Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Noob - afraid of getting too big

2»

Replies

• usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,219 Member
    By the way, this image that you want to look like is Kristina Krstic. It's a relaxed picture of her.
    0160db7d8ff965ff08968169d0b46952.jpg
    Here are other pictures of her flexing:
    Hcu26rqCk_E.jpg
    597821024.jpg
    YnD5zPt-w3Y.jpg

This is Eileen Marcinkewicz and an example of her flexing that you don't want to look like:
    4d7ac88f51ba2.jpg
    Here is her in regular clothing or not flexing:
    4f4e521717d21.jpg
    4e89b397f2643.jpg
    IMG_0764tagged.jpg
  • MissB46
    MissB46 Posts: 143 Member

Sorry not with you on that at all - none of them are masculine.....all very beautiful women and I bet they are working very, very hard for how they look
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    With a decade of hard work, you will not look like any of those pictures so I wouldn't sweat it too hard.
  • Annadriel
    Annadriel Posts: 27 Member
    Thank you all :) it was helpful.
    I know these things doesn't happen over night ;), I am aware if it and I promise I have and use a mirror too :p. I just wanted to get some proof that I won't become too big. Mostly because I started to train a month ago (cardio) and just a week ago (gym weight lifting which I never did before). I work out around 1h per day quite intense. Every second day cardio. And 7th day I am on pausa.
    I am a bit more relaxed now. Thank you again.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,219 Member
    Initially you will feel and maybe see your muscles get firmer. This is because you will be burning the intramuscular fat. Think about how tender a nicely marbled steak is. Once that fat is gone the muscles will feel firmer and people with low body fat will see them better. Some women will feel "bulkier" at first, but it is often just that the firm muscle under the skin makes them feel like they are bigger. In reality measurements should stay the same and as fat is burned the measurements will go down.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    By the way, this image that you want to look like is Kristina Krstic. It's a relaxed picture of her.
    0160db7d8ff965ff08968169d0b46952.jpg
    Here are other pictures of her flexing:
    Hcu26rqCk_E.jpg
    597821024.jpg
    YnD5zPt-w3Y.jpg

This is Eileen Marcinkewicz and an example of her flexing that you don't want to look like:
    4d7ac88f51ba2.jpg
    Here is her in regular clothing or not flexing:
    4f4e521717d21.jpg
    4e89b397f2643.jpg
    IMG_0764tagged.jpg

<3

nailed it.

also this
    That's like saying "I'm going to school for nursing...I only want to be a nurse though not a doctor. How do I make sure I won't accidentally become a brain surgeon."

You have nothing to worry about.

this. very much this.

I really wan to to go to the magical gym where women get bulky over night lifting 10 lbs weights. This would make me happy.
  • berlinberlinveg
    berlinberlinveg Posts: 7 Member
    That's like saying "I'm going to school for nursing...I only want to be a nurse though not a doctor. How do I make sure I won't accidentally become a brain surgeon."

You have nothing to worry about.

I love this! They should hang it on the wall in gyms...

I had a 2-week trial at a gym, they had these weird "weight lifting" (ahem...) machines that you had to put at almost no resistance and "push FAST!...no faster, yep like that! so that you don't get big muscles but only toned muscles!!". As I was guided through them all during my intro. Absolutely no soreness the next days, total waste of time. Half the room was cardio machines, then these, and only a few weight lifting ones.
    It was a womans gym.... do I need to mention that I chose another gym? ;)
    I hate it when places that are supposed to help and educate people on their bodies and health spread these myths...

If it was so easy to build muscle we would all look like the models in sports magazines.
  • FrnkLft
    FrnkLft Posts: 1,821 Member
    Not going to happen. All of this works exactly the same for men as for women. There is no such thing as a man workout or a woman workout, that's bull**** marketing.

Diet = Lose/Maintain/Gain Weight (be it Fat or Muscle)
    Cardio = Most time efficient way to burn calories, Great for cardiovascular health and conditiong, Not *required* to burn fat
    Heavy Lifting = Burns lots of calories, Builds strength, Builds or Maintains Muscle

Recipe for Toned Look = Lower Bodyfat %, Increase Muscle Mass, Mix to taste

Recipe for Ripped Look = Even Lower Bodyfat %, Increase Muscle Mass, Mix to taste

You can't spot reduce fat with exercise or diet, so where/when/how the fat comes off depends on your genetics. Usually first on means last off... is what it is. Keep lowering BF% until you're happy. You do this by eating a deficit of calories. If you screw up a day or a week or whatever, don't worry, just get back on it. No shame. You'll start looking better and getting compliments well short of reaching your actual goals anyway. Big plus. How noticable it is though depends on how much you have to loose.

Your body's natural shape is also determined by genetics, and unless it's fat that's giving you size, you're going to have trouble getting rid of it. Also, you cannot influence the shape of muscle, only size.

You have to eat a surplus of calories to put on any appreciable muscle, and some of the weight gain will be fat as well. And the whole process is slow.

So... don't worry about getting bulky, whether you're a man or a woman. Getting bulky is slow for men and even more difficult for women, so you'll know well in advance when you're approaching whatever aesthetic goal you're aiming for.

My book recommendation, and *I swear on my life* it will help you and is worth your time to read, is "New Rules of Lifting" (they have one geared a bit more towards women as well, although there's 0% difference in the way this works for either sex). The program at the very end of the book is kinda "fluffy" lol, but it's perfectly fine to use if you like it. If not...

An excellent starting program is Stronglifts 5x5, doesn't matter if you're a man or a woman. Uses the five main, fundamental compound movements to build strength, and it's a simple workout that hits nearly every muscle in your body. Do that for a while to start, and then use "ICF 5x5" to up the volume a bit and keep the "5x5" compound lifts for strength (just review the programs and you'll see what I mean).

You're going to freaking love this.
  • redheaddee
    redheaddee Posts: 2,005 Member
    Here's thing: WOMEN DON'T GET BULKY. This is a misconception. We don't have enough of this thing called TESTOSTERONE for that to happen. Women who look "bulky" truly have a low body fat percentage, which accentuates the muscles they have.

And god forbid a woman looks STRONG.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/977538-halp-heavy-lifting-made-me-supah-bulky