Pregnancy, losing weight ... ???

Options
Hi there

I'm 8 weeks pregnant and I just lost 3 kgs out of no where. Ok, not exactly out of no where since I can't seem to be able to keep anything down for long and can only eat small amounts of food (by small amounts I mean smaller portions than what my 4 year old sister eats).
I always used to cut down on carbs (I have PCOS) but now I've been eating them (baked potatoes, wholemeal bread, some pasta with vegetables) because for some reason it's the only thing my body can tolerate right now. I was actually surprised to be losing weight because I'm eating more carbs than before and it's sort of a big NO for people with PCOS.
I'm very confused but I'm only going to see the midwife at 12 weeks and I'm kinda worried because I'm not sure if my baby is getting everything he needs.
xx

Replies

• HaggisWhisperer
    HaggisWhisperer Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    The baby generally takes priority over Mum when it comes to nutrients so I really wouldn't worry unless you are staring from a low weight to begin with. Try to keep sipping on water (maybe with a couple of slices of fresh ginger in it) to keep your hydration up. When I was pregnant my midwife said it is not uncommon to lose weight during the first trimester - I lost quite a bit during the first trimester of my first pregnancy - I had 24 hour/7 days a week nausea (but very little throwing up) and like you there was very little food that I could contemplate eating. I also went completely off chocolate for the duration of both my pregnancies - shame that effect didn't last. If you are worried you should telephone your midwife or doctor for advice?