Running with asthma in the cold

Options
Hello all. I'm hoping someone out there can help me. I have recently begun the c25k app and am in week 3. I've noticed that running inside, on the treadmill, I do great. I tried to run outside in the cold (Im in the midwest US so around 40 degrees or so), and both times I end up gasping for breath by the end of the run and just have a horrible time during it. I had to use my rescue inhaler when I got home and was immediately fine. Overall, my asthma doesn't really bother me, so I'm not used to having these attacks. Since I have to run the 5K outside in the end of March (and its in the evening), I know it's going to be cold. Is there any advice anyone has on helping this issue? I'm not really sure what to do at this point.

Replies

• ashcky
    ashcky Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    Take your inhaler before you run outside and see how you do. The cold is gonna make your asthma flare up.
  • NCSteveVH
    NCSteveVH Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I also have asthma (since childhood) and running in the cold triggers my asthma. I'm not saying this will work for you, but for me, I always take a puff of my albuterol inhaler immediately BEFORE my run in the cold weather. This keeps my asthma symptoms from starting up during the run. Might be worth a try if you have an inhaler.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Take your inhaler before you run outside and see how you do. The cold is gonna make your asthma flare up.

Yep. Inhaler first might help, or you may never be able to run in the cold. And make sure to bring your inhaler with!
  • fleetzz
    fleetzz Posts: 962 Member
    Options
    Inhaler 1/2 hour prior to exercise and take it with you. Cold triggers asthma as does exercise (in some people). You may also consider speaking with your doc about prophylactic asthma meds. My son does much better running when he takes his flovent daily.
  • StunningLegerity
    StunningLegerity Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Thank you all so much for your replies! I will try taking my inhaler before my running to see if that helps!