Treadmill Minutes Feel Like Hours

Options
2»

Replies

• MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options
    Dress for the weather, go outside, get fit. It is that simple. Don't worry about other runners out when you do your run .... most are or have been slow, not "that fit", etc. Save the treadmill for torrential downpours and iced over days.

Obviously you don't live in Michigan. It was -18 here a week or so ago, snowy and icy everywhere. You can't dress to run in those conditions.
    My elliptical machine is parked in front of the TV, end of problem.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    Dress for the weather, go outside, get fit. It is that simple. Don't worry about other runners out when you do your run .... most are or have been slow, not "that fit", etc. Save the treadmill for torrential downpours and iced over days.

Obviously you don't live in Michigan. It was -18 here a week or so ago, snowy and icy everywhere. You can't dress to run in those conditions.

I beg to differ. I'm not judging those who choose to stay inside, but saying you can't dress for those conditions is bogus.
  • Marcia315
    Marcia315 Posts: 460 Member
    Options

If I saved indoor exercise for iced over days, I'd be inside from November to April. I live in Upstate NY, the land of lake effect snow.
  • Marcia315
    Marcia315 Posts: 460 Member
    Options

I beg to differ. I'm not judging those who choose to stay inside, but saying you can't dress for those conditions is bogus.

How do I dress for -30? It sucks exercising out in that.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options

How do I dress for -30? It sucks exercising out in that.

I'm more concerned with windchill myself, but assuming the worst, bottom to top I would wear:

Smartwool socks
    Thermo tights
    Thermo warmups
    LS tech shirt
    Fleece over that
    Windbreaker over that
    Lightweight windblocking gloves
    Fleece gloves over those
    Thermo skullcap
    Balaclava
    Neck buff (if very windy)
    Sunglasses

Not saying it's fun, but I really really hate treadmills with a passion
  • redheaddee
    redheaddee Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    I call it the Hamstermill. HATE the tread. However, great dance music really helps. And covering the timer on the display.

Which is longer...a treadmill minute or a microwave minute??

(I say a pregnancy test minute is by far the longest.)
  • maybeazure
    maybeazure Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I live in Northern Iowa, and I know what you mean about the weather. Sometimes I'll bundle up and walk outside, but there's no way I'm going to try to run when the streets are all covered in ice. I'd fall and break my neck for sure.

What I have been doing is upping the intensity and decreasing the time that I spend on the treadmill. I do high intensity intervals mostly. I burn the same number of calories in a shorter time, and since it takes pretty much all of my focus, I don't get nearly as bored.