Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

How do your find time balance?

How do you all find/make a time balance that you don't feel guilty about? When I take time for me at the gym, another "ball" inevitable falls.
I work full time (mon - fri 6AM - 3PM) - due to the fact that just getting to work for 6 AM is difficult a morning work out just is not possible for me. I have 2 young daughters that need homework help and are active in dance, a husband that needs some attention and a house that needs cleaning, meals that need cooking ect ect ect. I know that many of you have the same things so how do you make it work?
My husband is ridiculously helpful and willing to takeover as needed but he is also running his own business so he has time constraints as well.
I find myself feeling increasingly guilty for the time I am taking at the gym (4-5 days a week, 1hr sessions - but the gym is 20ish minutes from home as well so it's a couple hours every time I go). And I get frustrated when I get home and the house is trashed and I am too exhausted to deal with it. Weekends are almost always busy with family gatherings, trips out of town and wanting to hang out with friends so it's hard to find time to make up the difference there too.
Advice? Suggestions?

Replies

• kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    I do 30 min home workout DVDs. I'm in the same boat as far as time constraints and family/home obligations and found that right now 30 min is the ideal amount of time to be able to squeeze in exercise and everything else. I do it after the kids are in bed, so that way I get time to myself and my husband also gets some time to himself where he doesn't have to interact with anybody. I'm hoping to increase the time one day, but right now it is what it is. I try to make up for it by doing little things that force me to do more activity - parking farther away from stores, taking stairs whenever I can, standing to fold the laundry instead of sitting, etc.
  • This is something that a lot of mothers/wives struggle with. I'm a working mom, too. My office hours are 7am-5pm, so I have some of the same issues you have with our schedule. I'm fortunate enough to have a maid that comes every 2 weeks to help with the "heavy" cleaning that takes hours of scrubbing, but I still have to keep the house picked up, make dinner, do laundry, help with homework, etc.

This is how I deal with it... my schedule...
    Mon/Wed/Fri: I pack my lunch to eat at my desk and I work out on my lunch break. Even if it's only 30-45 minutes, I make it count. These are days that I have free evenings to do chores, cook meals, play with the kids, etc.

Tuesdays and Thursdays I go to the gym with my husband AND kids - they play with their "friends" in the kid corner while we get in at least an hour workout after work. This is a "fend for yourself night" where everyone eats leftovers, sandwiches or something quick.

Sat/Sun: Husband and I work out together and let the kids play at the gym, or we take turns staying home with the kids. We let the kids decide if they want to go or not.

I plan to workout every day of the week because, without fail, there will always be something that comes up where I have to put my kids first. With this schedule, I can do that without feeling guilty about missing a workout.

Also, I created a "chore chart" and my kids (and husband) help out with things around the house to lessen my load. If they get a certain amount of stickers for helping in one week, then they get a reward. It works for us. You just have to continue to make yourself a priority. Set a schedule and do your best to stick with it. :)
  • Waggoner83
    Waggoner83 Posts: 112 Member
    Hello,

Your life sounds a little bit similiar to mines. My husband is very helpful and is a home body. My husband is a music engineer and is always home after work working on music. I always go workout while he is busy working on his stuff. My husband is normally the cook, so some days I help out before I leave to go work out and some times I will assist him when I return. I have a1 year old and 11 year old, so I always make sure I have them situated before I leave. My 11 year is independent, so I hardly have to worry about him much. I do not have a set workout scheule, but I do workout 6 days a week. You just have to have an open schedule with a husband and kids. I never focus on my stuff until I get them out of the way then Im last but I am priority to get my workout in before the night is over with. My out schedule is different every single day. NO SET TIME!
  • Waggoner83
    Waggoner83 Posts: 112 Member
    This is something that a lot of mothers/wives struggle with. I'm a working mom, too. My office hours are 7am-5pm, so I have some of the same issues you have with our schedule. I'm fortunate enough to have a maid that comes every 2 weeks to help with the "heavy" cleaning that takes hours of scrubbing, but I still have to keep the house picked up, make dinner, do laundry, help with homework, etc.

This is how I deal with it... my schedule...
    Mon/Wed/Fri: I pack my lunch to eat at my desk and I work out on my lunch break. Even if it's only 30-45 minutes, I make it count. These are days that I have free evenings to do chores, cook meals, play with the kids, etc.

Tuesdays and Thursdays I go to the gym with my husband AND kids - they play with their "friends" in the kid corner while we get in at least an hour workout after work. This is a "fend for yourself night" where everyone eats leftovers, sandwiches or something quick.

Sat/Sun: Husband and I work out together and let the kids play at the gym, or we take turns staying home with the kids. We let the kids decide if they want to go or not.

I plan to workout every day of the week because, without fail, there will always be something that comes up where I have to put my kids first. With this schedule, I can do that without feeling guilty about missing a workout.

Also, I created a "chore chart" and my kids (and husband) help out with things around the house to lessen my load. If they get a certain amount of stickers for helping in one week, then they get a reward. It works for us. You just have to continue to make yourself a priority. Set a schedule and do your best to stick with it. :)
  • hdbuck
    hdbuck Posts: 27 Member
    There are so many different home workout DVD's you can purchase, or find videos of for free on YouTube. I love Zumba, personally. It's fun, works your whole body, and it's basically just dancing! This way, you're at home and able to help when you can, and you can pause it if needed. They also have Rush workouts (from 20-30 minutes each) so that way if you really are in a hurry you can at least fit SOMETHING in.
  • lma81
    lma81 Posts: 6 Member
    I have a TON of home workout CD's - what I lack is the motivation/drive to complete them :(
    That is why I go to the gym - I need classes and others for that motivation to really push. I hope at some point that changes and a home workout will be a real option for me but for now, it's to the gym!
  • kshadows
    kshadows Posts: 1,315 Member
    Not a ton of advice but I know where you are!! I work full-time, have a 5 year old and a 15 month old, I'm responsible for all cooking and a good chunk of housework, spending time with my DH, losing weight and I'm in college too. Somedays I think I'm crazy!!

Just manage and plan ahead as much as possible. It helps me to get up in the morning and thing "OK, work, dinner, time with kids, laundry, run" then the next night "Work, dinner, time with the kids, homework, time with DH". I try to switch off everything and it works fairly well most of the time!
  • ponycyndi
    ponycyndi Posts: 858 Member
    I have to make my workouts a priority. If I don't, no one else will do it for me, and I'm better off in the long run if I do it first.

So for now, I have to cut corners where I can. So yes, my laundry might stack up, our my kids have to help with chores or do more things for themselves, and we have to rely on more convenience foods (which aren't all junk food!).

But I do what I can, when I can. And the more I work out, the more energy I have to get everything done!
  • twixlepennie
    twixlepennie Posts: 1,074 Member
    I'm a SAHM, so my situation is different, but I don't do the gym thing-too much money and time. Instead I just do an at home strength training program 3 days/30 minutes a time, no extra equipment, and then 3 days/20 minutes jogging on rebounder (mini-trampoline). 20-30 minutes a day is easy to fit in (especially since I'm not driving somewhere to do it), and I'm getting results. Good enough for me :)

Eta: I lost over 50lbs without doing any exercise at all. Nothing. I didn't start until I began transitioning into maintenance and I started with walking. For weight loss you don't have to exercise-it's about a calorie deficit. If you're struggling to fit in the exercise and it's causing you extra stress, why not cut back a bit?