What veggies do you like to grill?

Options
fast_eddie_72
fast_eddie_72 Posts: 719 Member
I'm trying to get more veggies in my diet. I bought some Asparagus because I always kind of liked it on the grill. Wondering what other veggies people like to grill and any prep and cooking tips you might have.

Thanks!

Replies

• abble_pie
    abble_pie Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Portabella (spelling?) mushrooms are delicious on the grill! They can be used as a burger... plenty of recipes online!
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    Options
    I like roasting veg, it's pretty similar - red peppers, butternut squash, beetroot, onions, corn on the cob, whole garlic... anything really!

Some people are very keen on grilled aubergine (eggplant) or courgette (zucchini), you could try those too. And mushrooms!
  • Ctrum69
    Ctrum69 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    portabello or other large mushroom caps, sliced peppers (red, green, yellow), eggplant, sweet onions.

I toss them with olive oil, garlic, and herbs, and then grill them in a basket over medium heat.

They require keeping a close eye.. too short and they are crispy outside, cold and crunchy inside, too long they are just mush.
  • skittlesnhoney
    skittlesnhoney Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    I love grilled onions and peppers. Sometimes I'll throw them on top of my grilled steak. I have a grilling basket I throw veggies into.

Before I had the grilling basket, I would make a packet out of tin foil. I'd chop up some zucchini, summer squash, carrots and onions, add a little pat of butter and wrap it up and throw it on the grill. Super yummy.

I don't use my grill much this time of year, it sits under a ton of snow. But I have a grill pan that I use on the stove to grill my meat on.
  • seamonster1203
    seamonster1203 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    cut an onion in half and throw it on the grill with the peel....it comes out so very sweet goes well with burgers or steak. also grilled tomatoes have a pretty unique taste
  • LauraHasABabyJack
    LauraHasABabyJack Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    Zucchini in long slices with steak seasoning is one of my favorites. I also like peppers, onions, and Portobello mushrooms on the grill. They're great marinated as slices in balsamic vinegrette for a few hours before grilling. Marinate chicken too and grill and its a wonderful dinner.
  • fast_eddie_72
    fast_eddie_72 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    I have a grilling basket I throw veggies into.

I had never heard of that! Getting one.

Thanks for all the ideas! Keep them coming!
  • mekkzy888
    mekkzy888 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Everything! Broccoli, cauliflower, peppers, mushrooms, corn on the cob, carrots, parsnips, green beans, the list could go on. One thing I can't stand though is cooked tomatoes. Don't ask me why - I love them raw, but cooked I think they taste awful. Unless it's in a sauce or on pizza.
  • dklibert
    dklibert Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    Portabello mushrooms, eggplant, zucchini, yellow squash, any color of bell pepper, poblano peppers, asparagus, onions (red or yellow), green onions, tomatoes, broccollini and finally potatoes but I put them in a foil packet.

http://soupspiceeverythingnice.blogspot.com/2013/02/grilled-vegetables.html
  • dklibert
    Options
    I forgot corn!
  • dklibert
    Options
    Portobello Fajitas
    http://soupspiceeverythingnice.blogspot.com/2012/10/portobello-fajitas.html
    Serves 4

4 portobello mushroom caps
    2 zucchini, sliced into 1/4” planks
    1 purple onion, sliced into 3 rounds
    1 poblano pepper, halfed, stemmed and seeded
    1 red bell pepper, halfed, stemmed and seeded
    1 lb frozen corn
    Steak seasoning [recipe follows]
    olive oil
    lime juice
    Worcestershire sauce
    Chimichurri sauce [recipe follows]

Preheat grill. Prepare corn as directed on package and set aside. Meanwhile, season veggies with steak seasoning, drizzle of olive oil, lime juice and Worcestershire sauce. Grill veggies for about 5 minutes a side on a high grill. Remove veggies. Chop zucchini, onion, and peppers into bite side pieces add to corn and stir to combine. Slice mushrooms into 1/2“ slices.

To serve, place 1/4 of corn mixture in the center of each plate. Top with one of the sliced mushrooms and drizzle with chimichurri sauce.

Enjoy as is or accompany with the usual set up of warm flour tortillas, shredded cheese, pico de gallo, guacamole and sour cream

Chimichurri

3/4 of a large bunch of fresh flat leaf parsley, washed, stemmed and dried
    1/4 of a large bunch of cilantro, washed, stemmed and dried
    8 cloves of garlic, peeled
    3 tablespoons minced onion
    5 tablespoons distilled white vinegar, or more to taste
    5 tablespoons water
    1 teaspoon coarse salt
    1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
    1/2 to 1 teaspoon hot pepper flakes, or to taste
    1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
    1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil

Finely chop the parsley and garlic in the food processor. Add the onion, vinegar, water, salt, oregano, pepper flakes, and black pepper and processing brief bursts until the salt crystals are dissolved. Add the oil in a thin stream. Don't over process; the chimichurri should be fairly coarse. Will keep in the refrigerator for several weeks.

Steak Seasoning

1 tsp salt
    1 tsp seasoned salt
    1 tsp granulated garlic
    1 tsp onion salt
    1 tsp black pepper

Blend all ingredients in a glass jar, store in a cool dark place. Use to season beef. Great on steak.
  • dklibert
    Options
    Spaghetti Squash
    http://soupspiceeverythingnice.blogspot.com/2013/09/bbq-spaghetti-squash-with-pulled-chicken.html

Pre-heat grill to high heat for 10 minutes, and then turn it down to medium heat to cook the squash. While pre-heating the grill, wash the outside shell of the spaghetti squash, cut the squash in half lengthwise and scoop out the seeds.

Rub the cut-side with vegetable oil and sprinkle with Sweet and Spicy Rub before placing it on the grill. Place the squash cut-side down directly on the grate. Cook the squash for 20 minutes. Flip squash cut-side up after 20 minutes. Cook another 20 minutes checking for doneness on occasion. Check the squash by touch the inside with a fork to see if the fibers are cooked and ready to pull apart. Remove from grill.

When squash is cool enough to handle, cut each half in half. Place each quarter on a plate and pull the squash into spaghetti like strands.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,625 Member
    Options
    I use a cast iron griddle pan. Along with all the other stuff already mentioned, add fennel and green beans.
  • JenniTheVeggie
    JenniTheVeggie Posts: 2,474 Member
    Options
    All of them! Thinly sliced zucchini and eggplant is my favorite. Drizzle with a little olive oil, sprinkle on freshly shredded Parmesan and fresh chopped basil.
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,932 Member
    Options
    Vegetables go in salads, they do not besmirch ma grill.
  • KristinaB83
    KristinaB83 Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    All of them!
  • Eleonora91
    Eleonora91 Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    Oval sliced zucchini + sliced eggplants. :)
  • MikeCopa
    MikeCopa Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    May sound weird but I love grilled broccoli. :D
  • dklibert
    Options
    Mushroom Chili Rellenos Tacos
    http://soupspiceeverythingnice.blogspot.com/2013/08/mushroom-chili-rellenos-tacos.html
    Serves 2

Ingredients

2 poblano peppers
    2 portabello mushrooms, marinated [Click here for Marinade recipe]
    1 cup Monterey Jack cheese, shredded
    4 small flour tortillas

Directions

Pre-heat grill to medium-high heat for 10 minutes. Marinate mushrooms 10 minutes before ready to cook. Rub poblano peppers with a little vegetable oil. Poblanos should be left whole. Place poblanos on the grill. Grill for five minutes on each side on medium high heat. Remove poblanos and cover with plastic wrap. Grill mushrooms for 5 minutes a side. Remove from grill and slice. When poblanos are cool enough to touch, peel off the skin of poblanos. Cut poblanos in half from stem to tip, remove seeds, stem and veins being careful not to split open the sides of the pepper. Place a flour tortilla on a sheet of parchment paper, place a poblano half on top. Fill poblano with 1/2 of a mushroom and 1/4 cup of cheese, fold tortilla around poblano and wrap in parchment. Place 2 parchment wrapped tacos on a microwave safe plate. Microwave 45 seconds to 1 minute until cheese has melted and tortilla is soft and warm. Serve.
  • therexpert
    Options
    Grilled Chile peppers stuffed quinoa and black beans