workout advice

Options
Ok, So I have a question. About 3 years ago, I lost about 80 pounds doing cardio only. Over the next year, I gained almost all of it back. Pretty much because I lost focus, went through a bad breakup and stopped caring. Anyways, I jumped back into this over the summer. I started swimming every day until the pool closed for the season. I also walked and rode my bike. I had to switch to walking indoor once the weather in my state really cooled off and the roads got icy. In October I started StrongLifts 5x5 and stayed with it until the first part of January. Didn't lose weight but lost a couple inches. I lifted 3 days a week and did cardio 2. Then I had my yearly visit with my doctor. We discussed what I was doing workout wise and food wise. My doctor then explained some things to me and wants me to walk for an hour every single day. Since that visit 3 weeks ago, I've walked for an hour every day except for 2. I've lost 5 pounds. Here's' the question. I want to start lifting again but my doctor wants me to walk every single day.
So I guess I'm looking for some advice on what I should do. I know last time I started lifting the scale went up for all those lovely reasons. I'm wondering if I should weight until I lose 15 pounds to start lifting again. That would put me at 285 pounds. Or should I focus on cardio through the month of February or what?
Once I do start lifting, should I do my walk/jog before or after I lift? I've been working on C25K and on my walk only days, I push myself hard on the treadmill. Even though I am fat, I am actually in fairly decent shape for a fat person.
Suggestions on what would be best for me to do?
On January 1st I set a goal to lose 40 pounds total by May 31st. I lost 5 in January. I'm very vigilant with what I eat and I'm very motivated. I have a closet full of "skinny" clothes that I want to get back into.

Replies

• christopherphillips1983
    Options
    Did your doctor specifically tell you NOT to lift weights, or just that he wanted you to walk a mile each day? If he didn't say you should stop lifting, and you enjoy doing it, then I'd personally walk as he suggested but also do some strength training periodically. I do a mix of cardio and weight-lifting almost every day rather than having an all-cardio day, then an all-lifting day, and so on.
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    You can do both. I walk 20 to 30 miles a week in addition to 5/3/1 and HIIT. I don't usually walk on days that I lift, but you can, since it's low-intensity. If you're going to do them on the same day, I would lift first so that you are at full strength and are better able to maintain proper form, which gets more difficult as your muscles and CNS become fatigued. Plus, low-intensity cardio is good for muscle recovery.

And I don't see any reason to put off lifting until you lose weight. Like you, I lost a lot of weight doing just cardio and dieting, and I wish I had started lifting from day one. It's not going to slow down your weight loss if you are in a deficit, and it will help you retain your lean mass while you lose body fat.