Starting Over (Humility Included)

Options
On December 25th, 2012, I decided to start doing something about my weight. I was up to at least 270 and even at 5'8 that's a very unhealthy (and bad looking) weight. I have had trouble all my life with my weight and I have gone through a lot of guilt and shame over it. I have used binging as a way to comfort myself or feel some type of high. But for the following 4-5 months I did really great! I lost almost 40 pounds and I was eating a lot better and exercising on a regular basis. Then I got laid off....And after that I pretty much fell off the wagon and went back to my old ways of eating and (for the most part) laziness.

Now I am back to my original starting weight (possibly plus a couple) and if I don't do something NOW I will end up being at the highest weight of my life. I know this is a huge health risk as well as making me feel like crap about the way I look. I just saw myself in a video my boyfriend made yesterday and I felt like I looked like a whale. :(

I read posts before about people who lost, then gained back, and I would say "I'm never gonna go back the other way! How could I after making all this awesome progress?" Well, here I am. I am just like anyone else who struggles with this weight loss thing, my relationship with food, and having the motivation to exercise.

I am moving to Colorado Springs with my boyfriend at the end of the month, and I'm very excited for new opportunities to enjoy the outdoors and generally live a healthier, more active lifestyle. I feel like this is really a starting over point for me, but at the same time I am scared that I will fail yet again. I really need some encouragement and some supportive people to help me stay on track this time.

Please feel free to add and/or message me, especially if you live in the Colorado Springs area. I'd like to get to know some people that my boyfriend and I can go walking or hiking with when we get settled in there.

Replies

• Dnarules
    Dnarules Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    I completely understand. From mid 2012 to late 2013, I lost 53 pounds. And I did it with a reasonable calorie deficit and exercise. Then in October, I derailed. I was in maintenance, and quit logging. My weight started increasing, so I figured, what the heck, let's stop exercising as well. I have gained back 15 pounds. But I still just cannot seem to get back on track.

I wish you the best of luck! Hopefully the move to Colorado will be the push you need. But there is nothing really stopping us from getting started again right now! We know what to do. Let's do it!
  • GetHotIn2014
    GetHotIn2014 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I'm starting today. I'm not waiting till I get down there. I could have probably the first 10 pounds lost by the time I leave if I can really go all the way through the month....WHICH I CAN! lol
  • sweetychaitu
    Options
    Hi

i am also 60 lbs overweight. i also want to loose weight.
    I wish u all the best.
  • ddrhellbunny
    ddrhellbunny Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I feel you 100%, I had lost around 45-50lbs but not in the healthiest manner. (shamefully >.>) I cut out so much of my favorite foods that it just wasn't feasible to maintain. It really sucks because I was down to a weight that I liked but after I decided to quit smoking, I pretty much got massively derailed with cravings, binging, and a whole butt load of other problems that were emotionally hard to deal with. I sadly gained back half the weight I lost, but I'm still trying to get back on track.
    I'm actually exercising more now then I used to and I really do love the way it makes me feel, started lifting some weights and generally moving more if I can. It's hard to restart over because you feel like if you fail again then what's the point? But, never give up, just keep trying no matter what. I actually feel much stronger and healthier then I did the first time.
    I'm actually jealous you are moving out to Colorado, such a beautiful state. I would love to be there just for the hiking alone ( because I love hiking) I'm stuck in boring Ohio and there is only so many trails you can go on :( lol
    Don't worry about all the details, just focus on doing things you WANT to do and enjoy what you do. You've done it before and you can do it again, no questions about it :)
  • Brianna032015
    Brianna032015 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    You can do it!! We are all here for you! Every day is a new day, so don't focus on the fact that you gained the weight back or that you've "failed" before because truly you have NOT failed! Exercising and leading a healthier life is a continual, life-long journey, and you're still on that journey! Failing is giving up completely! Let's add each other and keep each other going! :flowerforyou:
  • alleya2
    Options
    You know love, the first time I lost weight was when I was 190 pounds at 18 years old and moved to Nevada for adventure and to get away from my family. I went from 190 to 153 in six months, but it was done with an extremist black and white mentality, I was trying to be extremely strict on myself, plus I didn't have a vehicle so walking was a natural part of my routine regardless. I gained all the weight back plus an extra 30 pounds. I am now living in Washington state and weigh 220 and I have finally stopped shaming myself and began love to myself. I am in my second day of committing to a healthy life. I started out slow, but myfitnesspal guided me. I'm unemployed right now and it was the perfect time to begin something like this for myself. I walk everyday for 60 to 90 minutes because it's for free, it wakes me up, gives me hope, and Seattle is hilly so it's a definite workout, but with or without hills, 15 minutes, 10 minutes, it doesn't matter, as long as you start and love yourself. I've scheduled a doctor's appointment, dentist appointment, eye appointment, and I'm also seeing about a counselor because I know now that i am responsible for my happiness and no one can take it away. I decided to love and forgive myself. There is a woman in Chicago named Ruth that went through similar struggles, she has a great YouTube channel called DivaSlimsDown. She inspired my decision. Accept yourself, forgive, and let go of everything that keeps you down and live.:drinker:
  • paigecash
    paigecash Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I'm 48 and I've gained and lost the same 30-40 pounds about 4 times. The reason I gain it back is because I lost it in an unsustainable manner in the first place. Don't go on a crazy diet or exercise plan that you don't think you can continue on for the rest of your life. Don't fad diet; eat healthy. Start out exercising slowly and find something you like that you know you will want to do. Don't try to make a lot of changes all at once because you won't be able to sustain it. Use the words "lifestyle change" and don't use the word "diet." And if you miss a workout or eat something not particularly healthy, don't beat yourself up. Just pick up again with the next opportunity to exercise or make a choice about a food. And good luck. Friend me and I'll pep talk you when you need it!
  • pholbert
    pholbert Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    You did the right thing, because this has worked for you. Just pick yourself up and get started again. No shame in it. Your determination will get you through.
  • kinkstergoth
    Options
    Hello,

I currently live in springs and depending what you are into can point you to some good places to work out and grocery stores to shop at for healthier food with out the extra cost. Let me know I would be happy to help!

Dawn
  • munggbean
    Options
    Hi!
    this is the first time I've ever posted on here but i completely understand, great job on starting over! I'm on that journey with you too. I it took me a little more than half a year to loose around 30 pounds and did it in an unhealthy way with a huge calorie deficit. my body retaliated and wakes me up in the middle of the night to eat whatever junk is there(hopefully it doesn't happen tonight). Just now I had like A LOT of cornbread biscuits with a bunch of of honey butter. I Think I've gained about 10-12 of those pounds(and an inch on my waist) back and don't want to make it 30. The day is over for me and tomorrow is going to be my fresh start and I'm going to lose the right way and start a new healthy life style. I know I kind of wrote more then necessary but it's nice to finally get this off my chest. Any good luck and know your not alone!
  • TeenageMutantNinjaMike
    Options
    Good luck. The humility drew me in.

This isn't easy and it's hard without the right support. If you need anything, just ask for it. I am sure plenty of people on here will be happy to help.
  • Jennifer10723
    Jennifer10723 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    I lost 47 pounds and gained it back along with another 40 pounds. Ouch. I lost it a "healthy" way... it didn't matter .. I still gained.

It is a constant battle. One that I will never be able to stop fighting. So .. I am trying to look at it in a different way this time. Just day by day. I have to live each day anyway .. so I will just try my hardest each day to be my best me. But .. It will never be over for me. So, it is unreasonable for me to think there will be an end. Just another day. =) It has to come from you. You can do it!