working out and massages

Options
JulieAnn72
JulieAnn72 Posts: 795 Member
Tomorrow is my birthday so I'm treating myself to day off from work and a massage. I'm just getting a regular 50 minute full body massage, not a sports massage or deep tissue massage.

One of the other things I'm looking forward to is having time to work out in the morning without having to get up early! But the program I'm doing on Fitness Blender has me doing a 30 minutes chest and back superset workout. So, is there any issue with doing a workout like that a few hours before going for a massage? I am hoping to have the masseuse focus on my shoulders and back since my muscles are all somewhat sore from the program to begin with (not anything bad - just standard soreness from working out).

Also, what about the next day? I think I've seen people say you should take a day off from working out after a deep tissue massage, but what about a regular massage? Should I plan to take a rest day on Wednesday?

Replies

• GingerLolita
    GingerLolita Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    I don't see how there'd be a problem with working out before your massage. You won't really know if you need a rest day until after your massage. See how your body feels when you wake up Wednesday and listen to it.
  • amandagracelee314
    Options
    You should be fine as long as you drink plenty of water, especially after the massage :)
  • dshalbert
    dshalbert Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    Enjoy your day off, work-out and massage. It's your birthday. The next day you will figure out what's best.
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    I've lifted the same day I've gotten a massage, but always before the massage. I usually get a deep tissue massage (which is painful & I'm sore the day after) so I plan to take the day after the massage off. That's what works best for me, anyway.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    oohh I'm jealous.... I need to get a groupon for a massage...
  • lmarshel
    lmarshel Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    Working out the day of should actually be beneficial. Your muscles will be nice and warmed-up, which is a good thing. I would recommend that you take time to steam or get a long warm shower before your service. That will give you the best results from your massage.

And a regular massage should not prevent you from working out the following day. As mentioned previously, drink lots of water after your service to flush out the system. Then get a good night's sleep. You should be good to go the next day. :happy:
  • bagge72
    bagge72 Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    You should be fine as long as you drink plenty of water, especially after the massage :)

This! The massage will force the water out of your muscles, so drink plenty of water after so your muscles can heal from your workout.
  • JulieAnn72
    JulieAnn72 Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I ended up doing my workout in the morning and then had the massage in the afternoon. It was wonderful! She even used hot stones, which I had never had before. Wow! That was nice.

I'm sore today - more from the workouts I did on Mon and Tues than the massage - but I'm planning on working out in the evening since I have to take a rest day tomorrow due to my schedule. I figured I'd wait until evening instead of doing my workout this morning. But otherwise, all is good. And I'm feeling much more relaxed. :bigsmile: