Sugar Free

Options
Has anyone made the switch to a sugar free diet? I'm going to attempt it for a week (key word - attempt) but I'm worried about getting sick of the same repetitious meals! So many of my usual meals have sugar whether it be a salad dressing, or frozen chicken.

Replies

• MelRC117
    MelRC117 Posts: 911 Member
    Options
    I have done the low carb diet and I really like it for myself and I will tell you....I don't think its possible or realistic to do ZERO sugar. Even lettuce has a very small amount of sugar...broccoli has sugar. Several types of cheeses have a small amount of sugar. I guess that would be eating just meat. I'm very much for each their own but completely sugar free...that just seems like you're setting yourself up for failure at some point.
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options
    What if I told you sugar is a carb?
  • Ctrum69
    Ctrum69 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Just about everything has sugar in it in one form or another.

If by "sugar free" you mean "added refined sugar", I have more or less done that for a year now.

Typically, if something says "Sugar free!" on the label I avoid it like the plague, (unless it's bad marketing strategy, like "Sugar fre potato chips!" or "sugar free, sodium free, gluten free water!" etc.

I react worse to fake sugars than to real sugar, and find they all taste terrible anyway.

It took a long time to adjust my sweet tooth (4 tbs sugar in a cup of coffee, 2l of mtn dew a day, etc), but now I cannot stand coffee with even the smallest amount of sugar (as in.. wife stirs hers (with 1 tsp of sugar), then stirs mine with the same spoon, and I can taste it, and it's disgustingly sweet), or soda, or cakes, etc.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    Has anyone made the switch to a sugar free diet? I'm going to attempt it for a week (key word - attempt) but I'm worried about getting sick of the same repetitious meals! So many of my usual meals have sugar whether it be a salad dressing, or frozen chicken.

why would you want to? The most successful people are those who eat a diet they enjoy, in moderation.
  • mccindy72
    Options
    I'm sugar free except for one teaspoon of sugar in my breakfast porridge - otherwise I would get a headache! No cravings and now I know I can walk past the cookie jar and not put my hand in which I think is very important when eventually I'm in maintenance!

I walk past the cookie jar and put my hand in and take out one cookie and eat it as I walk away. I enjoy every. damned. bite. Still fits into my calorie goal. and my macros.
  • Ctrum69
    Options
    I'm sugar free except for one teaspoon of sugar in my breakfast porridge - otherwise I would get a headache! No cravings and now I know I can walk past the cookie jar and not put my hand in which I think is very important when eventually I'm in maintenance!

I walk past the cookie jar and put my hand in and take out one cookie and eat it as I walk away. I enjoy every. damned. bite. Still fits into my calorie goal. and my macros.

Good for you!

Congratulations.

Here's what I know.. I used to crave soda, now I don't. That in and of itself is enough to make me happy with my changes.
  • kbkeats
    kbkeats Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Should have clarified - I mean to refined or added sugar. Fruit, veggies, etc are still a main component.

I've hear such positive things from friends who have taken it on as a lifestyle now - more energy, weight loss, better skin. Seems as though as long as I can hold out for the first 21 days, the addiction and reliance should be broken!
  • sweetsarahj
    sweetsarahj Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    Will you be eating other simple carbs? Wonder bread and white sugar are the same as far as fuel is concerned.
  • Ctrum69
    Options
    Why do people assume others cannot "enjoy" a diet that doesn't have refined sugar, cookies, cakes, pies, etc in it?
  • Ctrum69
    Options
    Will you be eating other simple carbs? Wonder bread and white sugar are the same as far as fuel is concerned.

one slice of WOnder (28g) also has 2g of protein in it, so it's not as simple, at least for me as "same amount of calories!"

YMMV.. I try to eat as balanced and broad spectrum as possible.

If I can get the same amount of sugar from a coke, or from a juice I make at home out of carrots, beets, kale, etc.. I'm going for the juice, because it's got way better micronutrition.

Not saying my choices are right for anyone else. But their's aren't necessarily right for me, either.
  • kbkeats
    Options

Nope - the plan is to stick to natural sugars. There are plenty of sugar free whole wheat options I'll be eating.
  • kbkeats
    Options
    Why do people assume others cannot "enjoy" a diet that doesn't have refined sugar, cookies, cakes, pies, etc in it?

Thank you! I don't feel like I'll be significantly depriving myself - it's more about substitutions than deprivation.
  • mccindy72
    Options

why would you want to? The most successful people are those who eat a diet they enjoy, in moderation.

It's the 'moderation' thing that bests me every time. Eventually I just start eating more and more sugary food. So I have cut this risk out (only sensible, don't you think?).

I would hazard a guess and say that this lack of 'moderation' is the reason why most diets fail and why most people are overweight!

I think honestly, it's a matter of finding what works for you. If you think you can be successful in the long run without missing the foods you used to like and won't get bored with your everyday food, go for it. The problem is that people try to give up all the foods they love entirely and in the long run miss them too much and then give up. Many people find success by trial and error, figuring out how to find ways to eat a moderate portion of a food they love that still fits into a calorie goal that allows for weight loss and maintenance. There's nothing wrong with deciding you want a piece or two of pizza and eating it. Just figure out how to stick to just that piece or two of pizza. Where people run into trouble is allowing themselves to eat more than the one or two pieces.
    I personally find I enjoy the treat foods more when I only eat them once in a while, or only eat a small amount, and take the time to savor that small amount. When people know they have a large portion to eat, they tend to eat faster, rather than enjoy each taste or bite of it.
  • mccindy72
    Options

Why do people assume that refined sugar, cookies, cakes, pies, etc, should be avoided entirely?
  • Supertact
    Supertact Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    Eat whatever you want just stay in a calorie deficit and you'll lose.
  • Ctrum69
    Options

Thank you! I don't feel like I'll be significantly depriving myself - it's more about substitutions than deprivation.

if my experience is any indicator, it SUCKS for the first month or two.

Because, typically, you are in a habit of just grabbing something to eat, and breaking that habit requires retraining. (Not addiction, habit, before someone jumps all over that).

half a chicken breast is about the same calories as a snicker's bar.

But there are seldom chicken breasts in the vending machines.

for me, breaking that habit of "sweet = snack", was a big help in getting my intakes shifted away from empty calories, and more towards a broader and deeper diet.

(and by diet, I mean lifestyle change, it doesn't have an end date)
  • Ctrum69
    Options

Why do people assume that refined sugar, cookies, cakes, pies, etc, should be avoided entirely?

I don't think anyone has said they should be, have they?

I have @ 1700 calories a day to play with.. I'm going for the broadest and deepest macro and micronutrition I can get in that.

Others may feel differently.

If you can make your goals, and enjoy pies, cakes, cookies, whatever, more power to you!

Once I stopped regularly eating them I found I honestly don't like them, and have zero dietary need for them.
  • kyherber
    kyherber Posts: 5 Member
    Options

...weight, and health, and hair, and energy. :wink:
  • mccindy72
    Options

...weight, and health, and hair, and energy. :wink:

Pretty sure I have a TON of healthy hair, I'm in great shape, and have energy. I eat what I want.
  • pmumble
    Options
    I've been avoiding processed/refined sugar for months now, and I have to say it's great. Once you ditch the overly sweet refined sugar all the natural sugars start to jump out as super sweet and you no longer crave the refined stuff, its "sickly" sweet.

I've heard a lot of references to refined sugar possibly causing cancer, candida, and other issues.. why risk it.

Make the change, you won't regret it.