Too young to worry about "those things"...

xxgoriexx
xxgoriexx Posts: 39
edited September 21 in Food and Nutrition
Whenever I go to the doctor and they ask what medicines and vitamins/supplements I take, they look at me like I'm crazy.

Okay, so I take:
Some medicines I won't list, but I have bipolar II and an anxiety disorder, I take 2 medicines for those.
Omega 3 oil
Cod liver oil
Vitamin A
Vitamin E
Vitamin B
Vitamin D
Garlic oil
Cranberry supplements
Biotin
Potassium
Magnesium
and a good ol' women's multivitamin

Seems like a lot right?

The doctor always asks why I take them, I'm "so young, and too young to worry about those types of things right now."

I'm 23, but so what? There are a lot of things like hair-loss, hypertension, heart disease // heart attacks, chronic UTIs and yeast infections in the older women in my family, and diabetes ... so I take the same things they take as a preventative measure ... why am I too young to start worrying about it? Should I wait until I already have all of these things to worry about it? Even if I don't end up having any of these problems, it can't hurt ... can it?

My doctor never advises me NOT to take them, they always just act seriously confused.

Replies

• TheKitsune6
    TheKitsune6 Posts: 5,798 Member
    I'm "so young, and too young to worry about those types of things right now."

He may be implying that it's not harmful to get into the habit of doing that, but that you're so young now it won't really do anything as far as prevention.
  • kennedar
    kennedar Posts: 306 Member
    I think a lot of doctors do not realise the benifits of taking natural suppliments. They are very concerned with the "medicines" but do not know a ton about natural suppliments and the impacts they can have. I would caution that you should check to ensure that the meds you are on will not react with the suppliments. I would actually talk to a good natureopath about that as well as your doctor simply because they are very educated in natural suppliments. But if there are no contra-indications with any of the suppliments, and you feel better about taking them, then why not! Plus you are probably getting some great side effects. For example, the Omega oils can help with calming and stress levels, which is why I take them. You probably do not really need to be taking them, but if you want to, its your money!
  • astridfeline
    astridfeline Posts: 1,200 Member
    You are right. Doctors--the american health system in general--are not focused on prevention but on fixing health problems once they appear. Sad but true.
  • It is good that you think about those things early but every pill you take is an extra work for your liver and kidneys. Try to find herbal alternative and just stick to healthy diet. (It is my opinion though):flowerforyou:
  • nisijam5
    nisijam5 Posts: 9,964 Member
    Most docs aren't nutrionists and can't really recommend supplements...I would be careful with A, D, E and K since the are fat-souble and can be toxic....if you are getting these in your women's supplement...you shouldn't need extra
  • Scorpiomom222
    Scorpiomom222 Posts: 1,462 Member
    I'm bipolar too. Only I'm type 1. I don't think doctors like the fact that anyone would be trying to prevent any illness. Less money in their pocket, ya know? I wouldn't take them as vitamins, though. I would blend what you can in a shake so that you digest them. Did you know that the things that block the water treatment plant the most are undigested vitamins?
  • ymamyma
    ymamyma Posts: 227
    I understand where you're coming from. I take a prenatal vitamin (it's the only one I have found that doesn't make me feel ill), an omega 3, a calcium, b-complex and recently started taking a cinnamon supplement, as well.
  • I don't see any problems. However, what I'd do is add up all the ingredients etc of what you are taking and then see how much of each thing it is you're actually ingesting.
    e.g. 1000000% of Vitamin E or something.

Then research the high values and see what their toxity levels and symptoms are.
    There's also things where a abc vitamin or oil is not digested unless you have X quantities of efg vitamin and oil. Or the old too much protein can leach calcium from your bones etc.

Just be accountable for all these things you are eating and just don't blindly take them because it could be a good idea or that you've heard this and that. You could be quite literally urinating money. Often simply taking a good multi-vitamin is all you need, and then perhaps one or two other supplements if desired.
    They all aren't equal either, because sometimes 1 tablet is a serving or 3 tablets is a serving. But you have to read the label AND the directions on each bottle to get the correct apples to apples comparison.
    E.g. Bottle A may have a label that says 1 serving is 1 tablet and that it contains 10 of this and 20 of that.
    The directions may say take two tablets per day.
    Bottle B may have a label that says 1 serving is 2 tablets and that it contains 10 of this and 20 of that.
    But you're supposed to take 3 servings per day (6 tablets).
    It all changes the $$ and what levels you're ingesting.

Just pay attention, even break out a spreadsheet and track all the different servings and levels and nutrients so that you have a good picture of where your money is going, and what nutrients are off the charts or are too low, and/or are/aren't complementing each other.
  • In my 20s i used to take TONS of supplements.

I'm now in my 30s and only take a multivitamin.

I can't say I feel any worse for not taking the tons of supplements that I used to. In fact. if anything, I feel better because I'm not worrying about which pills I should be popping!
  • nisijam5
    nisijam5 Posts: 9,964 Member
    very well stated!!! Oats4breakfast
  • I would take a close look at how many of these vitamins you can get from eating food. I used to take vitamins B and E, but then I realized I could easily cover this with good nutrition. It's ALWAYS much better to get nutrients from your foods, as opposed to pills. I would definitely continue with omega-3 and vitamin D, because it is hard for a lot of people to get enough of these and they have a ton of health value.
  • rtmama
    rtmama Posts: 403 Member
    Personally, I think it's better (and healthier) to get vitamins and minerals from your food intake, vs pills.

I do take a multi-vitamin, fish oil, calcium, magnesium, and vit D, and I wish I didn't have to take that many!

Truthfully, the scientists try to isolate the nutrients in food but really they don't realize how many teenie tiny micronutrients are in foods, and how they react to each other.

Plus, unless you're buying from a very reliable source, there's no guarantee that the pills you are taking really offer the levels they claim. And not to mention any extra soy, wheat, etc that can be added.

And then there is the danger of overdosing on certain nutrients, like Vit A
  • Here's an example of looking at the labels and adjusting your intake.
    I have a multivitamin where the label reports high dosages of everything. If you follow the instructions, your pee is like a nuclear waste neon green.
    It says to take 3 pill 2 times a day.
    I take 1 pill a day and it matches the levels of most other multi's. Some are low (like iron), some are higher (like B's) but it's a supplement and not my only source. Diet is my main source and eating relevant foods will get me my proper intakes (like iron). This way, the 90 tablets in that bottle lasts me 90 days and I feel I'm getting the best benefit from it. Rather than it lasting me 30 days or something and with the toilet being more healthier than I :)
This discussion has been closed.