How many Carbs in Red wine?

Most sites are more or less aligned on the number of calories in a 125ml glass of red wine in the range of 85 to 110. But carbs seem to be all over the shop. Some such as My Fitness Pal say they are negligable - around 0.1g but most have it at 3g to 5g. They can't both be right. Anyone know what number to use if counting calories?

Replies

• ajoneill1
    ajoneill1 Posts: 1 Member
    I stuck in 2 glass at 125 ml red wine today and it blew my carbs out of the park. My fitness pal is not calculating properly here
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 33,783 Member
    ajoneill1 wrote: »
    I stuck in 2 glass at 125 ml red wine today and it blew my carbs out of the park. My fitness pal is not calculating properly here

The database is crowd-sourced. Some people enter accurate information, others don't. Unfortunately, that's just how it is: Crowd sourced database means most foods will already have been added, but also means that many entries will be incorrect.

For wine in particular, some people enter carb grams to account for the calories. But most of the calories in red wine are from alcohol (which has 7 calories per gram), not from carbs (or protein, or fats). Some red wines do have residual sugar, and will have some carb content. Usually, it's fairly little, maybe in the range of 3.5-5g carbs per 5 fluid ounce (roughly 148ml) serving. (There are probably web sites that give the values in ml, but I'm in a country that looks at wine servings in fluid ounces.) Carb content tends to vary by wine variety, though individual years or brands of the same varietal will also differ somewhat, so it's all estimates.

If you want a more accurate carb number for your red wine, find an accurate entry in the database and log that, or create your own entry.

There are various web page
  • Strudders67
    Strudders67 Posts: 989 Member
    I use an entry that says "Generic - Wine, red Malbec" that gives me 3 carbs per 125ml; however, a quick search, just of Malbec, quickly showed a couple of entries that have calories but no other values. As Ann says, much of the database is user entered and, unfortunately, some people just enter the values that are important to them - I see them same thing with food stuffs that don't have the carbs or sugar or fibre, presumably because whoever added that entry is only tracking their calories and fat intake, for example.

Think of a number, find an entry that corresponds and use it each time you have a glass of red wine. It won't be perfect, but it's better than recording nothing.
  • SafariGalNYC
    SafariGalNYC Posts: 1,313 Member
    edited August 27
    Average - 5 grams per 5oz
  • tomcustombuilder
    tomcustombuilder Posts: 2,133 Member
    3-5 in a glass of 5.5 oz so hardly worth worrying about unless you’re that carbphobic. I’d worry more about the calories.