Great North Run - Newbie Runner

Options
Hi

So me and a friend have decided to take part in the Great North Run in September... I'm relativley "new" to running (currently doing C25k) but my fitness isn't that bad (I go to the gym, do Insanity & T25 workouts).

Does anyone have any tips? I'm pretty nervous/excited! What would be a respectable time to finish the race in (bearing in mind it is my first half marathon).

Thanks for any advice!!

Replies

• lynnk1971
    lynnk1971 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    1st tip ... have a gait test done and get running shoes that suit your gait! ! did the great north run a couple of years ago and i found this tip invaluable!!

Good Luck and enjoy .. its a fabulous event!!
  • missdaisy79
    missdaisy79 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    Two words for you - Hal Higdon. He has some of the best training advice for novice runners I've seen. I wish I had followed his training when I did the Birmingham half marathon last year, but I will be following it for the Stratford upon Avon half in 12 weeks time! I'm aiming for 2.5 hours.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    Hi

So me and a friend have decided to take part in the Great North Run in September... I'm relativley "new" to running (currently doing C25k) but my fitness isn't that bad (I go to the gym, do Insanity & T25 workouts).

Does anyone have any tips? I'm pretty nervous/excited! What would be a respectable time to finish the race in (bearing in mind it is my first half marathon).

Thanks for any advice!!

My tip for your first HM is to not get hung up on a finishing time. Give it your best effort because you're going to set a respectable benchmark either way! Your goal as a newish runner should be to progress gradually without injuring yourself.
  • pandacookie70
    Options
    Hello,

I was one of the lucky ones in the ballot. It sounded a good idea at the time. Still I've got six moths to look forward to it. My aim is just to finish the thing. I've got as far as thinking about my 3 hour playlist. Or is that a bit too optimistic? On a more serious note there is a Pier to Pier run in Sunderland in May that I may think about doing. It'll at least tell me how my fitness is doing.
  • freya33
    freya33 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Hi I also have a ballot place. Not sure why I entered... I have seen it on TV so many times and thought I must do it. So I entered the ballot but thought so oversubscribed not a chance ( I hoped!) but I could say I tried. BUT I got a place.
    I am 66, overweight and not fit. I used to run a bit but cold, wet and dark do not do it for me so have not been out for ages.
    However it is getting lighter and a bit warmer so I must get going.
    It is good to find a thread fort this. Any words of encouragement would be welcome.
    I have told enough people that I cannot chicken out I have to do it and now need to start setting goals. and get my trainers ON!!!!
  • GillianMcK
    GillianMcK Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    I managed to get through the ballot and I'm doing The Great North Run as well (maybe see you there, I'll be at the back)

I'm currently doing my marathon training (Edinburgh Marathon) but wish that I had done a couple of half marathons first just so I would have an idea of what time I was doing it in and maybe set some of my doubts to rest.

Defo go to a running shop and get proper running shoes that suit your gait (it makes a huge difference), good run bra is also essential!!!

Get running outside, there's a huge difference between running on a treadmill and running on tarmac.

Run a tracking app in the background of your C25K app (or ditch the C25K app and start the C210K app and start on the week you've got to with the 5k app), it will give you an idea of your average pace on the shorter runs (add in fade for upping from 3.1miles to 13.1miles), I use Map My Run, I also have a spreadsheet which tracks my miles, total time, average pace and splits, I've found it really helps me if I think I'ev had a bad run, I compare it to similar distances on similar terrain and find out it's not the disaster I though it was (last Tuesday i done a 10k and was really unhappy with it until I compared to the previous Tuesday and it turned out I was actually 3min faster (and had had an arguement with the dog when he had a sit down protest at 4.2miles, he's a 52kg ridgeback to dragging him not really an option) and approx 30secs a mile faster).

I don't focus on the time it takes, it doesn't matter if it's an 8min mile or an 18min mile, it's still a mile.

Start at the back of the pack (getting caught up with the fast runners and you'll be knackered 1mile in), pick a pace, smile and keep going.

It's a big race and there will be lots of spectators out cheering which will help carry you along.
  • GillianMcK
    GillianMcK Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    Check this forum post, it's really good and covers pretty much every newbie mistake you could make

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1217573-so-you-want-to-start-running