night on the town

MissAnjy
MissAnjy Posts: 2,480 Member
edited September 21 in Health and Weight Loss
okay, so I haven't drank since I began dieting and I didn't intend on drinking at all. However, my husband and I have now been invited to a birthday party this weekend & the entire focus seems to be drinking. It's a backyard bbq & then they are hitting the gay bar (birthday boy is gay). I guess I don't HAVE to drink, but I'd like to have a little something to feel a part of the festivities (since the entire party is drinking related). I guess i just don't want to feel "left out" or be completely bored or feel like an outcast because im not participating in the fun. Now, i'm not talking that I want to go get myself loaded up, but for a couple of drinks what would be the best choice to drink ? I'd like to sip on something, or have a couple light drinks to feel a part of the occasion but don't want to completely blow my diet. I've worked so hard !!!!

Can anyone suggest a drink that is low calorie ??

I like vodka & water but i'm really unsure about calories in alcoholic drinks! Anyone with info ... please :)

Replies

• solrak1969
    solrak1969 Posts: 92 Member
    I discovered Miller Genuine Draft Light. Its only 64 cals. If you like beer its not so bad.
  • MissAnjy
    MissAnjy Posts: 2,480 Member
    oh thankyou, you're amazing. All i really drink is beer :)
    I just thought beer was a lost cause for me! I thought they were all 300+ calories, except this new one Molson 67 but I've yet to try that!! I'll have to try this MGD light. Thankyou :)
  • brittonymiller
    brittonymiller Posts: 2,061 Member
    I tried the budweiser 55 calorie beer. It's okay to me, but my husband thinks it tastes like water. I didn't really care, though, since I just wanted to have a couple of beers to feel like I was a part of the festivities too. I totally know where you are coming from.
  • danibabs
    danibabs Posts: 298 Member
    Cocktails with diet soda are usually under or around 100 cals. I like rum and diet coke, or amaretto and diet coke (sooooo good), or vodka and diet sprite. Vodka cranberry's not that bad either, prob around 170 or so.
  • 4lafz
    4lafz Posts: 1,078 Member
    I would have a white wine and have soda withlime the rest of the night. Vodka would probably be a better choice than beer - I would stay away from even the low cal beer. I just returned from a cruise and put on 4 lbs with the alcohol I drank! I watched my calories and worked out on ship. Lost it now but YIKES - it was a scare! Anyway - someone posted this months ago on MFP - and I copied and kept it.

Pina Colada (6 oz): 378 calories
    • Mojito (8 oz): 214 calories
    • Cosmopolitan (4 oz): 200 calories
    • Chocolate martini: (2 oz each vodka, chocolate liqueur, cream, 1/2 oz creme de cacao, chocolate syrup): 438
    • Margarita (8 oz): 280
    • Green apple martini (1 oz each vodka, sour apple, apple juice): 148
    • Martini (2.5 oz): 160
    • Port wine (3 oz):128
    • Bloody Mary (5 oz): 118
    • Red wine (5 oz):120
    • White wine (5 oz): 120
    • Alcohol-free wine (5 oz): 20-30
    • Beer (12 oz): 150-198
    • Light beer (12 oz): 95-136
    • Ultra-light beer (12 oz): 64-95
    • Champagne (5oz): 106-120
    • Coffee liqueur (3 ounces): 348
    • Godiva chocolate liqueur (3 oz): 310
    • Wine spritzer (5 oz): 100
    • Eggnog with rum (8 ounces): 370
    • Hot chocolate with peppermint schnapps (8 oz): 380
    • Hot buttered rum (8 oz): 292
    • Spiced cider with rum ( 8 oz):150
    • Mulled wine (5 oz): 200
    • Vodka and tonic (8 oz): 200
    • Screwdriver (8 oz): 190
    • Mimosa (4 oz): 75
    • Gin and tonic (7 oz): 200
    • Long Island iced tea (8 oz): 780
    • White Russian (2 oz vodka, 1.5 oz coffee liqueur, 1.5 oz cream): 425
    • Mai Tai (6 oz) (1.5 oz rum, 1/2 oz cream de along, 1/2 oz triple sec, sour mix, pineapple juice): 350
    • Rum and Coke (8 oz): 185
    • Rum and Diet Coke (8 oz): 100
    • Mike's Hard Lemonade (11 oz): 98
  • just4peachy
    just4peachy Posts: 594 Member
    I agree with brittonymiller's hubby, I think the Bud Select 55 tastes like water. The MGD 64 has decent flavor for a light beer and neither have very much alcohol so you're less likely to get tipsy & make poor food choices. Also keep in mind, it's been a while since you drank so your tolerance is going to be pretty low.
    Have a good time and alternate with water whatever you decide to drink!
  • tawny7
    tawny7 Posts: 276 Member
    Wow!! 780 calories in a long island iced tea??? I use to drink at least 2 of them when I went out! Of course they would kick my butt...that was the point though! lol!!
  • frogmommy
    frogmommy Posts: 151 Member
    Sam Adams Light is a good option (if they serve it at the bar) also if you are typically into heavier beers than the standard Bud and Miller. A Sam Light is about 124 calories per bottle. I am not a fan of the MGD 64 or the Bud Light type light beer, but the Sam Light does the trick for me!
  • Rynatat
    Rynatat Posts: 807 Member
    Since I have Celiac's and there are a lot of drinks I can't have anymore, I keep mine pretty simple. I drink red wine (cabernet savignon) or I'll do a vodka with flavoured seltzer water: that way I avoid the artificial sweeteners which seem to set me off. Per drink, like the list above, 6 oz wine is around 120 cals (alcohol content higher in wine, so 1 glass is like 3-4 beers used to be for me :tongue: ), vodka is around 75-100 cals per 1 to 1.5 oz shot (I drink Potato Vodka due to gluten in regular vodkas so my count may be a bit higher or lower than reg vodka).

I hope you have a great party - it's OK to let loose sometimes as well, every body needs a kick in the rear to remind it that it still needs to work :happy:
  • Shash27
    Shash27 Posts: 172
    I usually go for a single Vodka Diet coke..most single liquor (rum, vodka, whiskey) and diets are under 100 cal. Here's another guide :-)

http://www.hornetjuice.com/calories-alcohol.html
  • It's surprising but of available full flavored beers, Guinness Stout is the lowest in calories. One pint is 125 calories (FYI If you look it up on MFP one of the entries out of many is flat wrong and lists it as 210). To me a pint of that is more satisfying than a light beer.

Otherwise, my favorite light beer is Becks Light which comes in at 64 Calories. Vodka with club soda & lime is my favorite mixed drink. No added calories from a mixer and no diet soda (I can't stand the taste).

Another trick I've used in the past is to drink a club soda with a splash of cranberry juice between each alcoholic beverage. I stay hydrated and it still looks like I have a mixed drink in my hand.

Good luck!
This discussion has been closed.