C25K for super overweight folks

Options
I am going to try C25K ... any adivce?

Replies

• rhoshambeau
    rhoshambeau Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Buy good shoes and get them properly fitted. I went from 340 lbs to 270 on c25k program. Stopped running regained the weight started running again. On week 2 at the moment.
  • handyrunner
    handyrunner Posts: 32,662 Member
    Options
    make sure you get into some decent shoes..do NOT worry about speed..its about finishing each workout not how fast you do them.

pay attention to your body...if it starts screaming at you with real pain listen to it.
  • skorenfeld123
    skorenfeld123 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I second the going slow part...if you can go slower, go slower.

Also a great playlist makes ALL of the difference in the world! Go get 'em!
  • Cathalain
    Cathalain Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    I'm just starting this myself.

Don't be afraid to repeat a week if you need to. I'm going to try and start the second week today (I'm on Week 2, Day 1), but if I can't or if it gets too difficult, I'm going to drop back a week and start over again until I feel I can handle it. But I'm not giving up, no matter what.

You can do this. :)
  • DirrtyH
    DirrtyH Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    Also, don't feel bad if you have to repeat a week. Sometimes the jump from one week to the next is a little tough and you can need a little extra time to get there. That's okay. Take it at your own pace.
  • RinnyLush
    RinnyLush Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Pay attention to your body! When I first started C25K I had terrible knee pain that I (at first, foolishly) tried to run through. It turned out to be an IT band issue, which is super common and easy to work around, but I nearly injured myself trying to 'ignore the pain'. I did some research, learned some stretching and foam roller techniques, purchased a compression sleeve, and always RICE (Rest, Ice, Compression, Elevate) after runs. Also, I only run every second day - never back to back. By taking the proper precautions and listening to my body I can pretty much run pain-free now.

In short - listen to your body, and take care of it. Everyone is different. Best wishes! :flowerforyou:
  • ZombieSwimmer
    Options
    Thanks for the advice you guys! I think I am going to ask you all to be my friend also! hee hee
  • fit_at_fifty
    fit_at_fifty Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I have been doing C25K this past couple of weeks and I find a flat road without hills or inclines is far easier on the knees, particularly to begin with. It is a great app and I sometimes didn´t feel like doing it but I was so glad I did once I am out there.
    Good luck :)
  • RinnyLush
    RinnyLush Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Also, don't feel bad if you have to repeat a week. Sometimes the jump from one week to the next is a little tough and you can need a little extra time to get there. That's okay. Take it at your own pace.

This! For sure.
  • Log_n_Jog
    Log_n_Jog Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    This is all wonderful advice! I would like to add that you can always run less than the scheduled run times if needed. I started off very heavy and very out of shape, so running 60-90 seconds was impossible. I modified the first week so that I started at 30 seconds of running and then worked my way up from there. Repeat weeks if you have to and make sure to take those rest days! I lost 55 lbs doing C25K and have since ran 4 half marathons. :)
  • caitastic24
    caitastic24 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    I'm just starting to run and best advice is to listen to your body. Carrying extra weight is hard on your knees. I walked/jogged 4 miles on Saturday morning and my calves still hurt lol Good luck!
  • CorlissaEats
    CorlissaEats Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    I wasnt super overweight when I started but I did have the uncomfortable bouncing sensation/pain of my jiggly parts trying to keep up. It goes away after a few weeks though so if its uncomfortable at first, it will get better! Running is great for weightloss and tightening.

And I second the slow part. For the most part there is very little difference in my treadmill setting between the walking and running parts. I work on getting the time in and not getting cramps or knee/arch pain. And if I am tired or having a bad run, I go back to the previous weeks of the program and do what I can. I try to go 30 seconds beyond what I think I am capable and more often than not when I get to the end of that 30 seconds I do another and then another. No shame in doing your best.

Shoes: it is amazing the difference a good pair of shoes will make. They dont have to be expensive but they do need to provide the support your foot needs.

Water: Have a big drink of cold water about 10-20 minutes before you start unless this makes you sick. Its amazing the difference in my endurance when I drink cold water first. I also have a mouthful or two during my walking stretches.

And stretch! If you get muscle cramps later you might need more magnesium, but generally speaking stretching before and after should help prevent pain and cramps.
  • Tomahawk3Niner
    Options
    Two things helped me get through the first couple weeks of C25K:

1. Slow down. Now slow down some more. Am I slow enough? Yes! OK, slow down even more.
    2. Push through the burning lung bit at the beginning of the run. I think I am going to die for the first 30-60 seconds but then I find my stride and it gets easier to get the oxygen I need with out feeling like my lungs are ripping apart.
  • QueenyLanae
    QueenyLanae Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I just did week 1 day 1 of C25K today. I'm doing mine indoors but i do not owe a treadmill. I just walk/run in place.
  • prettygirlstorm1
    prettygirlstorm1 Posts: 722 Member
    Options
    Hey, this is my second time doing c25k. I am not a runner but I find that this is kind of fun. I ran my first 5k about two years ago in 32 minutes I was so proud. I have started again and am on week 3. The advice everyone is giving to take is slow is the best thing you can do. I have pain in my shins and I found that stretching them helps a lot. The kind of shoes you wear is important. I drink lots of water before during and after. Take breaks as needed. Good luck. I am going to do another 5k in May.
  • BeingKevin
    BeingKevin Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I agree with what was said above, specifically to go slow and get good shoes. I waited until after week 5 to buy actual running shoes and couldn't believe how much they helped. Good luck - you can do it!
  • mheebner
    mheebner Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    SHOES !!! It makes a huge difference. And not just getting shoes, go to a running specific store and have a run analysis done. They will be able to help you find shoes to correct most running issues that will affect you.

And also second the slow down part....speed will come with time and better fitness.

ETA..check out the C25K discussion group here on the MFP site..tons of excellent advice and tips as well as support.
  • rstrode
    rstrode Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I am in a similar boat. I have over 100 pounds to go and I have done the first 4 C25K workouts, and I repeated one of the week one's. I am REALLY struggling today after doing one Saturday and another Sunday. My knees are killing me, so I think I have earned a day or two off, at least from walking/jogging. I had my first outside run on Sunday and the hills made it MUCH harder for me.

Based on some of the advice you have gotten 8 weeks might be 10-12 for me.
  • ZombieSwimmer
    Options
    This is all wonderful advice! I would like to add that you can always run less than the scheduled run times if needed. I started off very heavy and very out of shape, so running 60-90 seconds was impossible. I modified the first week so that I started at 30 seconds of running and then worked my way up from there. Repeat weeks if you have to and make sure to take those rest days! I lost 55 lbs doing C25K and have since ran 4 half marathons. :)

WOW!! ^^^ I guess there is some hope for me too! :bigsmile:
  • Samstan101
    Samstan101 Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    I started at almost 300lbs. I took it slowly (I could walk quicker than my 'running' pace at first and my 1st 5k took me 50mins, my PB is now 32:29). I also found my knees wouldn't take 3 sessions a week so did 1 or 2 sessions and then went swimming or did weights or used the elliptical/ cross trainer for another 2 or 3 sessions a week to improve my strength and cardio fitness. I also made a deal with myself that if I quit during a session because I was tired then I had to re do that session - its one hell of an incentive to manage those last 2 mins so you don't have to repeat the previous 18mins LOL. I also iced my knees after every run as I found this sped up my recovery between sessions.

It took me around 15 weeks to get to the end of week 7, by about week 5 of the plan I realised I liked running, by week 7 of the plan I loved it and ditched the rest of the plan. I now do my local Park Run on a Saturday morning, on a Sunday regularly run 5+miles (longest to date is 8 miles) and am signed up for a number of 10k races, a 5 miler and a half marathon in the autumn. As you can see from my banner I'm still 60+ lbs from target but I run 4 days a week on average now.

Best of luck and enjoy your running!