So, tomorrow is Just Stay Fat Tuesday...

Options
Fullsterkur_woman
Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
Is anybody making blini or anything special for Maslenitsa?

I might just eat a stick of butter and call it good.

Replies

• Iceberg_Simpson
    Iceberg_Simpson Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    I've got a whole plate of the greatest brownies in the world sitting in my kitchen right now. Consider it done.
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options
    Crap. I'm a day early.
  • calibriintx
    calibriintx Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    I celebrated yesterday. I'm not sure if I should leave it at that, or do it twice.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    NO, but pancake tuesday sounds great. I think I will do maslenitsa every week. Hopefully caviar is not required.
  • RivenV
    RivenV Posts: 1,667 Member
    Options
    I figured I just had a standing invitation to come round to your place for these special food-based holidays...
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Options
    I figured I just had a standing invitation to come round to your place for these special food-based holidays...
    I don't let people come to my house! :angry: Now get off my lawn!
  • andiechick
    andiechick Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    oooh if this is like our pancake day then can I take part please? homemade pancakes drizzled with golden syrup, mmm!!
  • Always_Smiling_D
    Always_Smiling_D Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I am on a just stay FAT everyday

Fabulously Amazing, & Tantalizing - all year round and I do my best to keep that way ;)

Conceded too, but hey, if I don't love me then how can anyone else :P
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Options
    oooh if this is like our pancake day then can I take part please? homemade pancakes drizzled with golden syrup, mmm!!
    http://int.rgo.ru/news/maslenitsa-pancake-week-from-beginning-to-end/
    The blini of Maslenitsa are a little bit thinner than the pancakes you're used to, probably. And please tell me by "golden syrup" you mean honey or maple syrup, because cheap imitation "pancake syrup" makes the baby Jesus cry.
  • andiechick
    Options
    Golden syrup is absolutely delicious, its better than honey and waaaay better than maple syrup...check it out.

http://www.lylesgoldensyrup.com/syrups.php

Its best use is probably for making a syrup sponge which you serve hot with custard....salivates.....mmm.

We make our pancakes quite thin, certainly thinner than what you would have for breakfast and we fold it over (a bit like a crepe).

God woman you've got me dreaming of pancakes now, hahaha!! x
  • RivenV
    RivenV Posts: 1,667 Member
    Options

Nope! I'm setting up shop here. I even brought some really fancy flamingos for your lawn. :happy:
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Options
    Ah! Yep, those are pretty close to blini, I'd say. Sometimes you can get "blintzes" here in my neck of the woods, stuffed with cottage cheese and topped with blueberry compote. They'll do in a pinch.
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Options

Nope! I'm setting up shop here. I even brought some really fancy flamingos for your lawn. :happy:
    You'll have to move all the giant Atlas stones first. Good luck with that! We got several rocks in the 200+ pound range.

If you bring sirniki and blackberry jam, though, I'll let you stay. Especially if it comes with the large crystal sugar. :laugh:
  • andiechick
    Options
    Some people here like to just sprinkle sugar or lemon juice over their pancakes but for me it's got to be thick sweet golden syrup!!!
  • AsaThorsWoman
    AsaThorsWoman Posts: 2,303 Member
    Options
    Hmmm... I had intended on a cooking a chicken tomorrow night... but we might just be having Paleo Pancakes with grass fed butter and :-O Maple Syrup, with maybe some eggs and sausage, instead!

Thanks for the heads up! I enjoyed reading about Maslenitsa. I'd never heard of it!