DEmotivated by my before and after pics!

Options
I have lost 10 of the 18 pounds I am trying to lose. Today I made a collage of my pictures side by side and I am shocked - not only by the LACK of change but the failure of my body to look as good as I hoped it would at this weight. Until I looked at the pictures I was REALLY motivated b/c all of my old clothes were fitting and I was feeling good about being smaller. Now I feel like I have been fooling myself! ANyone else experience this?

Replies

• Pawsntails
    Pawsntails Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I know I won't want to share my photos in future lol but maybe post them and let someone else see where the improvements are and let them show you? You may not be able to see it yourself but others might
  • tracywintn
    Options
    I think you should take pictures in the "before" clothes so you are comparing apples to apples. You will see how much better you look in the exact same clothes-hopefully they will be obviously loose on you. Good luck!
  • sunflowerhippi
    sunflowerhippi Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    Yes in some ways. I thought that 40lbs lighter I would look a lot different then I do and it has slightly put a funk in my loss. I kinda stalled at this same 5lbs yo yo for a while now just kinda at that what's the point additude. I realize that I thought I had 10lbs to go and more have 20 or so.

So sorry no real help just that you are no alone.
  • LishieFruit89
    LishieFruit89 Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    Weight train.
  • impyimpyaj
    impyimpyaj Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    I agree with tracywintn that you should take pics in the same clothes, not new ones. Also, sometimes when you first lose weight, your skin is still a little loose and you can look a little deflated in places. Stick with it, do some strength exercise to keep your muscle tone and burn fat, and be patient with yourself.
  • PSUgrl921
    PSUgrl921 Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    I agree with pawsntails. When I was doing better and had lost weight, I could not see a difference AT ALL! I was so demotivated and still didn't want to even put on a bathing suit (it was summertime). However, when other people saw me (usually my family who sees me more regularly) they could all tell the difference.

We are our own worst critics after all!
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    have you picked up a barbell?
  • toddis
    toddis Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    Weight train.
    Is that like Soul Train?
    soultrain.gif

make sure you measure yourself, some times the eye lies.
  • LVCeltGirl
    Options
    Since we don't have the pictures to point out the differences, then my only suggestion and hope to motivate you is to remind you of the term used on here called "Skinny Fat". That's because you aren't doing weight training (or strength training) and you're losing weight, then you're losing lean muscle as well as fat. Your clothes will fit better (especially if you have only a small amount to lose) but side by side comparisons (before and after pictures) won't show a change.

That's my uneducated opinion from what I've read here and from what I've been taught by people who are more educated than myself on the subject.
  • katw0man_
    katw0man_ Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Just keep up the good work and be patient. The results will be worth it
  • mamadon
    mamadon Posts: 1,422 Member
    Options
    I think it could be because sometimes we see an untrue version of ourself in pictures. I know, I'll be feeling all skinny and attractive and then see a picture of myself and think ugh, I still look fat lol. It's tough to see ourselves with an unbiased eye.
  • gofitness66
    Options
    We are the most critical when it comes to ourselves, so you might not be seeing what others see. If you are anything like me, you want to see results immediately and get discouraged when you don't. It's so hard to stay motivated.
  • salladeve
    salladeve Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options
    I think you are expecting an awful lot out of 10lbs! I can gain or lose 10lbs and not even see or feel a difference in my clothes. Hopefully you measured yourself at the beginning, so that when you hit the 18lbs you will see the difference in inches.
  • shaney13
    shaney13 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Thanks all! I AM WEIGH TRAINING 3 days a week, running two days and week and one day of Pilates! I took the pictures in the SAME EXACT "outfit" but i'm too shy to post! Thanks for reminding me I am not alone! and yes, we are our own worst critics!
  • SomeNights246
    SomeNights246 Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    The eyes lie a LOT in the beginning. Weight loss is a big change, and it takes a while for us to adjust to the change. Give it time. I'm sure you're looking great. You're right, we really can be our own worst critics.
  • Sinisterly
    Sinisterly Posts: 10,913 Member
    Options
    Weight train.
    ^ This.

Really shape your body with weights.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Sometimes it takes a while to 'see it' or even to have it reflect on the tape measure as we only measure a few points. You say your clothes are fitting better, so you are making progress.

Try to ensure that your weight training routine incorporates progressive loading (i.e. upping weights/reps) and that it is something that provides adequate stimulus (ie reps below the 15 rep range so it is not only endurance), get sufficient protein, keep to a reasonable caloric deficit and be patient and consistent.
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    I'm sure you look great and there ARE improvements, we're all just much too hard on ourselves and have distorted expectations of what we should look like when we lose weight.

You know how we all have that "oh ****" moment when we realize we're a lot bigger than we thought we were? If we were able to put on the weight without necessarily being conscious of the changes, why do we get frustrated when we lose a little weight and don't see huge physical changes? It's funny when you think about it, and I'm sure it's due to our being much more conscious of our behaviors and efforts in losing the weight than putting it on. That's what I keep reminding myself when I get frustrated - I put the weight on slowly enough that I didn't really notice, it's going to come off slowly and take time to notice as well.
  • RaspberryKeytoneBoondoggle
    Options
    Sometimes pictures can be deceiving too. If the before pics are taken in more flattering light or angle, that could make a difference. Also, for me, often the time of day or the time of month can make a difference. Stay patient and keep going:)
  • toddis
    toddis Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    Also, if you need some motivation do this when taking your after photos

"Once you’ve taken a photo of yourself in daggy clothes while slouching, simply transform yourself in 15 minutes for your after shot by:

1. Putting on fake tan

2. Wear black exercise pants and top

3. Stand up tall and push your shoulders back

4. Pull your stomach in

5. Stand a little wider

6. Zoom out a little more than your before picture and smile as if you are happy with your new hot body.

While it sounds a little crazy that a personal trainer would do this, Mel wanted people to know the truth about these type of images.

“Transformations take time, and good lighting can make buddah have a six pack,” Mel says."

( http://www.lifeincorporated.net/truth-revealed-fitness-photos/ )