Your thoughts on dairy

Options
I LOVE cheese. Just putting it out there. But I when I carefully read the nutrition fact of mozzarella cheese, I found out that it has some saturated fat and quite a few calories. So my question is, is dairy bad for you? Not just cheese, but dairy in general. Thanks!

Replies

• WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    I try VERY hard to get my cheese "fix" from very moderate amounts of cottage cheese, mozzarella cheese, cream cheese and Parmesan cheese.

Dairy is not bad for you if you can tolerate lactose. Though, you don't specifically NEED dairy, if you have other sources for calcium. And saturated fats aren't bad for you, if you're eating good fats, too. It's TRANS fats that should be avoided at all costs, in my opinion.
  • fitphoenix22
    Options
    Cheese is delicious and packed with protein... and, yes, it has fat. So does chicken. And steak. And avacados. And fish. And nuts.
    Bottom line... don't be afraid of eating some fat. It's an essential part of a diet. Fat doesn't cause you to be fat, eating too many calories does. So, like anything else, cheese is fine if you eat it in moderation and stay within a calorie deficit.
  • albayin
    albayin Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    These days I don't know any more if there's anything absolutely good or bad for me since we are going through an information chaos at the moment...

I would love to eat more cheese but lactose makes me feel so unpleasant so I have to stay away...
  • sjp_511
    sjp_511 Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    Cheese is delicious and packed with protein... and, yes, it has fat. So does chicken. And steak. And avacados. And fish. And nuts.
    Bottom line... don't be afraid of eating some fat. It's an essential part of a diet. Fat doesn't cause you to be fat, eating too many calories does. So, like anything else, cheese is fine if you eat it in moderation and stay within a calorie deficit.

QFT

This cheese fan agrees. Love cheese!
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    The saturated fats in dairy are good for you.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options

QFT!!

I love dairy but MFP has taught me to be a bit more careful with my consumption. Before joining the site, I freely drank 1% milk, ate tons of "standard" yogurt (fruit on the bottom stuff), and piled on cheese with most recipes. I am not a person who believes that sugar and sodium are evil but I definitely don't wanna go nuts with either so it's helped me rein myself in a bit now that I know the nutritional info.
  • JenJBS
    JenJBS Posts: 83
    Options
    As with ANY food: Moderation. As long as you account for it in your daily calorie count, you'll be fine. As another post mentions, we need some fat in our diet, and at least with cheese you're also getting protein.

Also, no food is good or bad. Food is food... It's the amount that tends to be good or bad for our health.
  • 80sFanatic88
    80sFanatic88 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Coming from the dairy state, I gotta say, I can't live without it. :blushing:
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,021 Member
    Options
    Cheese should only be eaten by baby cows. :bigsmile: