Weight loss journey post stroke

Options
March 15th will be a year since my life changed. I had suffered a massive stroke. I was at the hospital when I was suppose to be at my doctor's office for my HBP (wasn't related to the stroke). I won't torture you with going through the whole story but fast forward almost a year, I can walk pretty good with a cane as long as I have my AFO (ankle/foot brace) on which the doctors are rather surprised at. One of the many issues that was an effect from the stroke is hypothyroidism. I'm eating much cleaner (for at least the past month) and making sure I get at LEAST 15 minutes of exercise in every day (I am aiming for 30 though). The reason for this post is...still being disabled, I'm trying to do as many different exercises as I can. So if anyone else is even slightly in the same type of shoes, what exercises do you do? My problem area is my stomach. I'm on meds for the hypothyroidism so hopefully it'll start to fall off. I've already lost a few pounds but I refuse to go back to eating crap!

Replies

• Junken_Diraffe
    Junken_Diraffe Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    Congrats to you! My stroke was 5 years ago now. Luckily, I had no lasting effects, though I was entirely paralyzed for nearly 2 weeks. I use weight training and running to stay fit. Running is out, but if your balance is good enough, maybe ask your PT about starting some weight training. That has made the single biggest difference in my physique. My stomach is flatter now than it was before my stroke, thanks, in large part, to lifting. And I don't mean ab workouts. Compound lifting will make the difference. Don't be afraid of it because you're a girl or because you have a disability. Please be safe and follow your PTs recommendations, but I recommend looking into it. Good luck and keep working!!
  • hozik
    hozik Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Hats off to the both of you for your recovery! I read a really interesting book about a young brain scientist that had a stroke. It's called "My Stroke of Insight". There is also a website of resources by the same name. You may find it helpful. Keep up the good work!:flowerforyou:
  • Junken_Diraffe
    Junken_Diraffe Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    Hats off to the both of you for your recovery! I read a really interesting book about a young brain scientist that had a stroke. It's called "My Stroke of Insight". There is also a website of resources by the same name. You may find it helpful. Keep up the good work!:flowerforyou:

Amazing book and great suggestion!
  • glennstoudt
    glennstoudt Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    First off congratulations on the recovery you have accomplished so far and for the courage it requires, and sharing your story with us.
    Have had a similar experience. Recall being weak but just working at recovery, a little bit more each day in the process. Whatever exercise you can do, do it. It is a wonderful privilege, not a chore or an obligation.
    Check in from time to time. This on line community is very supportive in my view. Best wishes,
  • AllisonSyzdek
    Options
    Congrats to you! My stroke was 5 years ago now. Luckily, I had no lasting effects, though I was entirely paralyzed for nearly 2 weeks. I use weight training and running to stay fit. Running is out, but if your balance is good enough, maybe ask your PT about starting some weight training. That has made the single biggest difference in my physique. My stomach is flatter now than it was before my stroke, thanks, in large part, to lifting. And I don't mean ab workouts. Compound lifting will make the difference. Don't be afraid of it because you're a girl or because you have a disability. Please be safe and follow your PTs recommendations, but I recommend looking into it. Good luck and keep working!!
    I will ask about weight training. I'll probably have to wait because although I can lift a little weight on my right side, it's still numb for the most part. I should get feeling back within the next year though. Thank you :)
  • AutumnFrostfall
    AutumnFrostfall Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I had mild strokes which left me very weak on my right side & messed up my motor skills among other things. (The last documented one was in 2009) I couldn't even lift a jug of milk with my right hand after it happened. For me, going back to basics helped. What do you do with kids for motor skills? Puzzles. Things with eye hand coordination. (not health / work out related, but I found video games helped with that aspect as well. ) Eventually I moved from walking to weight training which has helped, along with yoga.