If you are starting/doing P90X & not getting results READ T

Options
It could be that you are consuming to many calories. I completed P90x & got great results but only lost 12 lbs. Invest in a Heart Rate Monitor with a calorie burn counter to track how many calories you burn. They anticipate that you will burn 600 per workout and so have you consume atleast 2000 cals! I just completed a leg & back workout with my new HRM and only burned 208 cals!
Just a word to the wise....

BTW not slamming P90x it changed my life. I just wish I owned an HRM from the beginning :wink:

Replies

• jamie31
    jamie31 Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    Same thing with me. I only burn about 200-225 cals in p90x. I have had a HRM the whole time though so I havent overeaten. I also supplement p90x with a lot of cardio
  • p90xokc
    Options
    WOW...when I did p90x i burned anywhere from 700 to 1,100 calories per workout.
  • Dtrmnd1
    Dtrmnd1 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    WOW...when I did p90x i burned anywhere from 700 to 1,100 calories per workout.

That's Amazing! I wonder what the big difference is??
  • Dtrmnd1
    Dtrmnd1 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Same thing with me. I only burn about 200-225 cals in p90x. I have had a HRM the whole time though so I havent overeaten. I also supplement p90x with a lot of cardio

Smart, Smart woman :wink:
  • Families_R_Forever
    Options
    Thanks for sharing. I have not done this yet, I am doing CLX first from beachbody. I know it is less intense, but I wanted to slowly work into it.
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Options
    Regarding p90xokc's comment, it's possible that he burned 700+ calories ONLY if he was/is a 300+ lb man. The infomercial for Turbo Jam for example says you'll burn up to 600 calories an hour but again, that’s for 60 minutes (all the workouts in the regular package are max 40 min) and its assuming a much higher average weight than people actually are when starting any type of beachbody program just to make the program sound better. For the ladies especially under 150 lbs yea, it won’t burn much more than 250.

Even Turbo Jam which is more cardio based than P90X or CE I only burn 250 calories max in 40 min as per my HRM, MFP says I burn like 380 which is incorrect. I am 5'8 137lbs.

You should also be building muscle doing p90X so it won’t be a big weight drop but more so a body transformation with regards to body fat percentage and toning.
  • heathersmilez
    Options
    Thanks for sharing. I have not done this yet, I am doing CLX first from beachbody. I know it is less intense, but I wanted to slowly work into it.

It's actually not, that’s just the perspective b/c it’s a woman running the program, you think she’ll go easy on you ;) You'll get good results, don't you worry! Do the workout you love the most and you'll get the best results whether it’s because you love the instructor or the music/choreography or both!

I've been doing Turbo Jam for 4 years b/c I love Chalene. I tried 30 Day shred and Jillian Michaels is just such a boring and negative human being (plus her routine is boring with old-school injury prone moves along with bad music and not much effort put into choreography) I chose not to do that program. Others like it b/c they don’t like the positive upbeat personality Chalene has they want someone yelling at them in order to push them. It’s whatever works for you!

Best of luck!!!
  • heathersmilez
    Options

OBVIOUSLY (with the cardio supplementing) 134 lbs lost? WOW! Congrats!
  • tgh1914
    tgh1914 Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    Agree 100%

I didn't get my hrm until Phase 3 and learned that I'd been burning only about 250 per workout & about 75 cals for Ab Ripper. So I dropped my caloric intake by a few hundred and it's making a difference. Just wished I'd found that out much sooner.

I've also learned I burn more calories on a good 35-40 minute run than in Kenpo or Yoga, so I substitute that (once in a while).