Fruit and insulin resistance

Hi!

I have PCOS and have been diagnosed for years (when I was 14, 26 now). It doesn't particularly bother me as I manage to maintain my weight (I'd like to be slimmer but wouldn't we all) and I don't suffer with many problems such as spots, hair growth etc.

I was on Metformin for years but it made me terribly ill. When I came off it I lost weight, so go figure.

Anyway, recently I have been upping my fruit intake to stave off boredom at work. Not much; just an apple and a banana and sometimes one of those little Graze boxes (they consist of dried fruits and seeds).

I've recently noticed these weird brown marks which always flare up when I'm not managing my diet have come back. I haven't had them for years so I'm annoyed to say the least.

Aside from fruit, my (very healthy!) diet has changed in no way. So my question is: are fruits not recommend for insulin resistant people? I don't have much sugar from other places; I'll treat myself to the occasional biscuit, but I prefer savoury foods and I always eat brown/whole grain when I have carbs.

Can anyone shed any light on this? Also, what is the recommended allowance of sugar per serving? I've read online around 4.8 - 6 g for someone who is watching their sugar.

Replies

• yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    fruit has sugars (and starch in banana) and they're carbohydrates like any other. PCOS responds well to reduced carbohydrates.

A banana at 20% + and apple at 10% maybe weren't the ideal things to start with - berries are much lower eg raspberry.