How many calories?

Options
So, I'm very confused on how many calories I need to be eating in order to lose weight. I want to lose about 30-40lbs. I'm currently at 165 (plateaued for over a year now), 5'8''. If my BMR is 1500, do I need to eat 1500? Do I need to eat less than the BMR? I'm so confused on what my target calorie goal should be in order to lose weight, so if anyone has any tips I would really appreciate it.

Replies

• _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    Type your numbers and goal into mfp and it'll tell you
  • 257_Lag
    257_Lag Posts: 1,249 Member
    Options
    Lot's of people (myself included) use this:

http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/
  • PDarrall
    PDarrall Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Typically you have to eat at least your BMR. However MFP will give you a fairly good guide. To lose weight, you need to eat under your TDEE.
  • keepcalmandlose89
    Options
    TDEE?
  • xsmilexforxmex
    xsmilexforxmex Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    If your BMR is 1500 you should *NET* at least 1500. that means if you work out you need to eat back calories until you reach 1500. This is because your BMR is your basal metabolic rate, the number of calories your body supposedly burns by just living. If you laid in bed literally all day and did not move, that is the number of calories your body would use to keep you alive.
  • tracydr
    tracydr Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    At 5'8" 120 lbs seems unrealistic. I have a good friend that height who is twig skinny at 132. How old were you when you weighed 120 last?
    I find as I get older, my good weight is heavier than when I was in high school or college. When I was in my early twenties, I easily weighed 105 and was chunky at 118. Now, at age 48, 118-120 is a perfect weight for me and I even wear the same clothing size as when I was younger. I'm 5'1 1/2".
    Just don't want you to be set up for failure before you even start.
  • PDarrall
    PDarrall Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Total Daily Energy Expenditure - TDEE.

Number of articles on here about it and online.
  • dulciedarling
    Options
    Hi, 1500 is way to low if your aim is to loose approx 40pounds, I've got 10pound to loose and I'm on 1550, and lost 2 pound this week. I've been calorie counting for over 15years now, I lost 56pound 15yrs ago, I have kept it off, calories are always at the back of my mind, once I see I've gained a few pounds, I'm back on it, good luck. :smile:
  • keepcalmandlose89
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I feel like I'm dying if I go too low. I just can't get the hang of things, it seems. :(
  • ezloshead
    ezloshead Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    If you feel hungry all the time try drinking a bottle of water before you eat and have five small meals throughout the day so you never go to long without eating. As for calorie count, if you're having trouble talk to your doctor, but reading the articles everyone is posting should give you an idea.