Weight loss and bone density

Options
I just got my DEXA numbers back from my recent bone density scan and was surprised and concerned at the amount of bone loss since my last scan two years ago. In 2012, I lost 23% of my body weight, but I knew to be careful not to drop my calories below 1200. I would not have gone that low except that my BMR was about 1100. I also took calcium + Vitamin D supplements and consciously selected a variety of calcium rich food. In this past two years, I have also regularly done weight-bearing exercises.

In looking at the research, I now see is a strong connection between weight loss and bone loss, especially when the weight loss is rapid.

So for all those threads where people are asking if they really need to eat 1200+ calories if they don't feel hungry and the others who express impatience with slow loss, be aware of protecting your bones. Of course, this is especially true of us older women, but it affects all ages and men to at a lesser degree.

Go slow, don't under eat, consume as many calcium-rich foods as you can, and do a variety of weight-bearing exercises. I have an appointment with my physician about what I can do now, short of taking bone-building medication, which I do not want to do.

Replies

• tracydr
    tracydr Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    Have you had a vitamin D level done? Vitamin D deficiency is extremely common. I take 2,000 units and it keeps me in the normal range.
  • chargraves
    chargraves Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting this! I am 52 and have been lax about working in the 2 dairy servings a day recommended under my WW guidelines. This is really a wake up call.
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    Yes, my Vitamin D level is normal. I apparently just lost a lot of weight and my bones aren't happy about it.
  • megaen29
    megaen29 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I know I've seen something on a TV show that says people that carry more weight "generally" have more dense bones due to carrying more weight on their body and their bones need to support that extra weight.

While on a weight loss plan it is crucial to have your two or three days of weight training per week or bone density will diminish especially after the age of 30 when you can no longer build your bones you can only maintain what you have.
  • Kymmu
    Kymmu Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    Do you know the Chinese leafy vegetable bok choy is a powerhouse of calcium?
    Vita soy calcium + has 400 mg /cup.
    Sardines with bones mashed in = high calcium, same with white beans, chia seeds, almonds fig.
    You can get it in lots of ways in each meal/snack!
    Just make sure you take / eat magnesium so your body can absorb it properly.
    I'm looking into this with my Mum. I've been researching a diet plan for her.
  • jetinder
    jetinder Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Thanks for this. Just had an MRI on my knee for a niggly issue and the radiographer noticed my bone density was down from a year ago. They are scheduling a dexa scan in the next few weeks to see what's up. I said to the doctor that it's probably the rapid weight loss (46% in 14 months) and the reduction of milk (I used to drink up to a litre a day, now barely a couple of mouthfuls in coffee).

I toyed with the idea of supplements after running a calcium report on MFP (it's miserably low compared to my RDA), but I think it will be better if I follow the doctors advice on how to best address the issue. Fingers crossed it can be easily treated.

btw I'm 42 and do about 3 sets of 30 min sessions a week with either heavy weights or heavy kettlebells to work on strength.

This is a massive wake up call for me too!
    jet
  • Sobus76
    Sobus76 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Have you had a vitamin D level done? Vitamin D deficiency is extremely common. I take 2,000 units and it keeps me in the normal range.

how is that extremely common unless If you dont see the sun, suffer from milk allergies, or adhere to a strict vegetarian diet?
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options

how is that extremely common unless you live in the far north and never see sunlight?

Its pretty common. Lot of people get up with the mornings light go to work in a building then by the time the come home to another building its dusk to dark. Not everyone gets to be outside during the day.
  • Sobus76
    Sobus76 Posts: 242 Member
    Options

how is that extremely common unless you live in the far north and never see sunlight?

Its pretty common. Lot of people get up with the mornings light go to work in a building then by the time the come home to another building its dusk to dark. Not everyone gets to be outside during the day.

I'm one of those people yet i dont have a deficiency
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    Do you know the Chinese leafy vegetable bok choy is a powerhouse of calcium?
    Vita soy calcium + has 400 mg /cup.
    Sardines with bones mashed in = high calcium, same with white beans, chia seeds, almonds fig.
    You can get it in lots of ways in each meal/snack!
    Just make sure you take / eat magnesium so your body can absorb it properly.
    I'm looking into this with my Mum. I've been researching a diet plan for her.
    I think she mentioned that she takes a calcium supplement and eats a lot of calcium rich food. :ohwell:

Thanks for posting this OP - I think this is something that a lot of people don't think about or are aware of.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,023 Member
    Options

I'm one of those people yet i dont have a deficiency

Yes but that is you - it isn't everyone.

Vitamin D deficiency is quite common - that is just a factual statement.
    Lack of Vitamin D has repercussions for osteoporosis.

Whether the reasons are more time indoors, diet, use of sun screens - is a matter of debate.