Blood, Glory, and Celery Sticks

Options
MagJam2004
MagJam2004 Posts: 651 Member
This past Friday was DnD night. Our party was starting a new adventure right on the heels of last week's 2 part episode that saw us kill a young dragon, plunder a subterranean prison, and lose a much loved NPC to a vicious bug bear attack. Friday's chapter started off with a bang. Getting lost in an ancient forest, attacked by a demon at a haunted camp ground, and finding an enchanted blade to help us along. Then it was break time for snacks.

Crap...what do I do.

There was pizza, there was Sunkist, and there was me; munching away on some sliced celery and bell pepper. It was hard to get back in the flow of it as I greedily eyed the beef and mushroom slices laying unprotected in the center of the table. No one was watching....I reached out.....and failed my move silent check. "AHA," my wife cried out! Damn and bebother, I was busted. I didn't pay it much thought when I decided to change my eating habits, but it struck me mightily on Friday. It is difficult to navigate dark roads and battle fearsome foes, while clutching my bag of flax seeds. My hand craves the feel of greasy pizza crust, and the welcoming crackle of the chip bag.

I had a lot of fun on Friday, but as I look forward to the next game night, my excitement is held in check by the do's and don'ts I am trying to uphold.

My imaginary counterpart is not happy.

Replies

• ren_ascent
    ren_ascent Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I'm jealous of your game night.

How about you alot for a little bit of cheating on game nights? Work out a little extra, skimp on the meals during the day so when your wife goes "AH-HAH" you can say you've got it covered with a confident mouth full of pizza.

Good gaming!

Edited to note that if your diary is accurate, you were more than within your bounds to enjoy a piece of pizza.
  • MagJam2004
    Options
    That would be a better plan.

Do you play DnD Rendon? We are doing custom adventures, 2-3 play sessions max, and everyone takes a turn behind the DM screen. It's more fun than following a store bought adventure, cheaper since we don't have to buy books, and awesome as we force ourselves to get aquainted with more content. Thanks for the reply!

My diary is accurate. Did you see Saturday and Sunday when I snuck in a few slices? I'm trying to break the stigma of thinking my diet is ruined and instead just planning accordingly.
  • ren_ascent
    Options
    That would be a better plan.

Do you play DnD Rendon? We are doing custom adventures, 2-3 play sessions max, and everyone takes a turn behind the DM screen. It's more fun than following a store bought adventure, cheaper since we don't have to buy books, and awesome as we force ourselves to get aquainted with more content. Thanks for the reply!

My diary is accurate. Did you see Saturday and Sunday when I snuck in a few slices? I'm trying to break the stigma of thinking my diet is ruined and instead just planning accordingly.

Looks like you're doing it right as far as planning but not sure about the daily calorie goal. My maintenance is around 1400 and I'm a TINY female. Watch yourself, burnout sucks.

I used to play the board game LOL! I stopped playing any games a few years back, but those were classic RPG types. I didn't lose interest, I just ran out of time. I have a friend who brings his Alienware laptop to work (yes, I said Alienware and yes, it is AWESOME) and shows me what he's up to in the game but that's the extent of my interaction.

Continue to enjoy!
  • MagJam2004
    Options
    I remember fondly all the hours I've spent on Alienware building $10,000+ laptops..."sigh"

My brother has admonished me on my intake, warning me about sending my body into starvation mode. With that said, I injured my self doing this weird thing, I think they called it ex-er-cise, and tried to cut it back since my activity tanked.

Board games > all others. Although we dungeon crawl armed with nothing more than a pencil and a notepad, nothing beats breaking out a gameboard and spending hours with good company. Time is definetley an issue though. I have 3 kids from 8 down to 5 months and couldn't do it without grandparents willingness to watch them and my wife who somehow manages to roll dice, change diapers, and slay like a beast. It was when she beat me twice, back to back, at Risk that I knew I had a keeper.
  • Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    Options
    I don't quite get it. I have lost so far 45 pounds in nine month and never have munched on a celery stick, or pieces of peppers unless I really wanted to. There is no reason why you could not have some of those beef and mushroom slices and stay perfectly well in your calorie allowance.
    What we are doing here is not about depriving ourselves, but about eating smart.......and everyone can do it !

EAT: And please tell your brother that he needs to read up on " starvation mode " before giving advise that is totally wrong......or better yet, tell him to take the expression out of his vocabulary alltogether....lol.
  • MagJam2004
    Options
    That dog has an almost human expression on it's face. My wife would love it.

Just to clarify, I am the one with the eat the bare minimum mantra. My brother is constantly telling me that I need to eat more calories or the sudden sugar spike will trigger my body to store the fat if I try and starve myself. I am with you on the eat sensibly point, and that cannot be said enough. But, as a recovering Cheeto-holic, my intrinsic stereotype is that only green or raw food is healthy or acceptable food. That is what I struggle with personally.
  • ren_ascent
    Options
    I remember fondly all the hours I've spent on Alienware building $10,000+ laptops..."sigh"

My brother has admonished me on my intake, warning me about sending my body into starvation mode. With that said, I injured my self doing this weird thing, I think they called it ex-er-cise, and tried to cut it back since my activity tanked.

Board games > all others. Although we dungeon crawl armed with nothing more than a pencil and a notepad, nothing beats breaking out a gameboard and spending hours with good company. Time is definetley an issue though. I have 3 kids from 8 down to 5 months and couldn't do it without grandparents willingness to watch them and my wife who somehow manages to roll dice, change diapers, and slay like a beast. It was when she beat me twice, back to back, at Risk that I knew I had a keeper.

You sound like you have a really fun family! I beat my husband at chess, which isn't saying much since he's abysmal at it. He did learn though and he took a picture of my face the day he put me in checkmate . . .