Do you support your local music scene?

Options
lexcoulstring
lexcoulstring Posts: 386 Member
So being a musician and knowing a gallizion more. Our biggest challenge these days is to get people out to shows. Whether its at a local bar, pub, festival or any other event.

We realize that the internet has greatly changed the way people spend their free time.
I been playing live for almost 18 years and I have seen a big change since I was in my late teens to now in my 30's

What is your thoughts. Do you go out to see live bands (local) at various establishments. If not, what would be your number 1 reason why.

I'm always seeking better ways to get the audience we once had and it would be good to get some real awesome input from my friends at MFP :)

Replies

• contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    The type of music you typically see from local bands here is not to my liking, so I would have to say no. In fact, the type of music you typically see from American bands is not to my liking...
  • sewerchick93
    sewerchick93 Posts: 1,440 Member
    Options
    many of my friends are local musicians, so I'm always out supporting them. It seems the biggest issue for musicians in my area is finding a venue to play at, the quantity of establishments that offer live music is dwindling rapidly :(
  • GlitterrMagpie
    GlitterrMagpie Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    My hubby's in a band himself so whenever he has a gigless weekend night we always go to one of our local pubs to watch whichever band is on. When we go on holiday the first thing we do is find the live music scene.
  • michellemybelll
    michellemybelll Posts: 2,228 Member
    Options
    for sure, when the opportunity presents itself, and if i dig the music. i'm not going to support crap music though.
  • Sinisterly
    Sinisterly Posts: 10,913 Member
    Options
    Yes, I even support local comedians! :flowerforyou:
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    I did in my youth but that whole scene just doesn't fit into my life anymore. There's a slight chance I might go to a show in April as my high school classmate (who is a phenomenal drummer) is having a reunion show with 3 local bands. We'll see...
  • OllyReeves
    OllyReeves Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    The type of music you typically see from local bands here is not to my liking, so I would have to say no. In fact, the type of music you typically see from American bands is not to my liking...

What type of music do you typically see from 'American Bands' Just out of interest?

I am a musician and have lots of friends that are too, and I do support local music, I act too and getting people out to the theatre is just as hard in my experience. Sadly, the internet, and the availability of just about anything you want online is only making it harder.

A lot of people don't seem to realise how different it is seeing things live...
  • logicman69
    logicman69 Posts: 1,034 Member
    Options
    I would love to say I do, but sadly this would be a lie. For me there are a couple reasons. First is I play in a busy working band. I gig most weekends so having a weekend off is rare. On those weekends off, I like to spend some time with the family. The second is the economy. Its tough to make ends meet now a days. And going out most night is just not in the budget. It sucks because I would love to support all the great acts that this state has to offer. There is some great talent out there.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I support all the local bands if they support our local NORML chapter. Otherwise, screm 'em!
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    I used to very actively support local music! At this time, the reasons I do not support it more are:

Most of it is not music that appeals to me. I like electronic/techno, 80s new wave, ska, some k-pop and SOME indie. In my area most of the local bands tend toward country, metal, bluegrass, really mellow indie that does nothing for me...or punk/rockabilly.

If it's music that does appeal to me, then I am generally too old or not in the right "clique" for the shows. At 37 I don't really like the feeling of hanging out with teens and 20-somethings who are all clearly best friends w/ each other. I might consider some of the punk/rockabilly stuff but it would mean seeing everyone I went to high school with and most of the guys I dated in the 90s.

Also, when I've gone to some of the jam band/bluegrass shows with friends (just for something to do) I've felt totally embarrassed by all of the 30-50 yr old moms out there screaming for the band like groupies. I absolutely cringed. Those are just random slightly younger guys who live and work near us!! Either meet & date one of them or sit your cougar *kitten* down! ;-)

Perhaps part of the problem here is living in a small city.
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options

What type of music do you typically see from 'American Bands' Just out of interest?

I am a musician and have lots of friends that are too, and I do support local music, I act too and getting people out to the theatre is just as hard in my experience. Sadly, the internet, and the availability of just about anything you want online is only making it harder.

A lot of people don't seem to realise how different it is seeing things live...

Operatic and multi-layered rock/metal genres which prioritize music over lyrics/vocals. I have a very vivid imagination and, in my personal opinion, when you prioritize lyrics over music, you are effectively dumbing the music down for the sake of appealing to people with imaginations that aren't as vivid. Most of my favorite songs make me think of things that there are no words to describe and it's entirely because of the melodies, instrumental harmonies, etc...

One of my favorite songs is a 30 minute long song by a Japanese rock/metal band whose vocalist has an accent so thick you can't make out a word he's saying. And I wouldn't have it any other way.
  • lexcoulstring
    lexcoulstring Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    Wow. Awesome to hear all the comments. And to see other musicians here too :)
  • WJZR
    WJZR Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I support local music. I am a musician myself. I play the Scottish smallpipes. I used to have a band, Aberdeen. (Celtic music).
    I enjoy many types of music, but not very loud heavy metal. I have friends in various groups, I play many open mics, then " follow" the musicians I meet at their performances. I am 62 and have bee "piping" about 14 years.

For years I avidly followed 7 Nations, Hadrians Wall, Blackthorn, Maggie Spike, and other young up and coming Celtic groups, as well as 6x9 and Stone Soup ( local rock). We have some very talented lady singers in my area. But, due to raising grandson, I don't get out a much as I used to.....we can't take him in bars at night.
  • Zomoniac
    Zomoniac Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    Here in the UK the scene is awful. There are far, far more bands than there are venues to accommodate them, but nobody ever watching them. Getting a gig is nigh on impossible just because of the demand, but despite that live music venues are being shut down all over the place because most shows take place in front of three people. Of everyone I know, including a lot of musicians and a lot of self-proclaimed "music lovers", I'm the only person I know that would go to watch an unsigned band that I'd not heard of out of choice. It's tragic. I'll check out as much as I can, and always buy CDs and merchandise of anyone I think is good, but it seems to be a crusade I'm running alone.
  • kelleygi
    kelleygi Posts: 650 Member
    Options
    I live in Athens, Georgia and supporting our local musicians is a HUGE thing here!!!! Instead of my husband and I's "date night" being a movie and dinner, we are downtown catching a concert. Athens ROCKS!!!!!!!!!!!! :flowerforyou: :smokin: :drinker:
  • KombuchaCat
    KombuchaCat Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    When I was younger and lived very close to a large city I was really into the local music scene. My husband worked in the indie music business in NYC for a while in the mid-late nineties. Now that we're older and live further away from a large city it's much more difficult. Local bands in our area are mostly cover bands or just not very creative. Most of the shows we would like to see in the large city we live near are during the week and it's hard the next day, even without drinking which we usually don't do anymore at shows. It has to be something we really want to see to get us to drive 45-min to an hour each way to see a band on a weeknight. Since we're not really in the scene anymore we just don't know what local bands are good sometimes.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    When I was younger and lived very close to a large city I was really into the local music scene. My husband worked in the indie music business in NYC for a while in the mid-late nineties. Now that we're older and live further away from a large city it's much more difficult. Local bands in our area are mostly cover bands or just not very creative. Most of the shows we would like to see in the large city we live near are during the week and it's hard the next day, even without drinking which we usually don't do anymore at shows. It has to be something we really want to see to get us to drive 45-min to an hour each way to see a band on a weeknight. Since we're not really in the scene anymore we just don't know what local bands are good sometimes.

This sounds a lot like me, too. When I was younger the scene in my area was all ska and hardcore punk and so much fun. But now I am just out of the loop and in a different place in my life.

NOT to say I wouldn't still go out to shows...definitely would...
  • _Pseudonymous_
    _Pseudonymous_ Posts: 1,671 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I used to go all the time until I graduated high school. I originally was a music major and usually going to a live shpw involved being tortured by how bad it was. Not always but there are a lot of bands that just get together and then start doing shows before they even have a chance to know ech other and sync up. We have some great bands that have come from yere (pantera and the toadies being a few) but most music is just pale imitations of what is already out there.

All I can suggest is not playing shows before you are ready. People will come if you give them something to cone for. My roommate is in a pretty successful punk band (surprisingly well deserved popularity). They go on tour to Europe every year and play different punk festivals. They have been playing for some years now though and fill up all local venues. Just have to give the people a reason to come out.
  • Tryxxie2013
    Tryxxie2013 Posts: 1,489 Member
    Options
    I would hope so...LOL My husband is part of the local music scene!!!