(LADIES) Working Out on Our Periods? Limits?

Options

Replies

• love2lift_85
    love2lift_85 Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    I don't do anything different on my period. Thanks to SoftCup, sometimes I forget I'm even on it.

Well, I haven't actually had a period in well over a year, LOL, but when I *was* getting them, that was the case. And when they do eventually come back, I'm not planning on doing anything differently.
  • ChancyW
    ChancyW Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    It doesn't really change how I workout. I follow my schedule and work hard no matter what time of month it is.

With that being said, do what works for you. It DOESN'T matter what advice other people give you. :smile:
  • juliewatkin
    juliewatkin Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    Workout whenever. However, I'll tell you what I noticed from a strength perspective. My strength went in the toilet just before my period and spiked when I was ovulating. I didn't notice much of anything on my period.

Happily I'm menopausal now.
  • GothyFaery
    GothyFaery Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    It completely amazes me that in this day and age people are still so concerned about their periods and what they can and can't do. Really its just a little blood. Nervous about it....use a pad with a tampon and move on.
    Ha! Not a little in my case on the first to third day -- hate it! I actually do the pad and tampon thing because I sometimes wake up to a murder scene and my flows have always been heavy. :sad:

I had the same problem when I first got mine. I've been on the pill for years and it helps reduce the heavy days. At first it only helped a little but now my period only lasts 3-4 days and is very light. Some months I have almost no flow. You might want to talk to a doctor and see if you can find a bc that works well with you even if you're not sexually active.
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Options
    Plug it with some dynamite and kill your workout. Exercising during TOM is not dangerous. It's a normal body function, and you can keep on as you were.

eta... the better shape I got into, the more manageable it has become.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Plug it with some dynamite and kill your workout. Exercising during TOM is not dangerous. It's a normal body function, and you can keep on as you were.

eta... the better shape I got into, the more manageable it has become.

indeed.

Mine's insufferable- long and painful when i'm not working out- when I'm on my game- it's short- 3 days maybe? one day of pre-cramps.

The pre game- 2 days ahead of it- it's awful- and that hasn't changed- but the actual event itself- much more tolerable with working out.
  • MysteriousMerlin
    MysteriousMerlin Posts: 2,270 Member
    Options
    I do not on my heaviest days (usually 2). It's just too uncomfortable. The most I will do is take a walk.
  • lacurandera1
    lacurandera1 Posts: 8,083 Member
    Options
    The only limits you have are the ones you place on yourself.

True story.
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    Just don't ride the stationary bike and you will be ok.
  • danasings
    danasings Posts: 8,218 Member
    Options
    Work out as hard as possible. Every single time you work out. Periods are no exception.

^This.

Unless you have a diagnosed medical condition, there is no reason not to work out during your period. If you need to take it easier, then take a walk or something equally low impact. Activity helps me. But maybe that's just me.
  • Erin_goBrahScience
    Erin_goBrahScience Posts: 1,215 Member
    Options
    What the heck is "ketchup bottle effect"???

I refuse to look that up for fear of images that might show up on my work computer
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    I started my period this morning, I'm doing hill sprints in an hour.
  • GaiaGirl1992
    GaiaGirl1992 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    Try your normal routine. I found my cramps lighten when I'm moving more. I only completely skip a day when I have a headache or respiratory issues.
  • celtbell3
    celtbell3 Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    I don't let it stop me. Ever. In fact, I would say I worker harder and train more intense on these days. It's a good balance - sort of like hitting back. I have no negative impacts and would actually say that the hard work benefits my overall quality of life during this time.
  • SofaKingRad_II
    Options
    Be careful. I heard you can die from it.
  • shaynepoole
    shaynepoole Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    Periods are supposed to stop us from doing stuff? sigh I have apparently been living my whole life wrong. I didn't know that everything was supposed to come to a screeching halt for that time of the month.

Snarkiness aside - do what you would normally do - why would that time of the month be any different?
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    I started my period this morning, I'm doing hill sprints in an hour.

sungaimerah3.jpg
  • doughnutwretch
    doughnutwretch Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    This is such a strange question.

You're not crippled while on your cycle. Come prepared with extra pads/tampons and get to work. You're fully capable of working out as usual. Your flow may be heavier but that's nothing you can't handle.
  • silver_arrow3
    silver_arrow3 Posts: 1,373 Member
    Options
    I am hindered the first day on occasion. Mostly because it feels like my uterus is trying to escape my body with a pickaxe and curling into a ball and sobbing into my pillow (not really) seems to be the best course of action for me.

After that, I'm usually filled with PMS rage and rather enjoy throwing around some weights. I've never had any issues.