I'm Hungry ALL the Time

Options
2»

Replies

• Aaliyahgurl83
    Options
    I feel the same as you.
    I think alot of it is not having enough protein. I am on a different diet called Advocare. But it does say if your hungry to have snacks between all your meals. Its not good to sit there and be hungry. Your body uses up alot of energy no matter what your doing. Just always keep snacks with you even if your on the go. So at least it will help you until its time for breakfast, lunch or dinner!
  • CaitlinW19
    CaitlinW19 Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    I like snacks that take me a while to eat...light string cheese is one. Picking at it makes me slow down. I try to slow down everything I eat and this helps. I drink breakfast shakes, taking them to work and literally taking 1 or 2 sips every few minutes...sometimes it takes me an hour to finish a 10 oz shake.It is normal (and healthy) to have a snack between breakfast and lunch. More small meals during the day generally helps people from over eating and, as a bonus, it keeps your metabolism working faster more of the day, which can mean more weight loss.

I agree with everyone else, you absolutly should be eating a minimum of 1200 calories a day unless you have a doctors order to do less. There is a reason MFP doesn't give anyone less than a 1200 calorie a day diet. If you are skeptical, find out your BMI ( the amount of calories you burn daily just by physically living a breathing even if you stayed in bed all day) using an online calculator. I did this the otherday and I burn 1500 calories a day without doing a thing but breathing. On a weight loss regimine, I am eating 1340 calories a day and more when I excercise. You do your body more harm than good by depriving...your body chooses to destroy muscle vs. fat because muscles burn more calories...your body is trying to survive on a calorie budget, esentially, and cuts out the biggest spenders first to make what you give it last longer. That's just one of the many negatives of extremely low calorie diets, and one of the trickiest ones because you may see the number on the scale drop and think what you are doing is working.
  • mary190136
    mary190136 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I have a similar problem with hunger. What I do is, I fill my desk at work and my pantry at home with tons of options for various fruit and black and green tea. The hot liquid makes it seem more substantial to me than drinking water. The variety of flavors keeps it interesting, and tea keeps me from snacking. This might help you too!

If you don't like tea, try fruit-infused water.
  • imjolly
    imjolly Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Just taking a quick look at your diet, you may need more protein. I was eating oatmeal in the morning and it wasn't enough. My doctor told me I needed to eat more protein for breakfast. You could try that.
  • knra_grl
    knra_grl Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    Just taking a quick look at your diet, you may need more protein. I was eating oatmeal in the morning and it wasn't enough. My doctor told me I needed to eat more protein for breakfast. You could try that.

I also find that when I have egg whites with a bit of low sodium bacon or turkey bacon/sausage in a breakfast sandwich it was fewer calories and more satisfying than the refriderator oatmeal I had this morning.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I'm the same way. I typically need a snack in the morning and the afternoon or I'm starving by meal time... and fruit and nuts just don't cut it for me, it's got to be Greek yogurt or a protein bar. I have to eat over 500 calories to tide me over for 5 hours... and at least 20g of protein.
  • Danny_Boy13
    Danny_Boy13 Posts: 2,094 Member
    Options
    1. Insufficient calories.

2. Low on protein.

3. Food is not spread out evenly through the day.

4. Eat more calorie dense foods.

^^^ This...
  • mllev87
    mllev87 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I put some cottage cheese in my porridge and then yoghurt on top. With some berries and a teensy bit of maple syrup it's yummy and a lot more protein than just regular porridge! Keeps me full a lot longer.
  • writergeek313
    writergeek313 Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    If you're eating on a budget, it's important to prioritize. I see that there are a lot of packaged foods in your diary. I spend the majority of my grocery money on proteins and produce. I try to buy my complex carbs like brown rice in bulk, since I know if I store them correctly they'll be good for a long time. I haven't cut out packaged foods entirely, but they're my lowest priority, meaning I only buy them when I have money left after I've gotten the other things I need. I do the same thing with going out to eat.

Also, don't get into the mindset that things that are high in calories or fats are necessarily bad for you. For instance, yes, a tablespoon of peanut butter has 95 calories in it (at least the brand I use does), but the fats in it are healthy, and it could add some protein and additional calories that it seems like you need for your breakfasts.

As far as affordable sources of protein go, my staples are chicken and turkey, canned tuna, Greek yogurt, cottage cheese, quinoa, lentils and beans, and protein powder/shakes (usually only after workouts).
  • kingscrown
    kingscrown Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    My diet is a lot more balanced now and I'm not so hungry. I also make sure I have a morning and afternoon snack. Can't make it through the day without one. Make sure you're eating enough protein and not a lot of simple carbs. Also something might be triggering the hungry. For me I found artificial sweeteners trigger a simple carb craving for me. Once I cut them out my craving for candy, bread, cookies etc. greatly diminished.
  • fificrazy
    Options
    Have you been dieting for awhile? Too big a deficit can REALLY mess up your metabolism/hunger levels, and it'd probably help to bump up your intake for a week or so. I find drinks are the best way to go for me, like carbonated fruit juice or carbonated water, or coffee or tea. Lattes are my pick of choice actually, but probably better if you're trying to maintain or gain, and I understand you want to lose weight. Temperature can also make the biggest difference! Sometimes if I have something warm too early in the morning, it makes me want to nibble, which if you're trying to avoid, you're better off having, say, an Izze (carbonated fruit juice). But by the afternoon, tea/coffee can effectively stave off hunger until dinner. Also drink lots of water, of course. And make sure lunch is filled with fibrous veggies! Try to avoid the wimpy diet foods like rice cakes, rice krispy, etc (basically, air disguised as food.) Stuff like that still counts calorically but digests SO fast you'll find yourself hungry a lot sooner.
  • Mojoman02
    Mojoman02 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Protein keeps me more satiated than any other food group.......something as simple as a hard boiled egg....a piece of cheese here and there.
  • knra_grl
    knra_grl Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    Eggs.

my favorite protein and cheap! A little carton of egg whites lasts at least a week it not longer even if you eat them every morning (1/4 cup is 2 whites and enough for breakfast for me when I add in a thin bun some cheese and turkey bacon - fairly low cal breakfast with lots of protein).