Give me a break, Subway!

Options
2»

Replies

• TateFTW
    TateFTW Posts: 658 Member
    Options
    Be careful with that buffalo chicken. I checked the calories on it when I was interested in trying it and it is SKY HIGH. Better off getting an oven roasted chicken breast sandwich and carrying a little bottle of Frank's Red Hot in your pocket.

Oh I know. TBH, I needed a few more calories today for lunch then the oven roasted chicken breast I would normally get, but I didn't want the 96 carbs that come with a footlong.
  • alisha11
    alisha11 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Yeah I have to say I've given up on almost all of Subways food, I even tried the breakfast which was a laugh and a half. I think I'll just stick to Erberts and Gerberts and Jimmy Johns....
  • girlruns
    Options
    My first job was at a Subway and the "correct" way is three of each veggie. So yes, 3 olives, 3 pickles, etc. I always thought it was a little ridiculous and never really followed, but if that guy is feeling the crack down, he is following policy. That being said, I don't mind one bit when someone piles on the veggies, but I would rather they do extra cukes or tomatoes instead of giving me 50 olives!!

And to the spinach, I have also found it harder to find, but I love it when I do!
  • MissingMinnesota
    MissingMinnesota Posts: 7,486 Member
    Options
    My first job was at a Subway and the "correct" way is three of each veggie. So yes, 3 olives, 3 pickles, etc. I always thought it was a little ridiculous and never really followed, but if that guy is feeling the crack down, he is following policy. That being said, I don't mind one bit when someone piles on the veggies, but I would rather they do extra cukes or tomatoes instead of giving me 50 olives!!

And to the spinach, I have also found it harder to find, but I love it when I do!

I also worked at subway through hs and college and veggies are 3 on a six inch and 5 or 6 on a footlong. To get more veggies you just have to ask for more though it isn't like they will charge you for it like they would for meat or cheese. What annoys me is when I ask for a little honey mustard (only wanting one thin line) and they go ahead and put two thick lines of it on.
  • Jennwith2ns
    Jennwith2ns Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Ok thank you, I thought I was losing it. I could have sworn the last few times I went in, they put WAY less veggies than they normally do! He even took OFF some of my olives, lol. And I got a veggie!
  • rfialkiewicz
    rfialkiewicz Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I don't frequent Subway anymore. I usually visit the local sub joint for that business just because I can get better quality meat and bread. Been a while since Subway's satisfied this little food snob. Sorry.
  • LotusF1ower
    LotusF1ower Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    Went in to a local Subway yesterday (not the one I regularly use BTW) and ordered a sandwich (no cheese or mayo, of course). The guy in front of me got a foot long tuna and asked for extra mayo. The girl put 4 lines across the sandwich and he said "let me get some more", so she put 4 MORE LINES ACROSS! It was so thick with mayonnaise that she could hardly close it up to wrap.

So my turn comes and the guy making my sandwich COUNTS OUT the number of black olives. 3!!! He reaches in and gets a handful of banana pepper rings and counts them out, too until he only has one ring left in his hand. So what does he do? He reaches back over and puts the last ring back in the container. I looked at him and said "Man, you guys are stingy with the veggies, I'm glad I don't come here regularly." He just said "They're clamping down."

Hey, I know these are tough economic times, but I'm trying to get the most out of my sandwich!

I refuse to go into Subway anymore, mainly because several months ago, before I started my weight loss programme, I went into a Subway and asked for a baguette with cheese, lettuce and cucumber in. They stuck loads of lettuce and cucumber in the baguette and then, wait for it, you know the cheese slices that are put into cheese burgers? Wel ONE, yes ONE slice, cut into two triangles and she placed these in the baguette.

I was none to happy because there was a gap in the middle of the baguette where there was no cheese, just bloody salad!! When I asked for another slice, she curtly informed me that it would cost another 30 pence!! What a stingy lot they are I tell you.

Well, I complained and she said "it's not my problem" wrapping up the baguette for me to take away. I firmly informed her that yes, it was indeed her problem, because I was not going to pay for it as I no longer wanted it.

"But I've made it now" she says

I said "tough" and walked out.

Subway take the piss in my opinion.
  • angel381
    angel381 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    No no, it's healthy to get all that mayo because it's SUBWAY! It's also healthy to get double bacon and cheese on white bread, because that one guy lost lots of weight eating only Subway. Subway is always healthy, no matter what you get. Everyone knows that.

Personally, I always get extra spinach. I agree that it varies place to place, and even person to person. I splurged today and got a 6" buffalo chicken. I asked for "just a little ranch", and the woman comenced the dousing of my sandwhich, single handedly taking it from small splurge to "now I have to watch what I eat for dinner because I just ate 200 calories of ranch dressing, yay!"

HAHA!! This so happened to me when I went to Subway (I don't eat lunch out very often). I had all my calories entered into my diary as I ordered. I asked for "just a little bit of light mayo" and the girl went to town on my sammich! It took long enough for me to squeal in angst! "Little bit" does not equal 4 lines lady... so I had to readjust my dinner plan since just the lite mayo itself must've been at least 20 grams of fat....
  • Kravmaga
    Options
    This is are kinda crazy stories. Its mostly the franchise differences. I work at subway and my franchise basically says do what makes the customer happy by any means necessary. the only thing extra we charge is extra cheese(after 2 slices for 6" or 4 for 12"), extra bacon(4 strips), double meat and extra pepperoni. When I make a sandwich I go by exactly what the customer orders. If they ask for a little ranch, I make 1 thin pass and ask if its fine. if people want extra veggies there is no charge. When managers estimate cost for a sandwich, they expect every sandwich to have all the toppings, but almost no one ever gets all the toppings, so those veggies can go to someone else.

I started working there in june, and I lost 5 pounds because of all the movement i was doing, then i start gaining a few pounds. after checking on calories, the sandwiches were what i expected, so i didn't eat as much, but then i looked up the cookies and realized i was adding close to 600 calories each time I worked by eating 3 cookies.(I have a discount, and 3 cookies for 74 cents is damn good, especially for the taste.) after learning that, i feel disgusted when i eat just one, so i've given up those cookies for good and for most of the sandwichs except for chicken and turkey.
  • arsenal45
    arsenal45 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Subway is a good option for me because it's A) Healthy (if you order the right things) , B) Cheap , and C) Fresh. One thing I hate about eating healthy is that it costs more.
  • KarenBorter
    KarenBorter Posts: 1,157 Member
    Options
    Kravmanga ... don't know which Subway YOU work at but the one I just went to it was ridiculous. I got a 6" Turkey Jalapeno Melt on WW. Here's how it went:

Me: "Hi there, I would like a 6" jalapeno turkey melt on Whole Wheat"

HIm: "What kind of cheese do you want?"

Me: "um, the kind that is advertised"

Him: <puts on cheese ... and 3 jalapenos>

Me: "May I please have more Jalapenos"

Him: <shoots me a dirty look, and puts on 4 more jalapenos>

Me: "May I have a couple more please?"

Him: <starts looking annoyed and puts on 2 more (for a total of 9 jalapenos)>

Me: "Thank you"

Him: <puts it in the tornado oven>

SANDWICH COMES OUT

Me: "What kind of sauce do you put on it"

Him: "um, whatever you want"

Me: "but what comes ON it?"

Him: "oh, the chipotle"

Me: "Great put that on please"

... continue the order ... had to ask for more red onions, he put 3 pieces on. Seems they ARE coming down. I did ask for more.

So I got the sammich with spinach, cucumber, tomato (3 slices), jalapeno as produce but man it was like pulling teeth.
  • arsenal45
    Options
    Believe it or not, I went back to the same Subway that I originally started this topic about and they loaded me up! I guess it's just gettin gthe right employee at the right time. The guy even got me a new piece of bread because he said the first one he took out felt a bit dry and "he'd rather lose a piece of bread than a customer." Go figure!
  • leslieheb
    leslieheb Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I wish subway would have acacado ... I usually that instead of mayo
  • arsenal45
    Options
    Why doesn't every Subway offer spinach & carrots? BTW, they can keep their foot-long breakfast sandwich. The last thing I need is that much eggs and cheese in the morning.
  • MisdemeanorM
    MisdemeanorM Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    i like extra lettuce and tomatoes. I usually have to ask them 3 times (nope, a little more) before the get it. One more tomato is not "extra" to me :laugh:
  • ErinMarie25
    ErinMarie25 Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    I used to love Subway, but they aren't worth it. imo.
  • MisdemeanorM
    MisdemeanorM Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    I used to love Subway, but they aren't worth it. imo.

Ours does a special for 3 foot longs for $12. I get 2 meals out of one of the sandwiches and my husband 2 or 2 plus a snack out of the other two. Not bad, 4 meals for $12. I won't buy the regular ole non sale ones though. Turkey is my fav, but $6 for a sandwich is too much. I'll buy the pieces and eat homemade subs for a week for $6!
  • arsenal45
    Options
    I love the Fresh Value $3.99 daily special, but skip the days when the sandwich is meatball and tuna. I add the Lay's Light chips for 75 calories.

I caught the episode of Undercover Boss that featured Subway but it seemed fixed to me. Also, I noticed in the commercial, it featured a scene where the store manager asks the undercover COO how many tomatoes to put on a sandwich. He reponds "lots of tomatoes!" and she tells him no way...THREE. They cut that scene out of the final broadcast.