How to lose weight without diet?

Options
3 years ago i lost 100 lbs by calorie counting, and overly exercising (2 hours per day, 6 days a week). i got overeating issues and gained the weight back. Even worse, i damaged my gallbladder. i had pain for a year, until the pain got so intense i went to the ER only to find my pancreas was inflamed, so they had to remove my gallbladder. i had the surgery about 5 months ago.

i found out that yoyo dieting is what is causing this sudden increase in gallbladder disease. even the nurse told me they are constantly removing gallbladders at the hospital. i want to lose weight, but i do NOT want to go back to obsessively dieting/exercising. i want to lose weight without damaging my body. How can i do this?

im trying to eat healthy, and have even given up fast food. which is pretty big for me as i used to eat fast food a lot. I am having trouble with giving up sweets, i always swear i wont buy any, but i always do. 0_0 Any advice would be greatly appreciated. My health is important and i cant keep putting off getting myself to a healthy weight.

Replies

• dakotababy
    dakotababy Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    Focus on eating under your calorie goal for the next while. Dont worry so much about exercise at this point, just get the eating habits under control - that is what gets a person to lose weight. SLOWLY add in exercise. Remember when you exercise you have to ask yourself "can i do this every day for the rest of my life?" and if the answer is no - than slow down.
  • action_figure
    action_figure Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    3 years ago i lost 100 lbs by calorie counting, and overly exercising (2 hours per day, 6 days a week). i got overeating issues and gained the weight back. Even worse, i damaged my gallbladder. i had pain for a year, until the pain got so intense i went to the ER only to find my pancreas was inflamed, so they had to remove my gallbladder. i had the surgery about 5 months ago.

i found out that yoyo dieting is what is causing this sudden increase in gallbladder disease. even the nurse told me they are constantly removing gallbladders at the hospital. i want to lose weight, but i do NOT want to go back to obsessively dieting/exercising. i want to lose weight without damaging my body. How can i do this?

im trying to eat healthy, and have even given up fast food. which is pretty big for me as i used to eat fast food a lot. I am having trouble with giving up sweets, i always swear i wont buy any, but i always do. 0_0 Any advice would be greatly appreciated. My health is important and i cant keep putting off getting myself to a healthy weight.

"Calorie counting" isn't a monolithic thing. How did you lose your weight last time? What was your deficit like? I am "Calorie counting", and I get about 1600 calories a day, and I do strength training and steady state cardio, plus HIIT. Someone else may be eating 800 calories a day and doing only steady state cardio. So, what did you do before, more specifically?
  • beertrollruss
    beertrollruss Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    If you have insurance I recommend asking your doctor to refer you to a registered dietitian.
  • Nikiki
    Nikiki Posts: 993
    Options
    what helped me was to slow down the weight loss. Instead of trying to lose 2 pounds a week I cut my goal to just 1/2 a pound a week figuring that slow losses were better than yoyo loss/gains. Actually I wound up losing faster and more consistently once i upped my calories.

I agree with the "can i do this every day for the rest of my life" advice that the above poster gave, thats part of why I bumped my calories too, but also for the workouts. I know a few people who seem to struggle with maintenance after losing by working out 2-3 times a day. Work on a clean diet, get into a light exercise routine and dont rush yourself!

As for sweets, I too have an issue with them (this past weekend was especially bad!!) what works best for me is to plan something sweet into every day and stick to portion controlled snacks like an ice cream bar or piece of chocolate. And foster a dessert snob attitude. Get the good stuff for your treats and don't waste any time or calories on inferior treats (is that snickers really going to be as good as the dark chocolate sea salt caramel I have waiting for me?? I think not!).
    When I plan the treat in sometimes I wind up not even eating it, must be something in my head that triggers me with the forbidden treat vs the allowed treat!
  • Erikalynne18
    Erikalynne18 Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    I think you should focus on making healthy choices that you can maintain overtime :) This is why many people suggest only losing up to 2 lbs/wk. A lot of people want to lose weight quickly, but when you lose it more slowly you can teach your body about portion control and form healthy habits.

I know losing weight is exciting and seeing the scale move can make you determined to 'push harder' and 'eat less' but sometimes that isn't the healthiest option :( Make sure you always eat enough to fuel your body. Remember that food is fuel and it is a good thing! :) Chances are that food did NOT make you gain weight, it was other factors and habits that caused you to over eat. Maybe think about these and how you can adjust things in your life to make better choices :)
  • SkinnyRach22
    Options
    If you have insurance I recommend asking your doctor to refer you to a registered dietitian.

This ^
  • starrylioness
    starrylioness Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    Just set a calorie goal and make healthy choices when you can. I had my gallbladder removed years ago as well.
  • twixlepennie
    twixlepennie Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options

This is a good idea. In the end it is about eating at a calorie deficit. But, a dietician may be able to help you navigate your way through that, since you've had problems in the past.
  • Rayman79
    Rayman79 Posts: 2,009 Member
    Options
    I'm guessing you WAY overdid it last time. Dieting and exercising 'Biggest Loser' style.

The trick is to learn how to eat and create a healthy sustainable lifestyle. You can track your food without being obsessed, and you can lose weight by eating sensibly, just below your maintenance level, and getting a bit of exercise (which is as much for your health as it is for weight loss).

MFP is a great tool, just approach this with a long term view. You have seen what happens when you go too far, just approach it with a more moderate goal this time. There is plenty of support here if and when you need it!
  • SkinnyRach22
    Options
    It is so easy to become obsessed. Sometimes it is more then just learning how to eat sensibly. A professional really helps when you feel out of control with food and dieting and results.