age 60+group

looking for female friends in age 60+ group.

Replies

• Jeanne130LBS
    Jeanne130LBS Posts: 50 Member
    Hi, just joined this week. I am a 71 year young female. Not very tech savvy so hope you see this. I am having a problem seeing how to post a new weight' My name is Jeanne and I live in Oregon, how bout you? I originally joined in aug 2012 and then never followed thru. Plan on doing better this time.
  • Jeanne130LBS
    aydelotte1951 stiill looking for a friend? Happy to post here if u are
  • gran2one
    gran2one Posts: 2 Member
    Looking for friends in my age group (64) for support and motivation. Just joined today and started using Fitbit yesterday. Love counting my steps - a real motivator!
  • ellenmja
    ellenmja Posts: 13 Member
    62 y.o. female looking for motivators that I can help also. Lost 50 pounds last year but at a plateau I am having trouble getting off of. Need to lose 20 to 30 more pounds. I post my diary every day and only want to friend people that also post theirs, otherwise it is impossible to help each other.
  • ktsmom430
    ktsmom430 Posts: 1,100 Member
    I am 62 and signed up in February 2012. I began in earnest on March 12, 2012 and have not looked back.
    I have had a fitbit since February 2013 and love the motivation that it gives me to move more. I have been in a step challenge since January 1, 2014 on Fitbit's website.
  • I joined on Jan. 31, 2014. I will have completed a week this Friday. I have a lot of weight to lose, over 100 lbs., but I am determined!
  • KathleenC12
    KathleenC12 Posts: 64 Member
    Hi newcomers! I'm 65. Joined in summer of 2012. Lost 32ish, slowly. MFP has been a terrific help, I could not do it alone. Don't ever give up, and log every day even if you are not under your cals.
  • mamaomefo
    mamaomefo Posts: 418 Member
    Hello all,
    I am 59, almost in the 60 something group. I post my diary every day, except I am coming off a couple months of an out of town family emergency where I ate terribly and wasn't able to post .I am on the wagon again after gaining back all the 12 pounds I had lost before the emergency. I would love to have more friends to help me along the way and to help motivate you also. I do like to exercise, mostly the elliptical and the treadmill, some weight lifting.:flowerforyou:
  • Jeanne130LBS
    hello ktsmom430, i am so impressed with your weightloss. Congrats, you must work very hard at it. I have 20 lbs to lose and was hoping I could do it and then I read your post and am so motivated. Pardon my ignorance but what is a fitbit? Also I got my Progress meter to show when I post, but it doesn't show what I have lost. Can you help?
  • Jeanne130LBS
    Yea! lost 2 lbs first week and figured out how to get my lbs lost to show on my fitness meter.
  • LinDiSm26262
    LinDiSm26262 Posts: 234 Member
    you're more than welcome to add me. 63 years young.
  • LinDiSm26262
    LinDiSm26262 Posts: 234 Member
    would love to be friends with any of you ladies. I post every day. we can do this!
  • gspieler
    gspieler Posts: 29 Member
    Hi Everyone

I'm 68 and trying to shed 20 pounds. I weigh as much now as I did when I was pregnant!!!!

I'm determined not to turn into one of those "chubby" older ladies. I still feel young. I have a "mini" orchard, (222 fruit trees and chickens and take care of it all myself. My sweetie isn't into this stuff, but helps out with the chickens if I'm out of town.

It's darn difficult to shed this weight at this age. I'm not terribly overweight, so I guess the less you have to lose, the harder it is?

But, I'm staying just below 1200 calories and exercise hard four days a week getting my heart rate up there.

Still, not budging. What gives?
  • Cindy781
    Cindy781 Posts: 535 Member
    Hi. I am 55 and don't have very much to lose either. It is hard. I suggest you add strength training. You need muscle to help burn calories. This is part of the reason it is easier for men to lose weight more quickly than women. Hope this helps.:smile:
  • Jeanne130LBS
    How long have you been at this? . we are close in age (I am 71) and need to lose 20 lbs also. Do you eat protein with every meal balanced with veggies and fruit? I admire how hard you work with your chickens and fruit trees. I am retired, living where winter is cold and wet so I have to be sure I either excercise in my house or put on good coat and boots and walk. I find that I had no idea how many calories I was eating until I started my food diary. Good luck to you, hang in there and I am sure the weight will begin to come off. I have been at this for almost 2 wks. I lost 2 lbs the first week and can't wait to weigh this week. :drinker:
  • gspieler
    gspieler Posts: 29 Member
    Interesting you talk about strength training. You are so right.

I've been doing the elliptical training that does give some strength work as you can set resistance, but not the same as weights. I get great cardio, but enough of a real weight workout.

Hence....on my agenda now.

So....will definitely take your advice and add strength training into the mix.

I live in the San Francisco Bay area. So while we are having mild weather....which is terrible as you have already heard, it does allow me to work outside a lot. I lived in Rhode Island and Wash DC for 11 years and don't miss the snow and ice on my way to work!!!! However, I'm terrified about our latest drought.
  • Cindy781
    Cindy781 Posts: 535 Member
    Yea! Good. For you. I have been doing strength steadily for almost three years. I have done it off and on for many years. Tosca Reno is an inspiration for me, as is Ernestine Shepherd (77 yrs. young). It is simple math, you burn more calories with more muscle. Hubby has been telling me this for years. I am not in my 60's yet, but love all of the motivation and positive attitude of you ladies!::flowerforyou:
  • Jeanne130LBS
    Anyone know why my ticker keeps disappearing?
  • trisH_7183
    trisH_7183 Posts: 1,486 Member
    Look under motivation & Support for a group of age 50 or more.You are all welcome to join.
  • greatgrandmimi
    greatgrandmimi Posts: 5 Member
    Hi, I go by greatgrandmimi, I am 69years and I am just starting over. I was on MYP a few years ago, and so I am back hoping to do much, much better this time. I also belong to a TOPS group near my home. I am from Pennsylvania, central part. I would love to help encourage you on your walk with trying to get healthy and back into life. If you would be interested in talking with me. Just reply and I will answer.