Am I doing something wrong?

I've only been doing p90x for a week now. I've made some unhealthy dietary choices in the past out of desparation to lose weight, and (of course) they backfired. This time around, I want to lose it the healthy way. I am 5'2, and when I started a week ago, I was 104.5. Now, I'm 106.5. I know some of it could be muscle, but I've noticed that my inner thighs and love handlea have gotten bigger. These are my problem areas. I know it's not the workout, so it must be my diet. But I've been eating roughly 1300-1700 calories a day. Is this too much? Should I eat less? Should I keep eating the same and hope i don't gain more? My pants already don't fit as it is, and my leggings are tight now too. As a new wardrobe is expensive, I literally can't afford to gain any more. Any advice is appreciated!

Replies

• mxmkenney
    mxmkenney Posts: 486 Member
    Are you eating back your calories that you burn from exercising? Don't do that. I have done that in the past, and I didn't lose any weight when I ate my workout calories. Also, it has only been a week. Make sure you are not stressed out and get plenty of rest, especially if you are doing hard workouts. Stress and lack of sleep can thwart your efforts.

One more thing - you say you eat 1300 - 1700. If you are trying to lose weight, you may have to lower that. I am 5,10" and my goal is 1500 - that is what i am supposed to consume to lose 1 pound/week. I am guessing you should probably be around 1200-1300 for weight-loss at 5'2".
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    How did you calculate your calorie intake? Are you using MFP's calculations or did you use another site/system?

How accurately are you tracking? Are you using a food scale, measuring cups, or eyeballing portion sizes? It's possible you're eating more than you realize.

Another thing that's possible is that you're seeing some extra water weight from the exercise. Our bodies tend to flood sore muscles with extra fluid to help cushion and repair them. This gives the muscles a temporary "pumped" look, but should dissipate after a few weeks as your body gets used to the routine.
  • - When I'm sedentary, I'm supposed to maintain at 1400-1500. When active, I maintain at 1600-1700. I'm eating 1300 a day, but every other day I have a tendency to eat about 1500.

-I used to count every calorie and measure all my food, but it led to unhealthy habits. Now, knowing the calorie content of most foods, I eat a healthy diet and round foods up and down throughout the day. For example, an apple (80) would be (100); a wrap (270) would be (300). This way, if I am overestimating other foods, it balances out. I will not go back to counting single digits of calories ever again. For me, it's dangerous.

Thanks for your suggestions, though. It could be fluid retention, I guess. I've been drinking plenty of water.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    I've only been doing p90x for a week now. I've made some unhealthy dietary choices in the past out of desparation to lose weight, and (of course) they backfired. This time around, I want to lose it the healthy way. I am 5'2, and when I started a week ago, I was 104.5. Now, I'm 106.5. I know some of it could be muscle, but I've noticed that my inner thighs and love handlea have gotten bigger. These are my problem areas. I know it's not the workout, so it must be my diet. But I've been eating roughly 1300-1700 calories a day. Is this too much? Should I eat less? Should I keep eating the same and hope i don't gain more? My pants already don't fit as it is, and my leggings are tight now too. As a new wardrobe is expensive, I literally can't afford to gain any more. Any advice is appreciated!
    A little weight gain on the scale when starting a new exercise program is totally normal. Your muscles retain water to help repair themselves. It's not muscle gain - not in a week, and not at a calorie deficit. It takes a calorie surplus, time, and heavy lifting to gain muscle. But it's not fat gain either - just water weight, so don't let it get you down.

I would not adjust your calorie goals just yet - it's too soon to tell. You need a good 4-6 weeks to know for sure if it's too much. Your body is adjusting to new exercise and a new calorie intake, so give it time.

As far as eating back exercise cals - if you entered your info into MFP accurately and realistically at set up, then yes you should be eating at least a good portion of those exercise calories back - that's how MFP works. Your daily calorie goal already has you at a deficit, meaning eat all your calories every day, do zero exercise, and you'll lose weight. Exercising and burning off even more calories leaves with a huge deficit, and the equivalent of eating super low cals, which it sounds like you've done in the past and realize it's not a good idea. :tongue: Food is fuel! Don't sell yourself short by undereating and overtraining - leads to problems in the long run.

Eat your calories, drink water, exercise, take rest days, get good sleep, and have patience. Good luck! :smile:
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    - When I'm sedentary, I'm supposed to maintain at 1400-1500. When active, I maintain at 1600-1700. I'm eating 1300 a day, but every other day I have a tendency to eat about 1500.

-I used to count every calorie and measure all my food, but it led to unhealthy habits. Now, knowing the calorie content of most foods, I eat a healthy diet and round foods up and down throughout the day. For example, an apple (80) would be (100); a wrap (270) would be (300). This way, if I am overestimating other foods, it balances out. I will not go back to counting single digits of calories ever again. For me, it's dangerous.

Thanks for your suggestions, though. It could be fluid retention, I guess. I've been drinking plenty of water.

I can completely understand not wanting to count too closely if you've had issues in the past. I agree with AmyRhubarb above that it's too early to change anything. Keep it up and your body should catch up with your brain soon enough.
  • hearthemelody
    hearthemelody Posts: 1,025 Member
    Am I the only one wondering if your goal weight is a little low?
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Am I the only one wondering if your goal weight is a little low?

Good catch! OP, you're bordering on being underweight if you lose any more. You may want to think more about body recomposition - losing fat and maintaining muscle instead of trying to achievea specific weight. What you actually weigh on the scale may not matter about the actual look you're trying to achieve.

As an example of what I mean - see link below. You don't necessarily have to go paleo or powerlift, the point is, the scale is not the be-all-end-all. You can look fantastic even 25 pounds heavier than you are. It's about health and fitness, not just getting skinny.

http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/
  • Sorry, I should clarify that when I say 95, it's like an estimate without muscle gain. Believe me, if I'm 110 and fit I'll be content!
  • hearthemelody
    hearthemelody Posts: 1,025 Member
    Sorry, I should clarify that when I say 95, it's like an estimate without muscle gain. Believe me, if I'm 110 and fit I'll be content!

You may want to consider strength training, though I am still concerned that your goal is really really low.

Have you read about strength training at all?
  • mumblemagic
    mumblemagic Posts: 1,090 Member
    I'd say leave it for a bit and see how it settles out after a few weeks, i.e. don't cut your calories, drink plenty of water, keep going with the exercise.

A healthy weight for you would be minimum 100 lbs up to 135 lbs. I'd aim for 110 and do some toning - maybe try some pilates type stuff which tones without bulking and doesn't burn too many calories?
  • oneloopygirl
    oneloopygirl Posts: 151 Member
    Sorry, I should clarify that when I say 95, it's like an estimate without muscle gain. Believe me, if I'm 110 and fit I'll be content!

You may want to consider strength training, though I am still concerned that your goal is really really low.

Have you read about strength training at all?

I agree that's a low weight goal. At 95 pounds and being 5'2", that will be a BMI in the underweight range. At the current 106.5 pounds, it's already on the low end of normal.

I agree completely that strength training and exercise and weight maintenance are good ideas. Build muscle, get tone and definition, rather than go to a weight that really isn't healthy at all.