binge eating when I get home from work :(

Options
So for some reason as soon as I get home from work I get insanely hungry and just eat a little of this and a little of that until all of a sudden I've ate A LOT. Sense being on here I've worked hard to not devour everything in sight when I get home. I work 3 different jobs, so I get home at all different times during the day and night. I make sure to watch my calories and match my food to the energy requirements through out the day. Is this stress eating?????? :ohwell: Like everyone else I have stressful days at work, but I didn't think I was that stressed. My home life is wonderful, so I'm not stressed out there.

Replies

• nofearbebravelive
    Options
    It's probably just the habit you created for yourself. It takes a lot of self awareness to break that kind of habit. What I had to do on those days is go directly to the gym from work and then I don't want to eat so much because I just busted my butt. Also, before you leave the house, pack in a lunch bag what you will eat when you get home. That way it's already portioned and waiting for you when you walk in the door, when the bag is empty, eating is over. Changing behavior is very difficult, it takes time, and it's not like one day your binging and the next day you're not. Practice, practice, practice, you will get there.
  • JaniePapageorgio
    JaniePapageorgio Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Nooo! I totally know that feeling. Maybe you cold make like a big pot of soup or casserole, or whatever your particular liking is, so that you have something you can immediately devour that doesn't leave you going "ok... how do I log 3 peanuts and 1/16 of a kielbasa (or whatever)?" Maybe knowing you have something tasty and satisfying will prepare you to face the millions of distractions?
  • JaniePapageorgio
    JaniePapageorgio Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Also, before you leave the house, pack in a lunch bag what you will eat when you get home. That way it's already portioned and waiting for you when you walk in the door, when the bag is empty, eating is over.

That's brilliant.
  • Bekkah1552
    Options
    I have that problem too... I started eating greek yogurt and an orange just prior to going home from work, and that seems to help curb my appetite until dinner. :smile:
  • TEZofAllTrades
    TEZofAllTrades Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I did the same until recently. Stopping cold turkey won't work, so here are 3 tips that helped get me off my cycle of stress binging:

1. Eat breakfast! Make it a filling one too. I have cereal with banana and it gives me energy for the day. Have a filling lunch too.

2. If you're still hungry or craving when you get home, have your dinner first, Don't have snacks first! Planning/making your dinner ahead of time will make it seem like less of a chore to prepare so you won't go straight for the snacks.

3. If you still need a snack afterwards then make sure you're prepared. Swap your usual snacks for healthier versions e.g. crisps --> popcorn, chocolate --> cereal bars etc... Keep that up until you don't crave snacks anymore, just be sure not to buy the junk anymore, buy the healthier options for those craving emergencies!
  • craigheon
    craigheon Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I go to the gym right after work to avoid this feeling too. My hard time is the weekends, because those are my rest days. I have done well though so far. It is weird though how a lot of us resort to eating if we are bored.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Just make yourself a big filling dinner when you get home?
  • manda79rn
    manda79rn Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I have issues with eating at night... it's like my head is hungry more then my stomach.. I think because my hectic day has winded down and what sounds better then grabbing some munchies, sitting on the couch for 30 minutes and watching TV.. well.. it usually turns into it LOT more than a couple 100 calories.. so I've just owned it, addressed it and my solution has been not to eat period after 7pm, now that's not something I do 100%, I slip or we have a night out but about 95% of the time I'm done eating by 7pm and that rule has helped me. I hope you find what works for you.
  • wannastayfit
    wannastayfit Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I've learned that if I get too hungry, then I eat too much - call it what you want. So to combat this, I've been eating filling snacks spread out - even when I'm not hungry. For instance, I have lunch at 1:00 and always at 4:00 I have 1/4 cup cream of wheat with peanut butter - so that when I have dinner around 6:00 I'm not starving and I have a very reasonable dinner.

What I would recommend for you is that you keep a tupperware container in your car maybe with cold al dente pasta in it. Before you get home, have a cup of this with lots of water and I'll bet by the time you get home, you won't be starving. Then you can have a reasonable dinner.

You are a VERY busy person and need to fuel all of those hours working.

All I can say is that this has totally worked for me. I'm never hungry and so I'm not pigging out. Best of luck to you!
  • annastasia_82
    annastasia_82 Posts: 940 Member
    Options
    So glad I'm not alone on this one. Thank you all so much for all the wonderful suggestions. I have been taking the dogs for a walk when I get these urges but that's hard to do when I get home at 10pm. So on those nights I clean the bathroom or a spare bedroom just to avoid the kitchen, but then I end up wide awake which sucks when I have to be up by 4am. I definitely love the keeping something in a brown bag and munching on it while I drive home. Also keeping portioned filling healthy snacks in the fridge would be really easy to incorporate into my schedule. I already portion out my meals for the whole week on Sunday, so I could just throw this in. I've read that if you get hungry, its already to late your body's going into storage mode. I'm never hungry at work but when I get home.

My typical diet goes like this on the days I work from 5am till 10pm
    Breakfast 4:15 am : oatmeal with peanut butter
    Snack 9 am : orange or an apple
    Lunch 12-1 : something big, typically a dinner type meal ( I know I need a big boost in the middle of the day to keep going)
    Snack 3:30 pm : mixed berry smoothie or a mango and banana smoothie (I drink this on my way to the next job)
    Dinner 7 pm : Salad with lots of veggies and I always throw on some tuna fish, or chicken breast, or pork chop (whatever meat is in the fridge)
    -always keep a cereal bar or granola bar in my purse just incase
    -I try not to eat a lot of processed foods, but sometimes I they are just handy

I will have to keep some food portioned out into 100 calorie amounts around

Thank you thank you thank you :happy: :happy: :happy: :happy:
  • ARC1603
    ARC1603 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    So glad I'm not alone on this one. Thank you all so much for all the wonderful suggestions. I have been taking the dogs for a walk when I get these urges but that's hard to do when I get home at 10pm. So on those nights I clean the bathroom or a spare bedroom just to avoid the kitchen, but then I end up wide awake which sucks when I have to be up by 4am. I definitely love the keeping something in a brown bag and munching on it while I drive home. Also keeping portioned filling healthy snacks in the fridge would be really easy to incorporate into my schedule. I already portion out my meals for the whole week on Sunday, so I could just throw this in. I've read that if you get hungry, its already to late your body's going into storage mode. I'm never hungry at work but when I get home.

My typical diet goes like this on the days I work from 5am till 10pm
    Breakfast 4:15 am : oatmeal with peanut butter
    Snack 9 am : orange or an apple
    Lunch 12-1 : something big, typically a dinner type meal ( I know I need a big boost in the middle of the day to keep going)
    Snack 3:30 pm : mixed berry smoothie or a mango and banana smoothie (I drink this on my way to the next job)
    Dinner 7 pm : Salad with lots of veggies and I always throw on some tuna fish, or chicken breast, or pork chop (whatever meat is in the fridge)
    -always keep a cereal bar or granola bar in my purse just incase
    -I try not to eat a lot of processed foods, but sometimes I they are just handy

I will have to keep some food portioned out into 100 calorie amounts around

Thank you thank you thank you :happy: :happy: :happy: :happy:

How about doing something fun for yourself when you get the urges, rather than cleaning the bathroom? With three jobs, it sounds like you're super busy with no time to spend on you.

I used to binge a lot when my son was first born and it was because I was so busy and had no time to myself. I binged because food was the only 'treat' I had. Now I make more time for myself to do something rewarding for me personally, like reading, doing my hair or doing my nails.
  • knra_grl
    knra_grl Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    I can't view your diary but from your previous post I know at least one of your jobs is physically demanding - all the posted tips are great advice and maybe check that your protein levels are high enough - I find I stay full longer when I have protein.
  • SkinnyHippo48
    Options
    Hi @annastasia_82 I understand where you're coming from. I've noticed that I've been doing that to as of late. I've been trying to eat heavier/bigger lunches during the day so I won't be eating a bunch of junk at night. Also I've been working on cutting back on desserts to eating at least one sweet a day. In addition to that I've also been incorporating more organic foods into my diet along with granola bars, and protein bars. - Lauren
  • annastasia_82
    annastasia_82 Posts: 940 Member
    Options
    Everyone has an amazing idea, I'm going to have to try them all to see which works. I think on the days when I get home early enough the portioned satisfying snack that I can grab and devour will work well or maybe something really small I can eat quick while I walk the dogs. I wish I could run over to a gym but I don't really have the time. I usually just work out at home, maybe that will have to be my routine. Yoga/Pilates when I get home late and a good cardio combined with weights when I get home early. The nights I get home late, doing something for me sounds good too. Not sure what I'll do but, I do have a few books waiting to be read. Thank you all :flowerforyou: