Unsweetened Almond, Soy or Coconut Coffee Creamers?

Options
I'm not a full vegetarian or vegan, but I've cut back on my meat and milk consumption for both lowering fat and ethical reasons. One big area of progress is that I haven't purchased milk in at least two years because I use unsweetened almond milk, and I enjoy coconut or rice milk ice cream. However, I do buy half and half because I can't stand anything sweet in my coffee. Almond milk doesn't have the right consistency, but all the vegan creamers I've seen are sweetened. Does anyone know of an unsweetened product? It can be plain or flavored, but I don't want any sweetener.

Replies

• FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    There are cashew creams (and other blends) in the boxed (not refrigerated) milk sections of stores that specialize in alternatives.
  • fitformidlife
    Options
    There are cashew creams (and other blends) in the boxed (not refrigerated) milk sections of stores that specialize in alternatives.
    Hmmm, I didn't ever realize that. I'll have to check out the non-refrigerated sections. My local grocery store has a lot of organic and vegetarian options, plus I have a Whole Foods fairly close by. Thanks!
  • FlaxMilk
    Options
    No problem, hope you find something you like. I haven't had the cashew cream in a while but remember it being pretty good.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Does it have to be a creamer? Unsweetened coconut milk is pretty rich, especially the stuff in the cans (vs the kind that's sold as a milk replacement refrigerated). You can usually find canned unsweetened coconut milk in the ethnic section of a regular grocery store, near the asian and thai food products.
  • cactuswax
    cactuswax Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Does it have to be a creamer? Unsweetened coconut milk is pretty rich, especially the stuff in the cans (vs the kind that's sold as a milk replacement refrigerated). You can usually find canned unsweetened coconut milk in the ethnic section of a regular grocery store, near the asian and thai food products.

this. it's rich and the good kind of saturated fat.. a little goes a long way. you can also whip this in a mixer and make sort of a coconut cream/fluff texture.

the downside to whatever non-dairy alternatives there are out there is that they often add thickeners like carageenan and stabilizers. this tends to cancel out benefits.
  • CynthiasChoice
    CynthiasChoice Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    I use Trader Joe's unsweetened soy milk in my coffee. Hope you find just the right thing. The right cup of coffee is important!
  • FlaxMilk
    Options
    A dab of coconut oil is surprisingly not bad, too. Looks gross, tastes good.

Doh. Why I never thought to try this with my non-dairy milk is beyond me. I get stuck in either/or thinking. I like the flavors of the various milks I use but would like a less thin feel too.
  • takumaku
    takumaku Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    A dab of coconut oil is surprisingly not bad, too. Looks gross, tastes good.

This. I have also used olive oil or peanut butter in the past. Just drop all the stuff in a blender (or use a handheld frother) and blend for a few seconds. Very yummy!
  • fitformidlife
    Options
    Those are all great suggestions! I think I'm looking for the "mouth feel" of something thick, if that makes any sense. I drink flavored coffees brewed in a Keurig, and cream just seems to bring out the flavor nicely for me. I am going to experiment with these suggestions, as I suspect that they might give me what I'm looking for. It definitely doesn't have to be creamer, as long as it doesn't add sweetness but adds that texture.