Added wrong calories for food

Options
I have just realised that I've been using the wrong calories for my Japanese sweet potato... I use 87cal per 100 instead of the correct cal which is 132cal per 100g. What should I do now?? Should I just continue using the wrong info or switch to the correct calorie info? I have been eating Japanese sweet potato almost daily... What should I do now? I am trying to find out my maintenance calorie, will this affect it? Should I go back to all my previous dairy and change the entries of my Japanese sweet potato to the correct calorie??

Replies

• Dnarules
    Dnarules Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    Well, from now on use the correct one. This is a pretty small difference overall, so it shouldn't affect you finding your maintenance calories. Just use the correct from now on and move on.

There are a lot of errors in the database, so it is always good to not always accept things at face value.
  • Wingg_
    Wingg_ Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    Well, from now on use the correct one. This is a pretty small difference overall, so it shouldn't affect you finding your maintenance calories. Just use the correct from now on and move on.

There are a lot of errors in the database, so it is always good to not always accept things at face value.

Thank you for the advice!but I am eating it like daily I'm just afraid that those differences in calories may add up to a huge difference.. From now on, I will double check the values before using them!
  • Dnarules
    Dnarules Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options

Thank you for the advice!but I am eating it like daily I'm just afraid that those differences in calories may add up to a huge difference.. From now on, I will double check the values before using them!

It is a good idea to double check values. But now you know, and can move on from there. There is nothing you can do about the past, except learn from it. How much of this do you eat daily? If you eat 100g, then there really is not much difference and there is nothing to really worry about, especially since you are going to log it correctly next time.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Even if you went back and changed your diary, it doesn't change what went in your body. So really, it would be a pointless exercise.

All the good values you record are estimates.
  • oneloopygirl
    oneloopygirl Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Correct it going forward. When you use things on here, look at whether it's been confirmed by other members and try to always double check the nutritional info. The first time I log anything I do that. Then, I can go back to the one I know is correct going forward.
  • MelissaPhippsFeagins
    MelissaPhippsFeagins Posts: 8,063 Member
    Options
    Going back and changing it won't change what your ate. Just use the right one from now on. The old was close enough. 45 cal x 7 days is 315 calories per week, less than 1/10th of a pound. Whether or not you need to use the bathroom will make more difference at weight in time. Don't make a mountain out of a mole hill, just do it right from now on.

Most Fridays, I take my family to Long John Silver's for dinner because I observe the Friday Fast and I can't cook shell fish for them because I am allergic. I eat the same baked cod meal every time I go and I have it set up to log as a meal based on the nutrition info on their website. I know I'm not getting exactly the same amount of rice or green beans every Friday and none of the fish pieces are exactly the same size either. What I got from the website is the best estimate I have. Sometimes you just have to accept close enough. It's worked while I was losing, it will keep working during maintenance.
  • Wingg_
    Options
    I something eating up to 300g of Japanese sweet potato a day that's why I'm concern that the difference may be big.I'm thinking if I change my dairy that way if I gain weight I can know how much calories I've ate to cause the weight gain so that I can find the maintenance calories. Maybe I should just restart figuring out my maintenance calories from today onwards...
  • Kymmu
    Kymmu Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    I think most things on the data base are an approximation anyway.
    Also if we aren't measuring / weighing food we are also approximating.
    Don't get too caught up in the exact numbers, I don't think they are exact!
  • Ctrum69
    Ctrum69 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    so you are off 40 cals per day?

That's well within margin of error for tracking.
  • Ctrum69
    Options
    I something eating up to 300g of Japanese sweet potato a day that's why I'm concern that the difference may be big.I'm thinking if I change my dairy that way if I gain weight I can know how much calories I've ate to cause the weight gain so that I can find the maintenance calories. Maybe I should just restart figuring out my maintenance calories from today onwards...

You are overthinking it.

Are you actually weighing out _exactly_ 300g of this a day?

Do you do _exactly_ the same amount of physical exertion per day?

Track what you eat. Use it as a rough guideline.

Try to eat less than you burn. Use calories "burned" through exercise as a rough guideline.

The oft-quote number of 3500 calories per pound (which is also a rough guideline, and off a bit), means that you'd have to screw up A LOT on your sweet potatoes, to affect weight much at all.
  • Wingg_
    Options
    So I'm all good to just move on using the new correct nutrition data of the Japanese sweet potato..
  • MelissaPhippsFeagins
    MelissaPhippsFeagins Posts: 8,063 Member
    Options

First off, that's a lot of sweet potato! Second, yes just figure your maintenance from today onwards. What is done is done; the only thing you can change is what you do in the future.
  • Ctrum69
    Options
    So I'm all good to just move on using the new correct nutrition data of the Japanese sweet potato..

perzackly.

Adjust, move forward. No use crying over spilled spuds! (yuk yuk)
  • jayjay12345654321
    jayjay12345654321 Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    Switch to the correct one seems like the sensible answer. If you have spare time on your hands and rely on the reports for historical data, you can go back to previous days and change that entry to the correct one as well.
  • Wingg_
    Options
    Thank you for all the great advices!!
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    Even if you went back and changed your diary, it doesn't change what went in your body. So really, it would be a pointless exercise.

All the good values you record are estimates.

Bingo.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    I have just realised that I've been using the wrong calories for my Japanese sweet potato... I use 87cal per 100 instead of the correct cal which is 132cal per 100g. What should I do now?? Should I just continue using the wrong info or switch to the correct calorie info? I have been eating Japanese sweet potato almost daily... What should I do now? I am trying to find out my maintenance calorie, will this affect it? Should I go back to all my previous dairy and change the entries of my Japanese sweet potato to the correct calorie??
    Don't go back and correct. Just use the correct one now because it really won't change anything.

I've done stuff like that before. It happens.