Runners who lift: what does your workout schedule look like?

Replies

• lilawolf
    lilawolf Posts: 1,690 Member
    How about a lifter who runs?

M: Squats, OHP, Deadlifts
    T: Krav Maga (Israeli martial arts)
    W: Rest
    Th: Squats, Bench, Row
    F: Krav Maga (Israeli martial arts)
    Sat/Sun: One rest day, one run day.

A good mix of heavy lifting/strength and endurance training. I will say that my run has suffered when I went back to cutting especially since it's at the end of the week. When I was bulking, I could do it all.
  • JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    M/W/F run
    T/TH Lifting, full body

When I'm not focusing on running, it's the other way around, 2 days running, three days lifting, right now (although I have a broken treadmill and need a new one) I'm working to improve my pace and add distance, so more running.
  • timeasterday
    timeasterday Posts: 1,368 Member
    My schedule looks like this:

Mon: Legs & Back
    Tue: Easy run or rest
    Wed: Shoulders & Triceps, Speedwork at track
    Thu: Chest & Biceps
    Fri: Tempo run or hill repeats
    Sat: Bike or rest
    Sun: Long run
  • This week will look like this (was supposed to hit the gym today but I got sick last night. This is provided that I feel well tomorrow). I run Mon, Tues, Thurs, Fri.

T: 30 min. run (probably an easy one) Chest/Abs (60 min)
    W: Arc Trainer 30 min. Back/Legs (60 min)
    Th: 30 min run (probably speed work) Shoulders/Abs (60 min)
    Fr: 30 min run (tempo) tri's legs (60 min)

Sat/Sun rest.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    To really be good at running (which is my goal) I need to run at least 5 days a week. When I begin to strength train, I will run at noon and lift at night.
  • summertime_girl
    summertime_girl Posts: 3,945 Member
    Right now I'm trying to run 3-4 days a week, long runs on weekends again, 3-5 miles on M-T-F.

Lifting is
    Monday: Chest/Shoulders (and run 5k)
    Tuesday: Cardio/Abs (run 5k+)
    Wednesday: Back/Traps
    Thursday: Cardio/Abs (run 5k+)
    Friday: Legs (and run 5k)
    Saturday: Biceps/Triceps (and long run, whatever I have time for, or a race).

Currently have a bunch of OCRs, one full marathon with 40 pound ruck sack, and one half that I'm register for.
  • hopefully there's a lot of runners in this forum who can help me out. I weight lift 4X a week and do my morning run 3X a week. recently, I cut out my morning runs and swapped it for cross fit 3X a week as a form of HIIT(high intensity interval training). basically I was looking to change things up so I wouldn't get bored, as I was sure to do. would I get the same effect with cross fit as I would running or do I need to implement some cardio in there as well?
  • nonstopper
    nonstopper Posts: 1,108 Member
    Bump - @ this time i only Hard Sprint on Sundays. Lift Mon-Fri. (thursday HIT/crossfit).
    Summer I will have early morning runs w/ lifting
  • Jordan_Gregers
    Jordan_Gregers Posts: 35 Member
    The schedule I'm establishing right now looks like this:

Monday: Elliptical 30m, Chest & Triceps 45m, Pilates Class in the evening
    Tuesday: Run 3-4miles
    Wednesday: Run 3-4miles, Pilates Class in the Evening
    Thursday: Run 2-3miles, Legs and Shoulders 45m
    Friday: Long Walk (4-5miles)
    Saturday: 2-3miles, Back & Biceps 45m
    Sunday: Long Run (5-7miles)
  • ElliottTN
    ElliottTN Posts: 1,614 Member
    Currently training for a marathon where:
    Sat: Long runs
    Mon: Short recovery run
    Wed: Med-Long distance
    Thurs: Short recovery run

Edit: Forgot to add that some Sundays are my drunken runs with the local hash house.

and here is what my weight schedule looks like:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/ElliottTN/view/modified-strength-routine-while-in-marathon-training-mode-603888
  • sjp_511
    sjp_511 Posts: 476 Member
    This is what has been working for me. Granted, I've only been back in training for a race (Half Marathon) for 2 weeks. So, this is what has worked for me for two weeks.

I just started getting into lifting, so I don’t want to stop or slow down at this time. I do two workouts per day on weekdays.

Sunday – Long Run (11K)
    Monday – AM: Recovery Run(5-6KM) PM: Body Pump
    Tuesday – AM: 20 min cardio + Legs PM: 40 Minutes on Stairmaster
    Wednesday – AM: 20 min cardio + Biceps/Triceps/Shoulders PM: Run (6-8KM)
    Thursday – AM: Run (6-8KM) PM: Body Pump + Body Combat
    Friday – AM: 20 min cardio +Back/Chest/Abs PM: Cardio (Optional)
    Saturday – Body Attack

The run distances will continue to change as I progress through my training, my current training plan is 4 days per week.

Interested to hear any recommendations or thoughts surrounding my plan if you have any 

My recommendations/advice are that this is too much! You are getting in 12 workouts/week with no rest days. You say you have only been at this for 2 weeks. What were you doing before? If this level of exercise is new to you, I wouldn't be surprised if you burn out or get injured.
  • sjp_511
    Thanks everyone that has responded. Some of you log a lot of exercise time. I am impressed!
  • kaylatee0
    kaylatee0 Posts: 65 Member
    This is what has been working for me. Granted, I've only been back in training for a race (Half Marathon) for 2 weeks. So, this is what has worked for me for two weeks.

I just started getting into lifting, so I don’t want to stop or slow down at this time. I do two workouts per day on weekdays.

Sunday – Long Run (11K)
    Monday – AM: Recovery Run(5-6KM) PM: Body Pump
    Tuesday – AM: 20 min cardio + Legs PM: 40 Minutes on Stairmaster
    Wednesday – AM: 20 min cardio + Biceps/Triceps/Shoulders PM: Run (6-8KM)
    Thursday – AM: Run (6-8KM) PM: Body Pump + Body Combat
    Friday – AM: 20 min cardio +Back/Chest/Abs PM: Cardio (Optional)
    Saturday – Body Attack

The run distances will continue to change as I progress through my training, my current training plan is 4 days per week.

Interested to hear any recommendations or thoughts surrounding my plan if you have any 

My recommendations/advice are that this is too much! You are getting in 12 workouts/week with no rest days. You say you have only been at this for 2 weeks. What were you doing before? If this level of exercise is new to you, I wouldn't be surprised if you burn out or get injured.

The only part of this that is new is the AM strength training, before the AM strength training it was just more cardio (usually an hour). So really not a huge difference, but agree I need to scale back.. just trying to strike the right balance.
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    I am over 50 years. That might, or might not, be different from being younger.
    But, I cannot lift three times a week and run well. When I say run well, I mean run faster than a 10-minute mile and do runs of 6-8 miles or more.
    I get the impression that most of the people answering here are people who lift, and throw a little running in (treadmill, 2-3 mile runs . . . certainly not half marathon training.)
    I can do some push-ups after an 8-mile run, but i certainly cannot then go into the gym and lift heavy. It is just not happening!
    If I lift heavy one day (squats, to as close to failure as I can get without falling over and hurting myself), I am not going to be able to run very well the next day. I'll be slow.
    I would recommend trying to lift two times a week, and seeing how that goes. I think you can make progress with twice a week and your running will suffer less.
  • sjp_511
    I am over 50 years. That might, or might not, be different from being younger.
    But, I cannot lift three times a week and run well. When I say run well, I mean run faster than a 10-minute mile and do runs of 6-8 miles or more.
    I get the impression that most of the people answering here are people who lift, and throw a little running in (treadmill, 2-3 mile runs . . . certainly not half marathon training.)
    I can do some push-ups after an 8-mile run, but i certainly cannot then go into the gym and lift heavy. It is just not happening!
    If I lift heavy one day (squats, to as close to failure as I can get without falling over and hurting myself), I am not going to be able to run very well the next day. I'll be slow.
    I would recommend trying to lift two times a week, and seeing how that goes. I think you can make progress with twice a week and your running will suffer less.

Thank you for this response. I do like my plan of lifting twice a week and I think it helps me keep my focus on running, which is what I want. I am tempted to add a 3rd lifting day to my routine because I enjoy it so much but I need to keep my focus on running. Maybe I'm having a hard time focusing on running because the weather has been so crappy. But I am less than 6 weeks from my next half so I gotta get those miles in.
  • MrsSchimmy
    MrsSchimmy Posts: 255 Member
    This is just the sort of thread I have been searching for! I started with spin 5 days a week, then found running and have ran (and won) a handful of races. I also found my heavy weights. I hate treadmill running so winters are so hard! I'm itching to race again.

Currently, I follow a 12 week training program on Bodybuilding.com. It's intense and I am pretty sure that every muscle in my body is sore right now. I chose this one and have stuck with it through to week 6 (still going strong!) because there is cardio starting from day 1 =) Therefore, my routine changes weekly.
    I roughly train 2-3 days in a row then do solely cardio for 1 day. I will fit 1 rest day in a week on one of the cardio days. However, I am interested in seeing what other people are doing since I know at the end of this program I will be training more for my races and less about lifting.
    But giving up my weights is hard... especially when I see this booty I've grown!
  • delicious_cocktail
    delicious_cocktail Posts: 5,797 Member
    I'm a lifter who runs. Lift / run alternating Monday through Saturday mornings with Saturday being my long run. Thus after my long run it's rest sunday, lift monday, training run tuesday, then atlernate.
  • Otterluv
    Otterluv Posts: 9,083 Member
    Monday: lift
    Tuesday: rest
    Wednesday: long run
    Thursday: rest
    Friday: lift
    Saturday: 7 mile tempo run
    Sunday: 7 mile easy run

I have to work around my school schedule, and Tuesday/Thursdays are looooooong school days. It helps to sandwich my long run in between rest days. Sometimes I move things around on F/S/S, it depends on the weather and what hurts at the moment. All of my running are trail runs and my lifting is mostly compound lifts with a bunch of accessories tossed in.
  • Currently training for a marathon where:

Edit: Forgot to add that some Sundays are my drunken runs with the local hash house.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/ElliottTN/view/modified-strength-routine-while-in-marathon-training-mode-603888

Your strength workout is very similar to mine. How long will you keep this routine before changing it up?
  • ElliottTN
    ElliottTN Posts: 1,614 Member
    Currently training for a marathon where:

Your strength workout is very similar to mine. How long will you keep this routine before changing it up?

I'm not big on change so I'll keep it up until it no longer is giving me benefits. All the accessory/auxiliary lifts can be changed from week to week without getting stale so that has been good. I also force myself to do a deload week about every 8 weeks with any routine. I'm not sure how long I can hold the power leg day in there now that the mileage is ramped up on Saturdays. I've had to skip it more than once because they just didn't feel up to task.