I am crying.

I am having a terrible time with binge eating. No matter what I do, I never win.
I try to think and solve what makes it happen, it doesn't work. This all started when I had a fairly healthy diet and was losing weight even though that I was in the healthy range and my family tried to make me eat and gain weight. They don't anymore.This morning I stepped on the scale and I was 8 pounds heavier than my original weight.i am not even in the "slim" category anymore.

I hate this, and hate myself for doing this. I am so sick of it. I am not just crying because I gained weight, I am upset with myself because I am not able to do what I want. I'm dissapointed with myself.

I know this is not a question or an argument but I just wanted to let it out.

Replies

• tiggsnanny
    tiggsnanny Posts: 366 Member
    :( i'm trying so desperately not to binge on choccie and peanuts, you have to be strong, pick yourself up and carry on, you can do it :smile:
  • kennie2
    kennie2 Posts: 1,170 Member
    Do you keep drastically under eating and then binging?
    Cos thats what it sounds like to me
  • Csmcnevin
    Csmcnevin Posts: 29 Member
    I struggled with this too. I just posted on the benefit of tracking no matter what. Binge or no binge, write it all down. Then at least you are taking control of an aspect of your binging. The positive action of tracking takes the shame out of binging and it becomes matter of fact - 'ok that just happened. I'm gonna track and move on.' Dont beat yourself up. You are doing your best, be kind to yourself. Take a deep breathe, and carry on.
    Best of luck!
  • You are so young, you have your whole life ahead of you. It is up to you to make it the best ever. Surround yourself with positve books, movies, all that is good. Refuse to be sucked into anything negative. Start reading about clean eating and I think you will be amazed at how much it will change your way of thinking. George furman has agreat book that truly changed the way I look at food. Remember you are in the drivers seat. Best wishes, you got this:smile:
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member

^^^ this, because undereating is one of the main causes of binge eating
  • mlogantra76
    mlogantra76 Posts: 334 Member

This! In my younger years in my unsuccessful years of trying to lose weight, I would under eat and then binge. If you eat enough so your body isn't physically needing food, its easier to avoid a binge. Of course, there are other reasons to binge...
  • be_patient
    be_patient Posts: 186 Member
    Sounds exactly like me. I know you're not looking for answers but can someone explain how to stop this? FYI I think I do do the undereat-binge thing but I feel like I can only do one or the other, not a perfect 1200 calories.
  • cmeiron
    cmeiron Posts: 1,599 Member
    Sounds exactly like me. I know you're not looking for answers but can someone explain how to stop this? FYI I think I do do the undereat-binge thing but I feel like I can only do one or the other, not a perfect 1200 calories.

Many people would argue that 1200 calories IS undereating. Most people can lose weight quite effectively (and at a reasonable - not crash diet - pace) on much much more than 1200/day.
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    >>>>>IMPORTANT!!! To get your numbers right please visit---> http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/974889-in-place-of-a-road-map-short-n-sweet<---read the instructions. I lay everything out to help you have a true fat burning diet.<<<<<<<
  • DamianaKitten
    DamianaKitten Posts: 479 Member
    The act of weighing and measuring my food helps me quite a bit with binge eating, since I'm more aware of what's going in. Since I track it on MFP, I can see just what kind of impact my servings are having on me. Like, I can measure a cup of ice cream, and be satisfied. However, last night I had a really really bad night and just started eating through the container. Half a container later, I realized what I'd done. <_< I don't even know how much it came to in total, so I don't even know how to track it. **** happens, but I've got goals and I won't let it stop me from continuing on my journey. This has been a hard adjustment for me, since I went straight to a 1k deficit without any transition period, so I'm constantly hungry. I've found that drinking water (or juice/tea) when I'm hungry, especially before and after I eat, helps me feel full for longer, and helps prevent me from overeating.
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    I am having a terrible time with binge eating. No matter what I do, I never win.
    I try to think and solve what makes it happen, it doesn't work. This all started when I had a fairly healthy diet and was losing weight even though that I was in the healthy range and my family tried to make me eat and gain weight. They don't anymore.This morning I stepped on the scale and I was 8 pounds heavier than my original weight.i am not even in the "slim" category anymore.

I hate this, and hate myself for doing this. I am so sick of it. I am not just crying because I gained weight, I am upset with myself because I am not able to do what I want. I'm dissapointed with myself.

your mindset is wrong. you believe things to be true that are not, and it's causing you to stress and feel horrible. change your mindset and these feelings will go away.

1) binge eating is caused by deprivation diets. if you are eating too little food and avoiding the foods you love, eventually you will succumb to binging on those very foods. you DO NOT have to exclude the foods you love from your diet while losing weight.

2) there is no such thing as a "healthy" diet. food is nothing but fuel for your body. there is no moral superiority for some foods over other foods. focus on your calorie goal, your macronutrients, and your micronutrients and then choose whatever foods you want to eat that help you meet those goals. the sooner you learn this lesson, the sooner you'll be on a path to enjoying your life.

3) the feelings you're having about food and your body will lead you down a dangerous path. lots of young women your age allow the feelings you've expressed to cause them to undereat habitually and/or purge after eating. DO NOT DO THIS. if you ever have thoughts like that, talk to somebody. not only is it a dead end emotionally, but it can also put your life in danger. never feel shame or guilt or hatred toward yourself over what you ate or how much you weigh. that's an important life lesson to be learned as early as you can learn it.

4) the weight you see on the scale is more than just your muscle, fat, bones, etc... it is also water in your body and undigested food in your intestines. your body is constantly retaining and shedding water for all sorts of biological reasons. that's why your weight will vary from day to day, and even during the course of a day. i've seen my weight drop 7lbs in 24 hours due to water being shed. it's not a big deal. think of the scale not as a day to day measuring tool, but as a long term trend tool that shows you from month to month if your weight is going up or down.

5) the key to success with any diet is to not set unrealistic expectations on yourself. nobody is perfect. nobody's diet is perfect. it's ok to not be perfect. try not to set goals that are difficult to achieve by a given deadline. that's another mistake many people make. the human body is a remarkable machine and is very efficient... losing weight takes time because the human body is designed to perform its daily functions as efficiently as possible (i.e. burning only as many calories as necessary). you have to be patient.
  • I can really relate, I'm a yoyo dieter and a binge eater - there's nothing worse than that all consuming need to eat. I've also done 1200 calories for years on and off in the past and have come to realise this is too little for me and leads to binges. Chin up, you can do this! We all have wobbles - don't crucify yourself for it, just pick yourself up and carry on.

Now I justnrrd to take some of my own advice lol xx
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member

your mindset is wrong. you believe things to be true that are not, and it's causing you to stress and feel horrible. change your mindset and these feelings will go away.

1) binge eating is caused by deprivation diets. if you are eating too little food and avoiding the foods you love, eventually you will succumb to binging on those very foods. you DO NOT have to exclude the foods you love from your diet while losing weight.

2) there is no such thing as a "healthy" diet. food is nothing but fuel for your body. there is no moral superiority for some foods over other foods. focus on your calorie goal, your macronutrients, and your micronutrients and then choose whatever foods you want to eat that help you meet those goals. the sooner you learn this lesson, the sooner you'll be on a path to enjoying your life.

3) the feelings you're having about food and your body will lead you down a dangerous path. lots of young women your age allow the feelings you've expressed to cause them to undereat habitually and/or purge after eating. DO NOT DO THIS. if you ever have thoughts like that, talk to somebody. not only is it a dead end emotionally, but it can also put your life in danger. never feel shame or guilt or hatred toward yourself over what you ate or how much you weigh. that's an important life lesson to be learned as early as you can learn it.

4) the weight you see on the scale is more than just your muscle, fat, bones, etc... it is also water in your body and undigested food in your intestines. your body is constantly retaining and shedding water for all sorts of biological reasons. that's why your weight will vary from day to day, and even during the course of a day. i've seen my weight drop 7lbs in 24 hours due to water being shed. it's not a big deal. think of the scale not as a day to day measuring tool, but as a long term trend tool that shows you from month to month if your weight is going up or down.

5) the key to success with any diet is to not set unrealistic expectations on yourself. nobody is perfect. nobody's diet is perfect. it's ok to not be perfect. try not to set goals that are difficult to achieve by a given deadline. that's another mistake many people make. the human body is a remarkable machine and is very efficient... losing weight takes time because the human body is designed to perform its daily functions as efficiently as possible (i.e. burning only as many calories as necessary). you have to be patient.

the-rock-clapping.gif

OP: please listen to the above advice!!!
  • beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member

I don't think that you're going to find the answer here. Why was your family encouraging you to GAIN weight? From your ticker, it's hard to see if you even need to lose weight. You're 19 years old. Go talk to a doctor or counselor and let them use their professional experience to help you deal with your feelings about food and your body. Best of luck.
  • I am having a terrible time with binge eating. No matter what I do, I never win.

I don't think that you're going to find the answer here. Why was your family encouraging you to GAIN weight? From your ticker, it's hard to see if you even need to lose weight. You're 19 years old. Go talk to a doctor or counselor and let them use their professional experience to help you deal with your feelings about food and your body. Best of luck.
    I am not trying lose, at least wasn't. My calorie goal is 2000 a day.But I AM going to try to get rid of the extra pounds I gained.
  • I am having a terrible time with binge eating. No matter what I do, I never win.

Thank you for the info and advice.
  • delicious_cocktail
    delicious_cocktail Posts: 5,797 Member
    Wonderful piece of writing, BrainyBurro.
  • evileen99
    evileen99 Posts: 1,564 Member

Yeah, I normally eat 1200 calories by noon. If that's all I ate for an entire day, I'd binge, too.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member

the-rock-clapping.gif

OP: please listen to the above advice!!!

Yes this!!
  • chelso0o
    chelso0o Posts: 366 Member
    You might not like what I am about to reply.

It took me awhile to admit to myself that I could not do it without help.

Therapy has really helped change my relationship with my body and food, and it could potentially benefit you. It really has helped with my self confidence, and I am a huge fan.

Therapy doesnt mean you are broken, or that there is something wrong with you. Nobody even has to know about it. However, I do not think I would have stopped having these binge episodes if it weren't for my therapist. She has really truly helped.