pour over salad, toss and chill for several hours. When ready to eat, toss again to coat.

Pineapple Teriyaki Salmon
    Adapted from: Cooking Light MAY 2006
    Serves 6

Ingredients

2 Tbsp brown sugar
    2 Tbsp low-sodium soy sauce
    1 tsp finely grated orange zest
    1 (6 oz) can pineapple juice
    1/2 tsp salt, divided
    2 tsp canola oil
    1 whole side of salmon
    1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
    1/8 tsp red pepper flakes
    Grated orange rind (optional)

Directions

Combine first 4 ingredients and 1/4 teaspoon salt in a small saucepan over high heat, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer until reduced to 1/4 cup (about 15 minutes). Set aside.

Preheat oven to 475°.

Sprinkle flesh side of salmon with remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt, black pepper and red pepper flakes. Rub salmon with canola oil. Add fish skin side down to a baking sheet lined with foil. Bake at 475° for 8 to 10 minutes. Remove from oven; brush sauce over salmon. Return to oven, and cook 2 minutes or until fish flakes easily when tested with a fork or until desired degree of doneness. Sprinkle with orange rind, if desired.
  • dklibert
    This would be great with Greek marinated beef or lamb.

Shepherd's Salad
    http://soupspiceeverythingnice.blogspot.com/2013/03/shepherds-salad.html
    Serves 4 to 6

Ingredients

1 pint grape tomatoes, quartered
    1 english cucumber, diced
    1 green bell pepper, diced
    1/2 small red onion, diced
    1/2 cup mix of fresh parsley, mint, and oregano, minced
    1 Tbsp olive oil
    1 Tbsp red wine vinegar
    salt and pepper to taste
    4 oz. feta, crumbled

Directions

Combine everything but feta in a bowl; toss to combine well. Add feta and toss again.
  • dklibert
    This one is more Mexican fare. A little spicy, so cut back on the peppers for the kiddos sake.

Farmer's Salad (Ensalada Grangero)
    Source: Better Homes and Gardens
    Makes: 10 to 12 servings

Ingredients

3 ears fresh sweet corn, husks and silks removed
    1 1/2 pounds fresh green beans, trimmed
    3 cups grape tomatoes
    1/2 small red onion, thinly sliced
    1 cup snipped fresh cilantro
    1/2 cup olive oil
    3 jalapenos, seeded and chopped
    2 shallots, chopped
    3 tablespoons cider vinegar
    1 1/2 teaspoons bottled minced roasted garlic
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1/2 cup crumbled Cotija cheese (2 oz)

Directions

In a Dutch oven cook corn in a large amount of boiling salted water for 5 to 7 minutes or until tender. Remove corn from Dutch oven; set aside to cool. Add beans to the boiling water in Dutch oven; cook for 3 to 4 minutes or just until crisp-tender. Drain beans in a colander; rinse with cold water and drain well. Cut kernels from corn cobs.

In a large bowl combine corn kernels, beans, grape tomatoes, and red onion. Toss gently to combine.

For dressing, in a food processor or blender combine cilantro, oil, chile peppers, shallots, vinegar, garlic, and salt. Cover and process or blend until nearly smooth. Drizzle dressing over vegetables; toss well to coat. Sprinkle with cheese. Serve immediately.