Trying to lose - need friendly support

Here's my story.

I'm 44yo, male, and struggling with my weight since puberty. I'm tall, and I've been told I "carry it well", but no one would look at me and think anything but "fat". My health otherwise is pretty darn good. I have low cholesterol, my blood sugar is great,, and my doctor says I'm one of the healthiest overweight people he's ever seen. But overweight (actually obese) I definitely am. I would love to lose 50 lbs, ideally 100 lbs.

I don't eat junk food (except on rare occasions), I stay away from processed foods, and am a huge fan of Michael Pollan's books.

I've also been a strict vegetarian since the age of 21, except a 10 month break around 2 years ago when I was trying to get more protein after cutting back on gluten and dairy, which were both giving me issues. Unlike people who try to be vegetarians and fall off the wagon, so to speak, I did the opposite - I couldn't stick to meat - it just bothered me too much, so I went back to vegetarianism, albeit now pesco-vegetarianism (eating fish). And in any case, I GAINED weight on meat, instead of losing, despite trying to be Atkins-ish.

I get exercise on a regular basis & walt a couple of miles every day. I bike & swim & occasionally hike.

My wife & I are kind of foodies, and that's the problem. I've been told I'm a very good cook. I like to eat. And I think in some ways I'm addicted to eating. And work stress makes me more likely to binge. Yes, binging might mean an omelet with fried vegetables and olive oil. But I use way too much olive oil. I like carbs too much, even if it's whole spelt bread.

On the advice of my doctor, who told me that in my 40's I could no longer just coast on having good blood test results, I joined Weight Watchers a few months ago. I started tracking and for the first time in years I began to actually lose weight. But the WW meetings were a bit silly, and they pushed their products too much. And their mobile app is really difficult to use. On a friend's advice, I downloaded the MFP app, which works SO much better! And while continuing to attend WW meetings, I used the MFP app and MFP online instead. But I felt more & more disconnected from WW because of that. So I quit back around Thanksgiving and figured I could just continue to lose weight by continuing to use MFP. But without the routine and encouragement of weekly meetings, as silly as they were, and without the weekly weight-in, I kept falling off tracking. I haven't gained back all the 14 lbs I lost, but I may have gained back around 5 of them.

I keep thinking that I should go to OA meetings, but haven't gotten myself to do so yet. I'm not sure I'd be comfortable with the whole quasi-religious aspect of it, even if they make everyone welcome.

So I'm hoping to kick off fresh enthusiasm for myself by getting involved in MFP groups and forums at least, to help keep me on the straight & narrow. I know what I have to do. I just have a hard time doing it.

Any advice and encouragement would be very appreciated.

Thanks!

-Dave

Replies

• Stubbornfighter
    Stubbornfighter Posts: 63 Member
    Dave , as a vegetarian for 10 years now I feel I can offer you support . Being a good cook is the best because you can make healthy things that taste good too :) Granted, at 18 I don't possess all the wisdoms you do, but I'm here as a friend if you'd like. All the best of luck to you ^^
  • Hi, Dave..
    Similar age and weight loss goals. Often told I do not look as heavy as I am However I know and that is enough, I am clueless about the vegetarian stuff and love steak, lol In the end its calorie deficit that creates weight loss. Trick is burning more them you take in. Noticed that you need to fill in your profile and upload a pic. Not normally my favorite thing to do but decided to face this thing head on and take a good look at myself and hopefully look at a much better me a little down the road. I am looking for friends with similar goals to share what works for me as well as learn from my friends what works for them. Give and get encouragement and get thru this goal. Looking to lose 50 lbs to start. Hope all is well. Nice to meet you..
  • Thanks, SF! Any encouragement and friendship is very welcome.
  • Thanks, Sjtepe12.

I've actually been using MFP as a very simle tracking tool for some months, but the name I chose was too identifiable and I'd already changed it once. So I deleted my account and created a new one that I could use in the message boards and groups.That's why my profile was empty. But in the same vein, I'm not comfortable putting up my face yet. I just filled out my profile a bit and added a picture, but I'm obviously not actually a lovable green ogre (except at a costume part once, and my wife was dressed as Fiona!)

I admire you putting up your picture, and you happen to look great. I'm just not ready to be even semi non-anonymous here yet.

Thanks for the encouragement. Meat eater or not, any advice is appreciated!
  • MyFoodGod
    MyFoodGod Posts: 184 Member
    Since you mention OA I think you should check out the podcasts and go to a couple of meetings on or offline.

Your higher power can be anything. Many members came in as atheists and have defined their own higher power. Don't let that keep you away.
  • Hi Dave, I'll be your friend! Send me a request! We are both animated characters, after all, lol! I am 51, have lost 55 lbs., and have another 140 or so to lose. Hang in there - we can do this! :smile:
  • kempt_ken
    kempt_ken Posts: 96 Member
    I'm curious how the past few months you've been using MFP has been worked for you? That way we can start to figure out what kinds help of support we can offer you.

My wife an I have been doing this for 5 month and have both had pretty good success with it. She is at maintenance now and I have anther 20 lbs of my 50 lb goal to go.

I understand the photo reluctance...I came from the first net generation. We were always careful about posting personal details on line. I still find the Zuccerburg FB approach to personal information and privacy feels a little creepy.

Thanks, Sjtepe12.

I've actually been using MFP as a very simle tracking tool for some months, but the name I chose was too identifiable and I'd already changed it once. So I deleted my account and created a new one that I could use in the message boards and groups.That's why my profile was empty. But in the same vein, I'm not comfortable putting up my face yet. I just filled out my profile a bit and added a picture, but I'm obviously not actually a lovable green ogre (except at a costume part once, and my wife was dressed as Fiona!)

I admire you putting up your picture, and you happen to look great. I'm just not ready to be even semi non-anonymous here yet.

Thanks for the encouragement. Meat eater or not, any advice is appreciated!