Help: exercise causing weight gain

EpiGaiaRepens
EpiGaiaRepens Posts: 824 Member
edited September 21 in Fitness and Exercise
Ok! Before you tell me "muscle weighs more than fat" please hear me out!

I started my "journey" in December at 174 lbs and got down to 142 in July...most of this without any sort of exercise regimine other than loving life as much as possible. I lingered around 142-145 for most of July and had the brilliant idea to start training for a marathon (which is in the end of november). I'm generally an active girl- I like dancing, surfing, sailing, rockclimbing, hiking, etc. etc. And I have run in the past too, but this marathon training schedule is intense. It's 4 days a week and it's always going up. Right now, my short runs are 40 mins and my long run is going to be 10 mins shy of 2 hours as of tomorrow (for me, this is HUGE- my longest run ever was 13 miles).

The problem- I expected this would help me lose that last rough 10 lbs (I want to be 135), but instead the scale is climbing and pushing 150 now. I know muscle weighs more, but I think it is a function of food. See, I'm hungry all the time now. I know it's ok to eat my exercise calories, but even on days when I miss my run, I'm famished like I ran an Ironman! I'm staritng to think cardio isn't really all that good for me in this endeavor.

Has anyone else had this experience? And how do I deal with it?

I get so hungry I feel like I'm gonna faint....and then at the end of the day, I'm way over the 1200 net I'm supposed to have. At least before I started training, I could control my eating without feeling like I was gonna die. HELP!!!!!

Replies

• erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,294 Member
    Not sure what it is, could be excess water retention to help repair muscles from running. It is def not muscle, how many muscular long distance runners do you see? Long distance running if anything may actually burn some muscle off, especially for marathoners.

Are you eating your exercise calories? You may want to start if not as a 2 hour run can easily burn over 1000 calories and to be at 1200 net you would have to eat 2200. You can also try changing your goal to lose 1 lb per week, that way you will have more food to fuel your training (which is needed for long distance runners)
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    Why do you think that 1200 net is what you're supposed to have?
  • Natural
    Natural Posts: 461 Member
    i don't know, but i feel you on being hungry. when i work out a lot i want to eat bakeries. you said you do cardio, do you do any weight training. muscle also burns off fat.

i don't really have a clue though why your weight would increase other than it being muscle. do you know what your body fat or muscle mass is?

is it (135) how much you want to weight or is the weight uncomfortable.
  • alanmonks
    alanmonks Posts: 115 Member
    hi there. with regards to the food and hunger, the reason for this is prob due to the fact that you are upping your training so your body is asking you for more. Try to many foods that will help with you with your recovery, anything that is carbohydrate and protein. You need to look at foods that are low GI which will release energy slow into your body and make you feel fuller for longer, teh classic example is porridge.

If you feel you are gaining weight, take measurements of yourself, as you have said, muscle weighs more that fat so even though you might be getting a bit heavier, you may be shrinking as your becoming more toned.

good luck with the training, I am an asprining marathoner as well, but many weeks behind your training schedule. Keep it up and dont lose heart with teh weighing scales.
  • knittygirl52
    knittygirl52 Posts: 432 Member
    I think your comment about it being a function of food says it all. Obviously nobody wants to go around feeling hungry all the time. Can I suggest a few questions to ask yourself?

1. Is it TRULY hunger, or is it desire? That's a hard question to answer, but one of the ways I tell is whether I feel "hungry" in my stomach or my mouth/throat. The first may be hunger--if it has been several hours since I ate. The second is almost certainly desire.

2. Take a look at your food diary. Are you eating more calorie-dense foods now than you were in your active weight-loss days? Do you, perhaps, need to swap some vegetables for some of your starches or proteins?

3. Do you eat slowly or quickly? I know it's trite, but it's true--if you eat slowly and mindfully, you are satisfied with less than if you bolt it down.

4. I don't know how tall you are, how old your are, or what your bone structure is. Is 130 (or maybe even 142) an unrealistic life-long weight for you? I LOVED how I looked at age 20 and weight 110. But now I'm older and I know I could never maintain that. (Actually, I couldn't maintain it then--that's why I'm here.)

5. Are you getting enough rest in all this training? Being fatigued (and certainly all that training is fatiguing!) also makes you hungry.

Well, there are my thoughts, for what they are worth. I hope you get some good ideas from one of us. Hang in there.
  • amyfly
    amyfly Posts: 137
    What about your measurements? are they going up too? I agree with the earlier reply about not getting enough calories - have you changed your profile to reflect all the exercising you do now? They may recommend more calories - if you aren't getting enough and running that much your body may be trying to store fat instead of burn it. You should always eat when you are truly hungry - even if your starved on days you don't workout - the body doesn't exactly go by the same 24hr clock we do and it may still be recovering/refueling from your workout the day before. These are just a few thoughts, hope something helps - and good luck in the marathon!
  • nopeekiepeekie
    nopeekiepeekie Posts: 338 Member
    Excellent article from Chalene Johnson about gaining weight after a new workout routine has begun
    http://www.dailyspark.com/blog.asp?post=why_the_scale_goes_up_when_you_start_a_new_workout_plan
  • I had the same exact problem.

I was eating right and losing weight just fine....then I started walking on the treadmill every other day and doing strenghth training...and bam.....no weight loss.

It was the weirdest thing!
  • gazannett
    gazannett Posts: 3 Member
    HI,

Firsly im not an expert on running or neutrition but i can give you my experience of what happened to me.
    I weighed nearly 19 stone in 2007 and started to diet with excersise ,and my only source of excercise was running.
    In march 2008 i ran my first half marathon at a weight of 12 stone, my ideal weight was 11stone 2lb and found it like you really hard to loose those last few pounds.

I joined runners world uk and asked the question your asking ( or close too ) and the answers that i received were that firstly i had reached a plateau in my running.
    This basically meant that my body was so used to my running habits that it found it hard to use up excess fat and calories and my body just stored them.
    They advised me to change my habits to confuse my body, i.e running up inclines harder and pushing myself harder,also to mix my running with other aerobic excercises such as sit ups and press ups , so the unused muscle would start to use the fat and calories stored.
    Firstly i thought i would bulk up and gain weight , which i did in the first couple of months but my body started to react and hey presto i started to loose weight again.

I also felt as hungry as a horse, so what i did was increased my intake and increased my excercise.

I hope you reach your goal and hope that any of this is helpfull.
    Let me know how you get on.

Gary
  • EpiGaiaRepens
    Thanks everyone! I have a lot to think about...and some responses to questions:

Why i shoot for a net of 1200: Because that is what MFP program told me when I plugged in all my information.

Do I lift weights? No. I do yoga, push ups, chin ups, rock climb...I use my body as my weight training. My mission in life is to live life outside of a gym :)

And someone suggested that my body is used to my training schedule....I suppose it's possilble, but I feel like that is unlikely because running 2 hours is so not normal for me. When I'm not in "training" mode, I'll go on the occassional 20 to 30 minute run just to work out the kinks. And the running I have to do goes up every week.

I'm also wondering if anyone out there has done a marathon successfully and then afterwards cut back on the running. I don't want to be a marathon runner so much as I want to complete one marathon (and hit 135!).

OH yeah, someone asked if 135 was a realistic goal for me.... I think so. I was never "skinny" in my young years....but at my height (5'4") I should be able to weigh 135 without it being a huge deal. The lowest I got with MFP was 142....now I"m almost 150.

I agree with people who mentioned the type of food i'm eating. I'm eating more carbs than I used to, and more wheat. I think I need to re-evaluate the types of food I'm eating again....go back to more simple stuff. I'm going to try this first and see if it helps!

Thanks ! And i'm still all ears for any other suggestions!
  • EpiGaiaRepens
    also. yes, I eat my exercise calories. I relish everyone single one of them!
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    also. yes, I eat my exercise calories. I relish everyone single one of them!

If you're not using a HRM or Bodybugg type device, I would recommend you hold back and only eat 50-75% of exercise calories - MFP tends to be pretty high in its estimates. On short sessions (30-45 min) I've had MFP overestimate by 100 or even 200 calories burned pretty frequently, compared to my Bodybugg. If you're workout regularly and eating all of the overestimated exercise calories, that could really add up. Just an idea.
  • rubysparkle
    rubysparkle Posts: 362 Member
    i know you said you're eating all your calories but are you eating the right foods? if you're training like an athlete are you eating like one too? :)
  • qifitness
    qifitness Posts: 49 Member
    Firstly, muscle does NOT weigh more than fat. This is the biggest and daftest of all fitness myths.

1lb muscle = 1lb fat = 1lb muscle. They weigh exactly the same.
    1kg fat = 1kg muscle = 1kg fat. They weigh exactly the same.

If your exercise routine consists mostly (if not all) running, that won't cause significant (if any) muscle gain.
    Therefore, your recent gains won't be from gaining muscle.

Another point to be aware of is that although we can set targets to work towards and motivate us, with 'weight' loss regimes, we are tampering with our bodies' natural ability to regulate itself (homeostasis). Consequently, we can't simply choose a new lower weight and expect that it's realistic. Plateauing will eventually occur as our bodies 'settle down' to their natural weight.

I've trained a few hundred women who were on weight loss regimes and probably around 95% wanted to weigh '9 stones'(UK weight) equivalent to 126lbs (US). ALL of them wanted to weigh less than 10stones (140lb). This was regardless of height, build, age, lifestyle, health history etc.

Sadly, their targets were quite unrealistic. Most found this too hard to accept, and these eventually went back on the yo-yo cycle of gain/loss/gain/loss etc.

Sorry if this might not be what you were hoping to hear, but setting realistic targets is better in the long term. From what you say, a review of your diet might be the next approach.
  • TrainingWithTonya
    TrainingWithTonya Posts: 1,741 Member
    First of all, don't stress. Second of all, you have to maintain your carbs in order to have the energy to run for two hours, because it is pretty high intensity for that long duration. Physiologically, your body is responding to the additional training by storing more glycogen so you can have it for fuel for longer before going into fat stores. This is why marathon runners carb load the week before their event. You HAVE to have those extra carbs! When you store glycogen, you store it in water. Therefore, you are going to gain a few pounds because of the added water being stored in your muscle cells to be able to store the extra muscle glycogen. This is normal for endurance athletes. It shows that your body is properly responding to the training. So, keep up what you are doing and don't worry about weight until after your marathon. After the marathon you can cut down the intensity of your runs to more of a jog and you'll switch back to burning more stored body fat and won't need the extra carbs.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,294 Member
    Firstly, muscle does NOT weigh more than fat. This is the biggest and daftest of all fitness myths.

Actually muscle does weigh more than fat, when people say this they are comparing volume of fat to muscle the the weights of equal volume, why do people have a hard time grasping that?? a square foot of muscle weighs much more than a square foot of fat. This is what people mean when they say muscle weighs more than fat. You are arguing semantics instead of what the poster is intending to say.
  • alantin
    alantin Posts: 621 Member
    Excellent article from Chalene Johnson about gaining weight after a new workout routine has begun
    http://www.dailyspark.com/blog.asp?post=why_the_scale_goes_up_when_you_start_a_new_workout_plan

Whoa!
    Thanks!
    Excellent read!
    I had been wondering this! I started my martial arts training again after 3 weeks of rest due to a cold and gained 6 pounds almost over night! It is a familiar phenomenon but it's great to have it explained! :drinker:
  • qifitness

Actually muscle does weigh more than fat, when people say this they are comparing volume of fat to muscle the the weights of equal volume, why do people have a hard time grasping that?? a square foot of muscle weighs much more than a square foot of fat. This is what people mean when they say muscle weighs more than fat. You are arguing semantics instead of what the poster is intending to say.

Humans weight isn't assessed by volume.

Bathroom scales don't measure people by any kind of 'cubic' measurement or 'volume'.
    They don't measure by 'cubic feet' or anything else 'cubic'.

During 'weight loss' regimes, peoploe can only assess themselves by 'weight'.

So the 'semantics' are irrelevant.

People are simply mislead by the notion that if they are working out and not losing weight it must simply be down to the (myth) that 'muscle weighs more than fat'.

The only condition under which it does is through a body composition measurement known as 'hydrostatic weighing' (hydrodensitometry). This process is based on the fact that individuals with a higher proportion of muscle tissue appear to weigh more when in water, due to displacement.

The argument about 'cubic feet' of muscle/fat is therefore totally irrelevant when it comes to ordinary people using bathroom scales during a 'weight loss' regime.
  • EpiGaiaRepens
    On the whole "muscle weighs more than fat" thing...it *is* about volume. It's a colloquialism to say that you can be a size 8 and all muscle or be a size 12 and all fat and weigh exactly the same. I'm shooting for being smaller and more muscle. On that note, I did put on weight, but have noticed that all my clothes still fit comfortably (I have lost my tape measure!). So i'm going with the water retention theory...for now.

Qfitness, I agree that the scale isn't the end all be all of whether I am doing good or not...it's a tool, like anything else. And I agree that many women have unrealistic goals...I just don't happen to be one of them. I understand why someone would feel it's so important to push that- I see posters here on MFP who look too thin already talking about wanting to lose more weight. I know my body, I know myself. I know that I am exceptionally healthy anywhere between 135 and 145. Above 145, I am either retaining water or I'm putting on fat (or muscle, I suppose but that's never been the case with me). Under 135, and I'm not eating enough. ....if I were to use a BMI calculator, based on my heigh (5'4") I should have a goal more like 125-135....so I think my goals are realistic and healthy and considering I was 142 a month ago, not out of the realm of possibility at all. Which is exactly the problem- I was in my goal when I started running (honestly thinking it might kick off a few more pounds) and instead the scale goes up.

Also, just because I"m training for a marathon doesn't mean I do no weight training. I believe I already said (or maybe I didn't) that I do weight training using my body- ex. chin ups, push ups, lunges, yoga, corde-lisse and other such things. My arms are hella buffer than they were this time last year :)

I agree that my diet needs to change. I think there's more to the story than just calories. 1200 calories of veggies and fruit and brown rice is gonna be different than 1200 calories of doritos and pepsi. Not that I've been eating doritos and pepsi, but I do think I've started eating moret things that are processed and I think this might be a source of the problem (and drinking waaaaay more coffee than water ;)
  • qifitness
    On the whole "muscle weighs more than fat" thing...it *is* about volume. It's a colloquialism to say that you can be a size 8 and all muscle or be a size 12 and all fat and weigh exactly the same. I'm shooting for being smaller and more muscle. On that note, I did put on weight, but have noticed that all my clothes still fit comfortably (I have lost my tape measure!). So i'm going with the water retention theory...for now.

Qfitness, I agree that the scale isn't the end all be all of whether I am doing good or not...it's a tool, like anything else. And I agree that many women have unrealistic goals...I just don't happen to be one of them. I understand why someone would feel it's so important to push that- I see posters here on MFP who look too thin already talking about wanting to lose more weight. I know my body, I know myself. I know that I am exceptionally healthy anywhere between 135 and 145. Above 145, I am either retaining water or I'm putting on fat (or muscle, I suppose but that's never been the case with me). Under 135, and I'm not eating enough. ....if I were to use a BMI calculator, based on my heigh (5'4") I should have a goal more like 125-135....so I think my goals are realistic and healthy and considering I was 142 a month ago, not out of the realm of possibility at all. Which is exactly the problem- I was in my goal when I started running (honestly thinking it might kick off a few more pounds) and instead the scale goes up.

Also, just because I"m training for a marathon doesn't mean I do no weight training. I believe I already said (or maybe I didn't) that I do weight training using my body- ex. chin ups, push ups, lunges, yoga, corde-lisse and other such things. My arms are hella buffer than they were this time last year :)

I agree that my diet needs to change. I think there's more to the story than just calories. 1200 calories of veggies and fruit and brown rice is gonna be different than 1200 calories of doritos and pepsi. Not that I've been eating doritos and pepsi, but I do think I've started eating moret things that are processed and I think this might be a source of the problem (and drinking waaaaay more coffee than water ;)
This discussion has been closed.