Where are you buying your transition clothes?

Options

Replies

• unapologeticallyemma
    Options
    op shops, ebay and my mates, no point buying anything expensive. I also shop at Kmart, Big W and Target.
  • Slippyslope
    Slippyslope Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Thank goodness I have 4 sizes down in my basement just waiting. To think I almost tossed those clothes last year.

Are there any resale shops near you? We have some really nice ones here, the stuff looks branded new. Some stuff still has tags on it.

We also have a really nice St. Vincent DePaul near us that has brand new and close to brand new stuff.

Good luck!
  • endoftheside
    endoftheside Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    Mostly thrift stores. The one pair of nice slacks I bought new I ended up kicking myself when they were too big after only wearing them three times (I don't wear black slacks often but for some reason I feel the need to always have a pair).
  • JennaHW
    JennaHW Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I used to buy from Ross Dress for less and macy's. For Macy's I would cut coupons and wait until they have a holiday sale, and go in and get dress and suits for work at around $30-$45. For the casual clothes, I would go to Good Will or salvation army or Clock thrift store. I would get just enough to last me a week so I could do laundry on the weekends.

I haven't had to buy very much now since I bounce like a yo-yo and I never threw any of my clothes away until this september when I gave my size 20-24's to the good will. I gave it to them so that it would remind me that I can't afford to buy big clothes again.

Walmart clothing aren't really good looking but they do have the basic sweat pants, and workout pants, and exercise bra which are good brand names.

Also, outlet malls, usually have a coupon book at the guest services. Get one if you need brand name stuff, so when you walk to the expensive store, you can use it to decrease their money. Also, for work clothes, I order online from a place call Metrostyle. Not a fancy store, but will give you basic pieces for work to help tie you over until you get to the right size.

Also, Platos' Closet, which is like a upscale resale thrift store.

Hope this helps.
  • jamebb
    jamebb Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Old navy is cheap, their clearance stuff is super cheap. They offer between 25-40 % pretty regularly if you sign up for their emails. They carry both regular and plus size (online only) stuff. They have free shipping and returns which almost makes up for the fact that their sizing can be really inconsistent, which means you have to return and exchange things, and the quality of the material has decreased in the past couple of years ( but long wear is less of a concern if it's only going to fit you for a couple of months anyway).

They have a decent of selection office-wear basics, casual clothes and a few dressier things, although it's not really my first choice for going out clothes.

I'm not sure of your age or gender, but if you are female and in your 20's forever 21 has relatively inexpensive, trendy options for going out. Also not the highest quality and their return policy kind of sucks, too.

TJ Maxx, marshall's, and burlington coat factory are also options, but I feel like you often have to search long and hard to find anything decent and their selection of sizes can be limited. I think finding sizes in thrift stores can be difficult too, especially if you are looking for larger sizes, but it's always an option.

One piece of advice is to buy stuff that still looks good when loose, rather than stuff that's only meant to be worn fitted. It will last you through a larger weight range without looking sloppy, as too big clothing sometimes does.
  • ebayaddict0127
    ebayaddict0127 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    31.. Forever 21 might be too young for me.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    I'm a huge fan of thrift stores and probably around 40% of my current wardrobe was purchased secondhand...however, there's a lot of good stuff to be found in "regular" stores too when you shop clearance and deeply discounted sale items. Some of my favorites are off price stores like Ross, TJ Maxx, Marshalls, but even Macy's, Kohls, JC Penney, have good sale priced items.

Also, I think Target is absolutely awesome for my current size range (XL and XXL, 14-16). Even 15-20 lb ago I found their plus stuff too big and the sizes I am wearing now were too small. But currently (198 lb, 5'8") Target is my go to!! Especially their clearance (website and in-store racks alike) this time of year...awesome deals on stuff i wear all the time like Fit 4 (curvy) skinnies, sweatshirts, cardigans, leggings, etc!!

As for Walmart...meh. I have a couple of shirts from there, and they're okay, but in general I find their selection is pretty horrible.
  • seltzermint555
    Options
    31.. Forever 21 might be too young for me.

oh no way! It's more about the specific styles you pick. I'm 37 and would totally shop there. I frequent the juniors sections of stores like Target and JC Penney, and as long as you steer clear of the screen printed stuff that screams "teen" you should be all right!
  • FJcntdwn2sknyluv
    FJcntdwn2sknyluv Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    Goodwill/ thrift stores....I hardly buy anything new anymore..
  • darkrose20
    darkrose20 Posts: 1,139 Member
    Options
    Thrift store or making my own. I figure I can use "ugly" fabric to practice while I transition to my goal weight, and that way I won't have to look at the ugly fabric for that long. :laugh:
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    I shop the clearance sections at Target and Kohls to keep the cost down. Works out just fine!
  • AusAshMommy
    AusAshMommy Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    I am also on the Thrift/Consignment store band wagon, we have one here in town that I am ABSOLUTELY in Love with - the beauty of it is that I can take in items that no longer fit and get cash on the spot for them! I then can use that cash to buy new items, it's a wonderful thing!
  • billyswife0516
    Options
    Love 2nd hand stores and Burkes (which is like a TJ Maxx).
  • karenolson59
    Options
    You don't want to spend a lot of money on clothes right now. Go to thrift stores and garage sales when they start back up.
    Also your nice pants, dresses take to cleaners to have taken in.
    Good Luck!
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    Thrift stores!!! I buy 90% of my clothes their and even pick up brand new stuff with tags still on!!! :happy:
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    The thrift stores are overpriced where I live... you're better off just getting clothes on sale at Kohls when they have a 30% off coupon, lol.

I didn't buy that many though. I waited as long as possible to buy. I had to buy new shorts in May but I only got a couple, for jeans I pretty much went from size 20 to 8, although the 8s were tight in September, and now they're a bit loose. Not a huge deal. I didn't buy any shirts until this Fall either and I'll just keep wearing those too (I lose from the top first anyway so they still fit great). I bought tight underwear on purpose in May and they still fit great... same for bras (although I could wear a size smaller).

So I'm pretty much only out the shorts, and I wore them for 5 months anyway, so not a huge deal, and they were cheap (I tend to only buy cheap clothes).
  • dunnodunno
    dunnodunno Posts: 2,290 Member
    Options
    Thrift stores. The one near to me is having a dollar sale soon. eBay I've bought a few things on, but find that people bid way too high for most clothing. I've bought a few pieces from Ross, TJMaxx, and Marshalls.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Thrift stores, consignment shops & discount shops (TJMaxx, Burlington and the like) mostly but I've gotten things at department stores too if there are good sales or coupons. It helps having friends and relatives that are changing sizes as well. I've gotten some t-shirts and dress pants from Mom and some jeans and workout clothes from one of my besties - too big for them, fit me perfectly! :)
  • seltzermint555
    Options
    The thrift stores are overpriced where I live... you're better off just getting clothes on sale at Kohls when they have a 30% off coupon, lol.

There are some great, cheap thrift stores in my area but I do know what you mean, too! Goodwill in my town has crazy-high prices on a lot of things, sometimes even higher than you would pay brand new (especially on shoes and dress pants/jeans for women). I only shop at Goodwill with a 50% off coupon. haha

I find mixing thrift store and clearance "regular" new items is the perfect solution for me. It gives me the opportunity to do the newest colors & trends and still save a lot of money on wardrobe staple items and coordinating basics.
  • Zomb1eMummy
    Zomb1eMummy Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I go to the smaller thrift stores. They usually have clothing for as little as 50 cents a piece to 1 dollar at my local ones, plus the proceeds go to things like food banks, adult career training, emergency housing, etc. :) It is a win-win.