Looking for recipes for group of 40 people

Options
sirenn9
sirenn9 Posts: 12 Member
Hi Everyone,

I am desperately looking for ideas of side dishes to serve at a party I am having. It's a party to celebrate a marriage and there will be about 40 people there.

Do any of you have any ideas for main courses, side dishes and/or desserts that are affordable and at least somewhat healthy for a group this large? I am stressing out a little bit since the party is in a week and a half and am trying to do this with a modest budget.

Any help would be greatly appreciated soooo much- you have no idea! :-)

Replies

• knra_grl
    knra_grl Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    I would roast turkeys that way they could be carved and the meat put into one big pan and maybe some swedish meatballs borrow a couple crock pots so they can be kept warm).

then I would make various side dishes:
    potatoes or potato salad
    pasta salad
    coleslaw
    bean salad
    maybe some fresh veg and fruit platters (easy to refill if everything is cut up ahead)

Other options?
    Lasagne(s)
    roasts (pork or beef) could get expensive
    baked beans

Desserts - I would just make ahead a bunch of dainties and cookies and put the platters on the tables once the main meal is done

Edit - perhaps you could recruit some others to make at least one side dish for you.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,018 Member
    Options
    What time of day, is it sit down or walk around? What is your budget?
  • sirenn9
    Options
    Thank you so much!

It's a walk around party... I am hoping tp spend under $500
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,018 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much!

It's a walk around party... I am hoping tp spend under $500
    Well, you have to have an oyster bar.....lol but seriously that's a good thing to have and it's pretty easy.....count on 1 per person considering some won't have any.

Cheese and Charcuterie. 3 or 4 cheeses like a triple brie, a blue and a hard cheese like a truffled pecorino. The meats could be a combination of say, serrano ham, pate's, terrines, dry-cured salami, prosciutto, or chorizo along with some smoked or gravlax salmon, poached cold shrimp.

You need a vehicle for the above so some good breads, crostini's, foccatia, crackers and make sure you have some artisanal breads with nuts and fruit to compliment the cheeses. Along with some sweet counterpoint like a port and cherry compote or mango and brandy compote......there's a lot of different types, so take a look and of course the pepper jelly.

Assorted olives, pickles and pickled veg like asparagus, beets etc. Slices of pear and apple, prosciutto-wrapped melon, figs, roasted nuts and a crudite platter with the usual suspect plus a few like fennel, sugar snap peas,zucchini, scallions, asparagus, cooked fingerling potatoes, green or yellow beans, endive, baby purple carrots and a at least 2 dipping sauces. a Tzatziki for sure and something heavier, maybe a blue cheese ranch.

Possibly Vietnamese spring rolls which are veg and possibly shrimp and/or chicken wrapped in rice paper with a dipping sauce. Samosa's with a tamarind sauce. Chicken or lamb satay with peanut sauce. and if you know a good Sushi place near you I would grab a platter of assorted sushi.........you can arrange it to make it look better and it's generally a hit with most people. A soup in a warming terrine is good. Hope this helps.
  • sirenn9
    Options
    Thank you so much! These are all great ideas!
  • sirenn9
    Options
    Thanks! Lasagna! I had not thought of that but that is definitely some easy to make, easy on the budget and delicious! Thank you!
  • Mother_Superior
    Mother_Superior Posts: 1,624 Member
    Options
    Pick a recipe that serves one, and make 40 of them.
    tumblr_inline_mssrsxeJ5N1qz4rgp.gif
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options

You're such a giver.
  • Mother_Superior
    Mother_Superior Posts: 1,624 Member
    Options

You're such a giver.

That's the rumor...
    Lucille-Bluth-Wink-Arrested-Development.gif