how in the hell are these people getting 900 calorie burns

Options

Replies

• boxpunk
    boxpunk Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    For everyone so concerned about my walk, it's a constant incline. At 270, my heart rate does manage to get up there. I do jog for a few minutes of it, and go up and down any stairs I come across. Takes me an hour and 34 minutes to walk 4.6 miles.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    How are people getting 900 calries burned in a workout. I do insanity etc and still burn no where close to that.

You should see what I did on sunday.
  • boxpunk
    boxpunk Posts: 52 Member
    Options

I am not arguing whether people can run at 9mph, just that walking does not burn as much as running.

I don't understand why anyone is arguing. My hrm gave me 558 for walking 2.5 mph for an hour and 34 minutes. MFP gave me something close to 900 which I don't agree with, so I used my hrm. I wasn't on a treadmill walking in place, I walked to my in laws, 4.6 miles of constant incline and went up and down stairs I'd see on the way with some random jogging. "from this light to that light" jogging to get my heart rate up before I felt like dying.
  • Daisy471
    Daisy471 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    Sleep. With an hour commute each way to work, I'm gone 11 hours. Put in gym time of one and a half hours with drive time to and from home..then cooking and cleaning up every night because no one else does and my husband wants a fresh meal each night..no leftovers...it's nine when I'm done with that. Then bathing and relaxing and pet time...it's at least 11 before I get to bed. Then up at five to start over with breakfast etc....

Sounds like my schedule, out the door at 6 am, home between 5:30 & 6 pm (I also have a 1 hour commute). Most weekdays, my husband cooks. We do cleanup together and I still have time later in the evening for a 3-4 mile treadmill run or some strength training. Today we are meeting friends after work for a run, so we'll cook a simple meal after we get home. I am rarely up past 10 pm. We don't have kids at home anymore, so that makes things much easier.

On the weekends I do my long run. Saturday will be 9 miles, I am projecting that it will take me a little under 2 hours and burn more than 900 cals (guess based on my 8 mile runs in the last few weeks).

It can be done!
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    Sleep. With an hour commute each way to work, I'm gone 11 hours. Put in gym time of one and a half hours with drive time to and from home..then cooking and cleaning up every night because no one else does and my husband wants a fresh meal each night..no leftovers...it's nine when I'm done with that. Then bathing and relaxing and pet time...it's at least 11 before I get to bed. Then up at five to start over with breakfast etc....

Sounds like my schedule, out the door at 6 am, home between 5:30 & 6 pm (I also have a 1 hour commute). Most weekdays, my husband cooks. We do cleanup together and I still have time later in the evening for a 3-4 mile treadmill run or some strength training. Today we are meeting friends after work for a run, so we'll cook a simple meal after we get home. I am rarely up past 10 pm. We don't have kids at home anymore, so that makes things much easier.

On the weekends I do my long run. Saturday will be 9 miles, I am projecting that it will take me a little under 2 hours and burn more than 900 cals (guess based on my 8 mile runs in the last few weeks).

It can be done!

It can be done only if the OP truly wants to do it. The excuses in this thread show a lack of want to do it. The concepts she expressed in other threads show a series of unhealthy ideas about intake and a troubling relationship with calories (wanting to take in 800 while questioning how to burn 900 in a single workout is indicative of issues). Getting things done takes dedication and work ... she seems to want nothing more than quick fixes that border on the dangerous.
  • beerey05
    beerey05 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I hike alot, a hike plus an hour at the gym easily gives me 1000+ burn. I also do yoga and strength training, not focusing on calorie burn, because you're not going to burn a lot if your heart rate isn't up there. Instead remembering that those things are strengthening and toning your body, in my opinion you need a healthy balance of both. It's about more than just calories.
  • wadevb1
    Options
    My morning and afternoon Bootcamp classes puts me in the ball park
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    I walked 9.2 miles yesterday. My hrm gave me 1116. I walk 3 to 5 miles a day and do a work out DVD. I go by my hrm, not MFP. ETA:,I use my hrm because MFP gives me way too many calories burned. For my walk yesterday, at 4.6 miles, hrm 558, MFP close to 900.

Both sound too high. For walking your net calories expended can be estimated by:

.30 x weight (in lbs) distance (in miles

at 270 lbs it would look like:

.30 x 270 x 9.2 = 745

HRMs are prone to overstating caloric burns as 1) most report gross calories expended which includes BMR and 2) their algorithms assume a linear relationship between heart rate and energy expenditure (which does not exist)
    You burn about as many calories walking versus running the same distance -- mainly because walking takes a lot longer!

Runners World might disagree with that assertion......

http://www.runnersworld.com/weight-loss/how-many-calories-are-you-really-burning?page=single
  • greghei1
    greghei1 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Unless you are something close to a proffessional athlete you are not going to burn anything near that much. Period.

That's just not true.

Last weekend I did 60 mins on the erg at an average split of 2:12/500m, on a descending split over the course . Last 500m were at a 1:50 split, just for kicks and giggles. Average HR (by Polar HRM) was 166, high HR (during the last 500m) was 187. Total calories expended were 1305. That overstates it a little bit, because my BMR for an hour is 85kcal, but we're still north of 1200kcal for that workout. I'm also 6'3" and 230 lbs, so my calorie burn is going to be higher than average.

To be fair, that was a hard workout. 60 minutes of full body workout at a pretty high HR, without a rest. When I'm doing steady state on the erg, I do it low and slow at a rating of between 20-22 strokes per min, so the power per stroke is relatively high.

Most people can't or won't do that, not least because it's insanely boring.

That doesn't mean it can't be done.
  • BeingFatSucksss
    BeingFatSucksss Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    I have a treadmill with 3 manual incline settings. and i am not sure how many calories i burnt cuz the treadmill meter shows the calories i burnt by normal walking on level ground.
    i'm really confused as to what to log in the calorie counter here !

Any help?
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options

I am not arguing whether people can run at 9mph, just that walking does not burn as much as running.

I don't understand why anyone is arguing. My hrm gave me 558 for walking 2.5 mph for an hour and 34 minutes. MFP gave me something close to 900 which I don't agree with, so I used my hrm. I wasn't on a treadmill walking in place, I walked to my in laws, 4.6 miles of constant incline and went up and down stairs I'd see on the way with some random jogging. "from this light to that light" jogging to get my heart rate up before I felt like dying.

I put walking at 3mph for 180 minutes and got 750 calories burned... in MFP. How have you got such conflicting results?
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    Unless you are something close to a proffessional athlete you are not going to burn anything near that much. Period.

Completely untrue. You just have to run some distance. For example, I burned about 1,700 calories from my last half marathon in November and 3,500 during a marathon in ran in December. I am not, nor will I ever be close to professional level.

Period and all that.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options

:noway: :noway: :noway:
  • Jerrypeoples
    Jerrypeoples Posts: 1,541 Member
    Options
    last night i ran approx 4 miles from playing basketball for about 700 calories burned. 900 in a workout is not that all illogical
  • Jerrypeoples
    Jerrypeoples Posts: 1,541 Member
    Options
    How are people getting 900 calries burned in a workout. I do insanity etc and still burn no where close to that.

You should see what I did on sunday.

me too..thankfully sheep tell no tales
  • jmpotter01
    Options
    Hi I wear a polar heart rate monitor and wear it with each one of my clients when I work out with them and I add it all up and some days I burn 1000 calories in a day over 4 or so hours. But, I do not recommend this be cause then I'm exhausted! Diet is the most important, measuring and keeping track of calories and protein intake. Judy :smile:
  • BeingFatSucksss
    BeingFatSucksss Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    I hardly burn 600 cal per day. I should probably just go swimming or start running more and walking less :3

1000per day wud be aawesome !
  • EMTFreakGirl
    EMTFreakGirl Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    FYI: I know it's not my exercise/workout, but it is possible to get that burn. I ran a full code this morning and between the "scene-work," the ambulance and ER continuation, 1923 cals burned per my Body Media Fit. Just sayin'. (And yes, we got the save!!!!) :bigsmile: CPR is a GREAT workout...I recommend everyone take the class and be prepared. (off soapbox now.) :wink:
  • andream1976
    andream1976 Posts: 77 Member
    Options

I use a Polar Monitor, and during my longer Les Mills Combat cardio workouts i can get up into the low 600's if i really push myself, and thats in about 55 minutes.
    its completely possible.

^^ I also have a Polar Monitor set to my specifics (165 lbs, 5' 3", 37 yrs old, female) and during my hour long Zumba classes I'm averaging calorie burns of 700-800 with heart rates consistantly around 180. It's a full hour of constant cardio, though. No stopping.

I also have some of the newer Leslie Sansone walking dvds and the one has a 48 minute 3 mile power walk that uses HIIT training. I get 450-500 calorie burn out of that. More impressive than I was thinking and a bit less intense than some other HIIT type work outs.

I know there may be some inconsistencies among monitors and fitness trackers, but I think my heart rate monitor is the closest I'll ever come to knowing just how much MY body is working and for me that's all that matters.
  • Ctrum69
    Ctrum69 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I hardly burn 600 cal per day. I should probably just go swimming or start running more and walking less :3

1000per day wud be aawesome !

According to my Basis B1, I burn about 1800 to 2000 just doing regular everyday stuff.