What kind of exercises do you do for weight training?

Options
I'm curious what exercises people do here for their weight training days. If you could, please tell me what all kinds of exercises you do, what (or approx.) weight you started at, how many reps, and how many sets. I'm interested in starting weight training and doing it reliably but I have no idea what kind of exercises to do. I am looking for free-weight stuff.

Right now I have only been doing:
Bicep curls: 25lbs, 3 sets of 12 reps
Tricep extension: 25lbs, 3 sets of 12 reps
Weighted squats: 30lbs, 3 sets of 10 reps

I want to come up with a weight training plan for me that works my arms, core, thighs, and butt specifically. If you could share what exercises you do, that would be awesome! Looking for inspiration so I can build my own plan.

Replies

• Dellie1989
    Options
    Bump!
  • lmccull1982
    Options
    deadlifts, weighted lunges, bench press, shoulder press with dumbbells, weighted squats, pushups, dumbell rows
  • FrankiesSaysRelax
    FrankiesSaysRelax Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    I would recommend looking into the new rules of lifting for women or stronglifts. They're programs already designed by someone else and all you have to do is follow along.
  • toddis
    toddis Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    Stronglifts 5x5 is how i started. New Rules comes highly recommended.

Currently due to injury I do:

bench
    dumbbell row
    lat pulldown
    arnold press

for 5 sets of 5
    or 4 sets of 8

weight is whatever allows me to hit those rep ranges.
  • AuroraCoL
    AuroraCoL Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Squats are AMAZING! I see you're already doing them though, so... have you tried lunges? You'll definitely feel the burn with those!
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    Options
    weight lifting days:
    4-5 sets, usually starting around 60% max and pyramiding up with sets of 8-2 (this is very generalized)
    bench
    squats
    deadlifts
    auxilliaries: lunges, good mornings, skull crushers, rows, over head press calf raises--all done with the bar 4-5 sets of 5-10reps
    On non-weight lifting days I do 30DS, RI30, body boot camp, The Firm, or aerobics dvd. I also practice my pull-ups and push-ups:)
  • gingercurves
    gingercurves Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    thanks for all the replies! I have a list ill be trying out tomorrow :) great ideas everyone!
  • AusEliza
    AusEliza Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    deadlifts, weighted lunges, bench press, shoulder press with dumbbells, weighted squats, pushups, dumbell rows
    I do exactly this. These multi joint exercises are by far the most time effective and best for burning fat.